You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgin Media

DPW

And the Super Hub 3 has a faulty chipset. So all of the "great for gaming" shit they advertise is actually woefully inaccurate. 300 meg is great, but not much use when you get masses of packet loss and a shit ping. 

But other than that Virgin is great. If it was solely up to me we wouldn't have it in the house at all. And certainly wouldn't have Sky either, all of this shit about how many channels, at least 10 of them are another channel but just shown one hour later and a load of the rest if repeats of the last 30 years of telly for the 90 millionth time.

Virgin are a woeful company. They have comfortably the worst customer service i’ve ever had to endure, even worse than TalkTalk which is saying something.

They’re the only option I have for fibre though so I have no choice but to endure them.

Seems they are now in serious danger of losing a load of ITV channels.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/virgin-media-itv-channels-removed_uk_5b59858ae4b0fd5c73cbd103

Talk about self destruct.

That's actually a blessing as ITV is the largest pile of shite tv imagineable. If it wasn't for the World Cup I'd probably have not watched it for years.

And the Super Hub 3 has a faulty chipset. So all of the "great for gaming" shit they advertise is actually woefully inaccurate. 300 meg is great, but not much use when you get masses of packet loss and a shit ping.

But other than that Virgin is great. If it was solely up to me we wouldn't have it in the house at all. And certainly wouldn't have Sky either, all of this shit about how many channels, at least 10 of them are another channel but just shown one hour later and a load of the rest if repeats of the last 30 years of telly for the 90 millionth time.

They patched the hub3 haven’t they?

That's actually a blessing as ITV is the largest pile of shite tv imagineable. If it wasn't for the World Cup I'd probably have not watched it for years.

Fairly certain, as it’s a public service channel, ITV has to be made available to all suppliers. They can withhold all the other stuff like ITV2 and the like, but not the main channel.

Could be wrong like, quite often am.

Seems they are now in serious danger of losing a load of ITV channels.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/virgin-media-itv-channels-removed_uk_5b59858ae4b0fd5c73cbd103

Talk about self destruct.

Shows you how much shite there is on there when they've lost 10 channels & are now on about losing the ITV ones & I genuinely couldn't give a toss about any of them. We use Netflix, catch up & YouTube more than any of the telly channels I reckon.

Having said that, I'm paying the cunts £75 a month so should maybe start giving a toss.

There's some decent sport on the ITV channels - snooker and darts for me personally; they also have cycling if that's your bag. You also get some decent films across their channels - old ones like but still better than a kick in the bollocks.

My lad,and me occasionally,watch the cycling but watch it on Eurosport.

They patched the hub3 haven’t they?

No, they've run some tests but not rolled out the fix other than to a small group of people. Even with the firmware update it's still not entirely sorted. 

Unfortunately the problem is that the Puma chipset simply isn't good enough, they may end up getting it to be better but it's the hardware which is the issue. 

I'd be happy enough to stick with them if they would allow me to use my own modem instead of theirs, but they are showing no indication of it.

If it were solely up to me I'd have the whole lot ripped out, I'd have a slower download speed but better gaming connection because I wouldn't have the packet loss and ping judder.

Edit: and the WiFi signals from the Super Hub 3 are shite as well.

Rang them yesterday. After being on hold for about half an hour listening to some shite that sounded like a cat being strangled I 'negotiated' a $20 per month discount. I was then told that means a new contract which ties me in for another year so if we switch to Sky or whatever in the meantime I'd have to pay for 12 months.

Told them to shove it and am now starting to look for alternatives..

No, they've run some tests but not rolled out the fix other than to a small group of people. Even with the firmware update it's still not entirely sorted.

Unfortunately the problem is that the Puma chipset simply isn't good enough, they may end up getting it to be better but it's the hardware which is the issue.

I'd be happy enough to stick with them if they would allow me to use my own modem instead of theirs, but they are showing no indication of it.

If it were solely up to me I'd have the whole lot ripped out, I'd have a slower download speed but better gaming connection because I wouldn't have the packet loss and ping judder.

Edit: and the WiFi signals from the Super Hub 3 are shite as well.

From what I read the firmware sorted much of it, shame to hear that it hasn’t. How does it perform in modem only mode?

Rang them yesterday. After being on hold for about half an hour listening to some shite that sounded like a cat being strangled I 'negotiated' a $20 per month discount. I was then told that means a new contract which ties me in for another year so if we switch to Sky or whatever in the meantime I'd have to pay for 12 months.

I'd be over the moon with a £20 discount, did you threaten to leave?

I'm terrible at negotiating these things so if you can give me any guidance on what to say, that would be appreciated.

I'd be over the moon with a £20 discount, did you threaten to leave?

I'm terrible at negotiating these things so if you can give me any guidance on what to say, that would be appreciated.

Basically doing that would have tied me in for another year. As it stands I can just go to someone else. If I aceepted the discount it would have meant that if I moved (to say Sky) I would still have been liable to a years load of Virgin charges.

I've got a more than sneaking feeling that VM are in some sort of financial shite which is why they tried to beat down the UKTV price.

On the subject of ITV, ITV3 does have some decent programmes as does ITV4 sometimes. The rest as others have said is S*n reader level garbage.

• Upvote 1

If their cancellation team is anything like Sky’s, they’ll be ringing you back within a week offering 50% off everything.

From what I read the firmware sorted much of it, shame to hear that it hasn’t. How does it perform in modem only mode?

You'll probably get better wifi performance if you put the shub3 in modem only mode and are willing to shell out for a decent router. However, the ping issues will probably remain. Since swapping from a shub2 to a 3 my download speeds have been a lot more stable though.

It doesn't take much to work out when l swapped from a 2 to 3

8EwiQcU.png

Basically doing that would have tied me in for another year. As it stands I can just go to someone else. If I aceepted the discount it would have meant that if I moved (to say Sky) I would still have been liable to a years load of Virgin charges.

I've got a more than sneaking feeling that VM are in some sort of financial shite which is why they tried to beat down the UKTV price.

On the subject of ITV, ITV3 does have some decent programmes as does ITV4 sometimes. The rest as others have said is S*n reader level garbage.

I've just called them & signed up to a new 12 month contract at £60 a month (I was on £75) & the first month free of charge.

More than happy with that, thanks for inspiring me to get off my arse.

I had to hold for 30 minutes too btw, I suspect they do that to see if people can really be arsed with it all.

Definitely not as I’ve not been able to get on Xbox live without a connection dropping a few minutes later since March 2017 when I got sent the bloody thing.

In modem only mode, mate? No router, no WiFi, nothing other than one Ethernet port?

Something I’ve been meaning to try but haven’t got round to that one yet.

I’ve tried everything else I’ve seen online so to be honest I’ve got a little disheartened by it (I’m shite with technical stuff like this) but will have to get round to it as Fallout 76 is released in a couple months.

I've just called them & signed up to a new 12 month contract at £60 a month (I was on £75) & the first month free of charge.

More than happy with that, thanks for inspiring me to get off my arse.

I had to hold for 30 minutes too btw, I suspect they do that to see if people can really be arsed with it all.

I shall look forward to a healthy commission payment at the next match we meet up!

• Upvote 1

I have just signed up to them today. I knew which package I wanted and just started an online chat and they immediately offered to wave the £20 activation fee. I wondered why, reading the last couple of pages may explain why.

Just be aware they’ll double bill you the first month.