You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

I understand all this less and less, transgender rights advocates are misogynist, feminists hate transgender people, we can all get pregnant. Although that's some leap for Ireland, from not allowing abortion to arguing that a definition should include all other genders that can get pregnant.  

33 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm not sure what's wrong with that. The politician is seeking to clarify that, should a trans man be legally defined as male but become pregnant (entirely possible), they wouldn't be denied access to a medical procedure.

That’s not what he’s saying at all. How will a non binary person be prevented from accessing abortion? 

46 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm not sure what's wrong with that. The politician is seeking to clarify that, should a trans man be legally defined as male but become pregnant (entirely possible), they wouldn't be denied access to a medical procedure.

Yeah, I don't really see a problem with that at all. It seems like the job of politicians and law makers to ensure that those they represent, no matter how few of them there are, are protected. In this case, questioning whether or not there's a legal issue for the very small minority of people who might be in that situation, just to ensure they don't get left out from a serious medical procedure should they need it. Sometimes law contradicts each other a little bit and needs clarification. Any attempt to make when he said into an attack on women is, quite frankly, stupid. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think he’s just highlighting a potential problem, the law is extremely rigid on wording.

Yes, I can imagine the scenario now...

Patient: I am pregnant and want an abortion

Dr: Before I can perform the abortion I must ask how you self identify 

Patient: As a man

Dr: In that case I can’t help

Patient: I now identify as a woman

Dr: Ok, off we go

3 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

Yes, I can imagine the scenario now...

Patient: I am pregnant and want an abortion

Dr: Before I can perform the abortion I must ask how you self identify 

Patient: As a man

Dr: In that case I can’t help

Patient: I now identify as a woman

Dr: Ok, off we go

No. This is just wrong. If fully transitioned to being a man, legally recognised by the law he quoted in your video, then there’s a chance he could be turned down on a legal basis. Why do you have to be so obtuse?

33 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, if you weren't the ignoring the legal issue of gender recognition, which is not something that can be changed on a whim and is clearly relevant to the drawing up of legislation on the subject.

I was being a bit flippant, but are you honestly suggesting that a hospital would refuse an abortion because of a legal change of gender status? 

Just now, Pidge said:

Probably not, but a hospital might come under legal pressure from lobbyists if the law left it exposed. 

How? That’s just reaching. 

The man can have an abortion, no one is questioning their right to it, but to mess with the definition seems just unnecessary and done for show.  

It's not reaching at all.  I don't know if you've ever noticed, but pressure groups aren't exactly prone to operating in good faith when it comes to abortion.  They will target practitioners, they will target establishments.  The video you posted is a political process doing it's due diligence in making sure the legislation protects and serves the best interests of all involved - as is their duty.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It's not reaching at all.  I don't know if you've ever noticed, but pressure groups aren't exactly prone to operating in good faith when it comes to abortion.  They will target practitioners, they will target establishments.  The video you posted is a political process doing it's due diligence in making sure the legislation protects and serves the best interests of all involved - as is their duty.

Agree to disagree then. 

Seems to me women are getting the shitty end of the stick on the whole issue, but suppose they should be used to it by now.  

Once again, I couldn’t give a fuck what someone wants to call themselves and good luck to them however they want to live their lives.  

28 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

Agree to disagree then. 

Seems to me women are getting the shitty end of the stick on the whole issue, but suppose they should be used to it by now.  

Once again, I couldn’t give a fuck what someone wants to call themselves and good luck to them however they want to live their lives.  

Fair enough, personally I don't see it as a zero-sum game.

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2018 at 11:51 PM, Ne Moe Imya said:

I was very intrigued by the videos a few pages back from a couple of people with a lot of experience in the field talking specifically about the issue of kids transitioning.

It seems utterly bizarre to me that you'd let a 14-year old say they're transgendered and then go for surgery and puberty blockers (which can all have a massive effect on health long-term, especially fertility) without so much as informing the parents what's going on! Had no idea it had gotten to that point.

You can argue for balance and whatever but I think almost any objective observer would say that's a terrible idea and sure to massively backfire in the long run.

I agree, if as a society we have an agreement that people under 16 are children, and thus sexual relationships are illegal with said children as they may not understand the impact or be emotionally developed enough. The same rule should apply to the gender aspect, putting kids on anti puberty drugs unless is fucked. It’s a form of molestation.

• Upvote 2