You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Family Strife

Section_31

What a skidmark on the underpants of life he is. To be nowhere and of no support but then say some pointless shite like that, who is he anyway fucking gok wan? Glasses are fucking glasses the bellwhiff. 

He's an unimportant cunt.

Trouble is she still wants a dad. Despite being in her 30's now she's not had dad for most of her life. She'd forgive him almost anything the soppy cow. 

My ol fella is equally as bad a dancer as i am, it's where I get it from.

When our first dance finished he sprinted onto the dance floor and said "I'd always wanted a daughter, now I have one" and danced with her.

She can't stop going on about it saying how it was the best wedding present she had.

I can relate to your situation. My own family of 4 siblings is very dysfunctional owing to my abusive late father. However my wife's family is in many ways worse off. Her sister has some sort of mental illness, personality disorder, or brain injury. Never been diagnosed because her dad has refused to ever allow it. Subsequently she has lived her life without help of any kind. In fact her condition as been made worse by the fact that she has never left home (now in her 50's) and her dad has constantly heaped mental, and verbal abuse on her for her entire life. 

They've gradually lost nearly all of their friends, as a result of the chaos and drama that her sister gins up. Most of the family have cut them off as well because the sister is impossible to deal with. Yet the mum and dad blame everyone else and ascribe it all to her problems. In truth the parents have failed miserably by never doing the right thing out of some warped sense of shame. My wife thinks it may all trace back to a car accident that happened when the sister was an infant before the days of car seats for kids. 

The three of them exist in a co-dependent hell that I can't fathom. 

I also have a mate who has a brother that has never amounted to anything and continues to leech off his parents into his late 40's. It has driven the rest of the family mad but the parents have retreated in isolation to defend the indigent brother at the expense of their relationships with the rest of the family. 

My wife's family live in Toronto and she moved out here to the east coast to attend university as she felt she needed to get away from the toxic environment. She never went back aside from the rare visit or two which always ended predictably with some explosion resulting from her sister's behaviour.

All of my wife's suggestions and advice to her parents have fallen on deaf ears, there is only so much you can do to help people who are trapped in a situation of their own making and in absolute denial about it. 

One of my cousins has been a smack head since he was about 18, he's 41 now.

His dad is a dick, but doesn't deserve any of the shit his son has caused. He's been in rehab about 7 or 8 times, stolen off all the family, killed a man in a traffic accident and then drove throughout the ban he was given and 3 weeks ago was convicted of 3 counts of drug driving.

The worst thing is that his dad has worked hard all his life and now at 71 should be retired but he has to carry on working to support his son.

• Upvote 2

His dad is a dick, but doesn't deserve any of the shit his son has caused. He's been in rehab about 7 or 8 times, stolen off all the family, killed a man in a traffic accident and then drove throughout the ban he was given and 3 weeks ago was convicted of 3 counts of drug driving.

The worst thing is that his dad has worked hard all his life and now at 71 should be retired but he has to carry on working to support his son.

I can remember you talking about him before mate.

Tragic for the family but what makes it even more sad is that it's partly self inflicted.

The more your mates Dads supports him the longer it will go on.

We had it very close family but there comes a point you have to cut them out of everything,its hard but until they hit the bottom ad want to cange it wont happen. Sadly(probably souds cold as fuck) sometimes they die and there is fuck all you can do about it.

• Upvote 1

Yes, they should have cut him loose years ago. He bullies them now, he's a big bloke and they are terrified of him. Mention it though and they close ranks.

Capital stuff, old bean. I agree entirely. 

Haha! You were next on the Missing Posters thread, Paulie. Or should I say, Scott.

Pesti's right; it's not about you or your sister, your dad wants you both there. It's his do, make it the best you can for him

I met "Paulie" for a game once, so of course knew his name was Scott, but I have been wondering what happened to Paulie, as I've not seen him on here for ages. I've also been wondering where this "Scott" fella has come from with his sensible opinions as I'd never noticed him before.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I never realised "Paulie" had sensible opinions...

(or that I need a spreadsheet to put two and two together)