You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Union Jack on The Kop

Bjornebye

Does the Union Flag belong on The Kop?   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Union Flag belong on The Kop?

• Yes. Liverpool is in Britain.
    • No. We are Scouse not British.

My preference is no, and that applies for all national flags. Bring your national flag to an international game, you’re here to support Liverpool, not Senegal or Egypt. That applies to players too... remember Josemi flying the Spanish flag when we won the CL? No place for that IMO.

It wouldn't be my choice to have a union jack Liverpool flag, but what's the issue if someone else does? As others have pointed out, there was fucking loads of them in the 70's. Its not my choice to be seen in public wearing a replica shirt, but would it mean others can't? It's just mental to be arsed about it. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Half and half scarf? I don’t think anyone is actually going to stop you, @Bjornebye is just raising a discussion. 

You edited your post, sorry, thats why i only answered the bit i did.

I have no problem with the question being raised. I know no-one would stop me bringing a union flag. I just dont like the implication that unless you do a certain thing or believe in certain things that you are less of a fan.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

I have no problem with the question being raised. I know no-one would stop me bringing a union flag. I just dont like the implication that unless you do a certain thing or believe in certain things that you are less of a fan.

What would be your preference? National flags (including union flag) or no national flags on the kop?

Just now, aRdja said:

What would be your preference? National flags (including union flag) or no national flags at Anfield?

To be fair, I'm not really bothered. The wider our fanbase the more we are likely to see different flags. In a way it would be good to see the liver bird on union and tricolour flags. Something to unite people

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

7Fme.gif

40-50 years ago, there was a sense of national togetherness, but thanks to the Tory bastards and that twat thatcher and her managed decline wishes, for me, our togetherness with this country of theirs, was lost and has never been more distant.

Add to the managed decline, the casual bigotry of our city and scousers in general, that is hidden behind faux humour, is it any wonder that symbols of nationalism and unity are met with such distain.  

Its not difficult to understand why a high proportion of scousers neither want to, or consider themselves, British, English or both.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

40-50 years ago, there was a sense of national togetherness, but thanks to the Tory bastards and that twat thatcher and her managed decline wishes, for me, our togetherness with this country of theirs, was lost and has never been more distant.

Add to the managed decline, the casual bigotry of our city and scousers in general, that is hidden behind faux humour, is it any wonder that symbols of nationalism and unity are met with such distain.  

Its not difficult to understand why a high proportion of scousers neither want to, or consider themselves, British, English or both.  

Great post 

25 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

That might all be true, and it might be totally reasonable for people to feel that way. 

Doesnt mean they they should be able to effectively ask for a ban of a flag that anyone not sharing that view has no problem with, especially when there’s been historical precedent of the flag on the kop. 

1 hour ago, rubble-rouser said:

Spot on. I kind of liked the sentiment of the song tongue in cheek but Scouse exceptionalism is no better than English exceptionalism or American exceptionalism. Knobheads everywhere

I think you'll find that all other exceptionalisms are shite, but ours is boss.

• Upvote 2