Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 92 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

8 minutes ago, LF:D said:

That's cool mate.

I definitely don't see CB as a priority either & agree I'd probably upgrade Lovren but not sure it will happen.  Then again I could see it happening too.  Players like Lovren, Shaqiri - I think we probably would sell for the right price but aren't in a rush or actively looking to do it either.  

Pearce really isn't an ITK anymore.  He very much just delivers the facts.  He gives his opinion on what might happen from what the club tell him.  But the club are very clever at how they do this now days, they keep everything pretty close to their chest, hence why he gets things wrong.  I don't think his opinions are worth much to be honest, as much as I think he's a good journalist.

His record is the same as the likes of Bascombe, Joyce, Hunter etc.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

With regards to Coutinho, he never played in the same side as VVD. I think we missed Coutinho in the first half of the season when Klopp was using the 4231 until Fabinho got up to speed. We were a lot more solid with that shape but lost quite a bit from an offensive standpoint.

Once Fabinho was up and running Klopp was happy to go back to the 433 and our offensive output improved as a result.

I'd actually like to see Coutinho playing in the role that Firmino occupied in that 4231. He'd run riot in the PL playing just behind Firmino, with Salah and Mané out wide. We already know how influencial he can be either as a midfielder or left forward in the 433. He would massively add to our options for me, and I think Klopp would love to have him back (look how hard he tried to keep him).

It simply comes down to the finances of the deal though and I don't see it happening because of that.

Fair point on VVD.  Although I'm definitely not one of these people who thinks VVD has transformed our defence. I think he's been incredible.  Deservedly won PFA player of the season.  What a complete defender.  But I think plenty of other reasons were due to our improvement, Coutinho leaving being one of them.

I'm not sure our side were better offensively earlier or later in the season.  Seemed about the same through out the season to me.  Salah's stats when he played upfront were pretty much a goal a game.  But we did miss his lack of involvement in our attacking buildup when he was central.  Southampton at home for example Shaqiri was brilliant in the first half in the 4-2-3-1, off the top of my head we were 2-0 up at half time, but Klopp subbed him as despite the scoreline the team were far too open.

I also don't think going back to 4-3-3 had much to do with Fabinho personally.  As we played it plenty when he wasn't in the team with Gini or Henderson as the 6 in the second half of the season.  I do think it was partly why we played 4-2-3-1 as Fabinho was more familiar in a two, as was Naby based on their previously clubs. 

As a said before I think a formation change would probably have to occur to fit Coutinho in, like the 4-2-3-1 or he'd have to be mainly used in the front three.  I don't think Klopp would have Coutinho behind Firmino though. 

I don't think Klopp trusts Salah enough defensively in a 4-2-3-1.  In a 4-3-3 when he has breathers, our CM trio cover, enabling him to stay higher more.  I also think Klopp values Salah so much as a match winner he's almost wasted wide in a 4-2-3-1 tracking back when you want him as close to the opposition goal as possible.  I'd say Coutinho would probably be on the left, Firmino as the 10, Mane right & Salah up top is more likely to fit Coutinho in a 4-2-3-1.

His record is the same as the likes of Bascombe, Joyce, Hunter etc.

Yep, the club have done really well stopping leaks.  They all get the same general info.  They're the ones to know when it's official.  As to all the speculation - I don't think they know much.  

We would win a hella bunch of games with our current defense and a midfield three of Fabinho, Keita and Coutinho. 

The majority of sides we play would not get out of their own half.

• Upvote 1

Coutinho doesn't even play midfield for Barcelona and they're one of the few sides you'd expect would use a physically weak attacking midfielder in central midfield. Fact is, he's just not a very good midfielder. Plus, he's so careless with the ball, unlike other smaller and weaker midfielders like David Silva. We'd get countered far easier with Coutinho in midfield.

If we were to take him back, I'd put him on the left with Mane or Salah up front and the other on the right and Firmino is behind or on the bench, but this is all moot because we wouldn't buy him back anyway. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Coutinho doesn't even play midfield for Barcelona and they're one of the few sides you'd expect would use a physically weak attacking midfielder in central midfield. Fact is, he's just not a very good midfielder. Plus, he's so careless with the ball, unlike other smaller and weaker midfielders like David Silva. We'd get countered far easier with Coutinho in midfield.

If we were to take him back, I'd put him on the left with Mane or Salah up front and the other on the right and Firmino is behind or on the bench, but this is all moot because we wouldn't buy him back anyway. 

Coutinho over Bobby?

Dave - it’s happening again 

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was regularly very good for us as a midfielder.

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

He was productive there, no doubt. We blew away a few minnows in the dozen or so games with him playing centrally but we also dispatched the shite of the league this season as well. About as well as anyone could expect. 

Could you count on him in midfield against the very best in the league and in the knockout stages and beyond of the Champions League? The answer is probably no, as we haven't seen it. We saw it in 13-14 at times but he's not the same player at all anymore and those were very different circumstances. 

There are better fits out there than Coutinho for this side. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was productive there, no doubt. We blew away a few minnows in the dozen or so games with him playing centrally but we also dispatched the shite of the league this season as well. About as well as anyone could expect. 

Could you count on him in midfield against the very best in the league and in the knockout stages and beyond of the Champions League? The answer is probably no, as we haven't seen it. We saw it in 13-14 at times but he's not the same player at all anymore and those were very different circumstances. 

There are better fits out there than Coutinho for this side. 

We’ve never seen it so the answer is no? Not very logical that.

I wouldn’t play him centrally in all games, it would mostly be against the deep lying sides. He’s proven to be able to unlock the door and he can also bang them in from 25 yards.

He’d allow us to rest the front three. I genuinely see no downside to it.

53 minutes ago, Brownie said:

He really wasn’t. He was a brilliant attacker, arguably best in the league at one point, but he was always a mediocre midfielder.

• Downvote 1

Based on his ability alone I would have him back as cover for the front 3. I genuinely wouldn't have any swinging dick over our front 3. Even Messi or Mbappe. Our front 3 are fucking boss. mane is boss. Sarah is boss. Bobby is just fucking boss. Amazing. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Based on his ability alone I would have him back as cover for the front 3. I genuinely wouldn't have any swinging dick over our front 3. Even Messi or Mbappe. Our front 3 are fucking boss. mane is boss. Sarah is boss. Bobby is just fucking boss. Amazing. 

Sarah is amazing isn’t she

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

He really wasn’t. He was a brilliant attacker, arguably best in the league at one point, but he was always a mediocre midfielder.

Brownie is right. 

In Rodgers run at the title he was brilliant in midfield. Rodgers had him in the midfield 3 Gerrard deep and Hendo and Coutinho behind and had Sterling as the 10 behind Suarez and Sturridge. 

We have plenty of games at home and more and more awaywhen the opposition  are happy to camp out there own box. Having Virg and Gomez with there pace and Fabinho as the 6 would give us plenty of liscene to play a Coutinho type in the midfield with say Henderson. 

It's not going to happen anyway. Reckon he's nailed on for Chelsea or PSG

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Brownie is right. 

In Rodgers run at the title he was brilliant in midfield. Rodgers had him in the midfield 3 Gerrard deep and Hendo and Coutinho behind and had Sterling as the 10 behind Suarez and Sturridge. 

We have plenty of games at home and more and more awaywhen the opposition  are happy to camp out there own box. Having Virg and Gomez with there pace and Fabinho as the 6 would give us plenty of liscene to play a Coutinho type in the midfield with say Henderson. 

It's not going to happen anyway. Reckon he's nailed on for Chelsea or PSG

He was always good going forward but it’s no coincidence that we as a team were poor defensively. He’s not metronomic enough to be an elite midfielder, but you wouldn’t want him to be, because as an attacker he’s one of the best in the world. Having said that, I still want him back. Play him as an AML against weaker teams in a 4-2-3-1, and rotate with the rest of the front three in a 4-3-3 against the better teams.

We were not good defensively but what do you expect with a back 5 of Mingolet in goal Flanagan and Johnson at fullback and Skrtel and either Agger/Toure with Gerrard in front of them. 

It's hardly close to what we have now and was nothing to do with Coutinho or any of the front 3. The metronomic comment doesn't make much sense in our set up either. Our midfield is about pressing, pressure and getting the ball and driving forward at pace. It's not about having a City like midfield to kill the game after being a goal up. Having a Coutinho, Fekir type to pick the ball up as the most attacking player and driving straight at the back 4 is what we lacked at times. We need a midfielder who can hit shots from deep. It will stop teams dropping off. Make them have to step up to close the midfield down and you open more space for the front three 

Am told that Klopp has no interest in reuniting with Coutinho.  The affable German feels let down by the manner of the diminutive Brazilian's departure.