You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who are the best live act you've ever seen

Bjornebye

I saw Oasis in the old point depot in Dublin in 2006. Heavy stereo supported them. I was right at the front right up to just before Oasis came on but I passed out through too much drink and the heat and ended up watching the gig from the back of the venue after the medics gave me the ok. They were at the top of their game then and dopey bollocks here missed the close up.

Saw them in 2005 in Marlay Park mate. They were excellent that night. Around the time Don't believe the truth was out.

The Who - just wish it had been the first time around.

Saw them back in 2004 I think and it was a massively underwhelming experience. A few decades too late. They played well but the spark (and two band members) were missing. Going through the motions and a half these days.

They'll keep milking that (cash) cow though.

Kasabian supported them, before the debut album had been released and they weren't that better - although I'll let them off as it was their first arena tour I think.

Could tell the nerves were there. No one knew who they were and most people there that night for the support act wouldn't buy their records given the majority age.

Poor gig all round.

And yet when I seen them in 94 and at Maine road a year or so later, no knobheads.

I'd give anything to have been there. Often touted as their best ever live performances. Although its pretty well known that it was full of Moss Side scallies ripping people off and beating people up outside. 

Saw them back in 2004 I think and it was a massively underwhelming experience. A few decades too late. They played well but the spark (and two band members) were missing. Going through the motions and a half these days.

Kasabian supported them, before the debut album had been released and they weren't that better - although I'll let them off as it was their first arena tour I think.

Could tell the nerves were there. No one knew who they were and most people there that night for the support act wouldn't buy their records given the majority age.

Poor gig all round.

Saw them in 98/99, Zak Starla on drums.

They were fucking brilliant but there was always the 'what if' element about it.

Poor gig all round.

Have you seen them since? Fucking brilliant live band. Me and my mate got chucked out of their gig at Brixton academy for just being wankered arseholes. We'd drunk a bottle of rum on the train up from Pompey then pub crawled round Brixton before. At one point I got up onto the disabled section at the back and had hold of some fellas arms in a wheelchair singing "Im on Fiiiire" he turned at me and went "Get off me you dick its not even that song" He was a good sport though because we both started pissing ourselves laughing then I turned round and my mate was surrounded by security. Lucky they didn't fill us in outside to be fair. 

I'd give anything to have been there. Often touted as their best ever live performances. Although its pretty well known that it was full of Moss Side scallies ripping people off and beating people up outside.

I went on the Saturday, don't remember seeing much trouble though but I had a good few lagers so may have just passed me by. Glorious sunshine plus Ocean Colour Scene and the Manics as warm ups. Brilliant day.

• Upvote 1

Saw them in 98/99, Zak Starla on drums.

They were fucking brilliant but there was always the 'what if' element about it.

They played well but Townsend playing a Fender strat behind a perspex screen, while Starkey did his best Moon impression just didn't do it for me. Daltrey was good though. Lots of energy if I remember.

It was all a bit too slick, which wasn't The Who you see in its prime, which I should have expected. Remember leaving thinking it was just one to cross off the list.

Have you seen them since? Fucking brilliant live band. Me and my mate got chucked out of their gig at Brixton academy for just being wankered arseholes. We'd drunk a bottle of rum on the train up from Pompey then pub crawled round Brixton before. At one point I got up onto the disabled section at the back and had hold of some fellas arms in a wheelchair singing "Im on Fiiiire" he turned at me and went "Get off me you dick its not even that song" He was a good sport though because we both started pissing ourselves laughing then I turned round and my mate was surrounded by security. Lucky they didn't fill us in outside to be fair.

Haven't seen them since but that's not a reflection on them from that gig. Was their first major tour I think so you can understand their nerves.

Plus the people who were there and not at the bar weren't anywhere their audience.

Sounds a good night though!

The shittest band I've seen live is easily Noah and the Whale. Fuck me absolute borefest. I was unfortunate enough to let my mate twist my arm to go and see them in a big tent at a festival. He liked them but even he was laughing at how shit they were. 

Beady Eye at portsmouth guildhall was awful too. I like Beady Eye and thought they played well when I seen them support the Roses but it was just an awkward gig. They had Paul Gallagher doing a DJ set on as the warm up and he had white jeans on and a big furry parka. Looked fucked out of his mind. Liam couldn't have looked more unarsed if he tried. They ended with a cover of Gimme Shelter though which was ace. 

Talking of Oasis.

Saw them a couple times and I'll never forget seeing them play 'Gas Panic' at Reading festival in 2000 with lightning striking the fields just behind the stage.

Unreal.

Both times were great. Miss the atmosphere of their gigs. Seen Noel a couple times since and nearly, just nearly, lived up to it.

• Upvote 1

Talking of Oasis.

Saw them a couple times and I'll never forget seeing them play 'Gas Panic' at Reading festival in 2000 with lightning striking the fields just behind the stage.

Unreal.

Underrated track that. I didn't like it at first but I threw Standing on the Shoulders of Giants on one morning after a heavy night and lay on my bed just listening to it. I think I might have shed a tear to that one. Or maybe it was Little James? Still a boss track though. 

Underrated track that. I didn't like it at first but I threw Standing on the Shoulders of Giants on one morning after a heavy night and lay on my bed just listening to it. I think I might have shed a tear to that one. Or maybe it was Little James? Still a boss track though.

It's a great track, the beat is heavily ripped off The Verve's 'A Northern Soul'. Love the (slight) vocal interplay on that one.

Love that tune/beat. Even bought Alan Whites drum kit he played it on from him.

Yeah, nice guy too. Gave me a discount and sent some signed stuff.

Was the kit from 2001 to 2003 (Finsbury Park...etc)

Saw them at Finsbury park. On the saturday. Muddy as fuck. Charlatans, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Cornershop supported them. The played My generation last in tribute to Entwistle who had recently died. Fucking class. Probably the best I've seen them live to be fair. 

They played well but Townsend playing a Fender strat behind a perspex screen, while Starkey did his best Moon impression just didn't do it for me. Daltrey was good though. Lots of energy if I remember.

It was all a bit too slick, which wasn't The Who you see in its prime, which I should have expected. Remember leaving thinking it was just one to cross off the list.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Possibly rating the night out as much as the band.

The fact the queue for the champagne bar was longer than the real bar said it all.

Saw them at Finsbury park. On the saturday. Muddy as fuck. Charlatans, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Cornershop supported them. The played My generation last in tribute to Entwistle who had recently died. Fucking class. Probably the best I've seen them live to be fair.

Nice. Was supposed to go to that night too but had to pull out last minute.

Had to settle for listening to it on the radio while my mates were there, the hear about it from them the next day..

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Possibly rating the night out as much as the band.

The fact the queue for the champagne bar was longer than the real bar said it all.

Yeah it wasn't really bad, just wasn't the band that started all that time ago. Was almost like a tribute band playing a set of their hits and then Tommy.

Would love to see The Stones to cross them off the list but haven't bothered trying as I remember how I felt at the above.