You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers - New Celtic Manager

Guest Pistonbroke

Yeah, but it's Aston Villa.  There's a reason they had Tim Sherwood there in the first place.

I agree Sherwood is shit, but they still had a half decent squad that should have avoided relegation, they certainly had enough time to turn things around having sacked Sherwood in October but put a manager in charge who was unproven in the Premier league. 

I agree Sherwood is shit, but they still had a half decent squad that should have avoided relegation, they certainly had enough time to turn things around having sacked Sherwood in October but put a manager in charge who was unproven in the Premier league. 

It would have been a big risk for Rodgers.  I don't think it's unreasonable to turn down managing Aston Villa, his next choice of club was a big one with his reputation on the wane.  

cos he rents out houses and got divorced?

Robbie fowler rents out houses and Ian rush is divorced.

That's one of looking at it.

But he was also a slum landlord and fined for it. Cheated on his wife. Threw his assistants and friends under the bus to save himself and made some dodgy comments about the alleged victim in his son's rape case (i know he was acquitted).

He doesn't seem like the type of guy I'd want to be mates with, no.

Guest Pistonbroke

It would have been a big risk for Rodgers.  I don't think it's unreasonable to turn down managing Aston Villa, his next choice of club was a big one with his reputation on the wane.  

Which is why some of us think him taking over the Celtic job is a huge risk, unless they qualify for the CL group stages and do well within that group his tenure would be seen as somewhat of a failure. Either way I couldn't give a shit**, but this is a forum for discussing such topics for fans on either side of the fence. 

**If he takes a few of the dross players he bought off our hands for decent cash I may warm to him a bit more. 

Which is why some of us think him taking over the Celtic job is a huge risk, unless they qualify for the CL group stages and do well within that group his tenure would be seen as somewhat of a failure. Either way I couldn't give a shit**, but this is a forum for discussing such topics for fans on either side of the fence. 

**If he takes a few of the dross players he bought off our hands for decent cash I may warm to him a bit more. 

No job is risk free but Celtic is a safer bet than most.  

The Villa job was being offered while the team was on a steep downward curve, the club's board members were leaving, employees' jobs were at risk and the owner was looking to get out. Anyone would be foolish to accept such a role knowing that you'll be working with one hand tied behind your back until a new owner comes in, who might not want you around anyway.

He'll be under pressure to deliver trophies at Celtic and try to make some headway in Europe. These are both things he is yet to achieve in his career but he'd be better off trying to do it somewhere like Scotland instead of bumming around the Premier League merry-go-round or dropping down to the Championship.

Celtic have overlooked Moyes twice now, and I reckon it's because they don't see his underdog mentality as a step forward for them.

• Upvote 1

Not many Celtic managers have moved on to bigger things of late despite winning titles mate. Strachan, Mowbray, Lennon?

He'd have been better trying to improve his stock in a decent league imo.

Yeah but come on with those white, Hollywood teeth of his, beige trousers and jacket and a topped up Tan? Nou Camp within 3 years.

Back to being serious, completely see what you're saying. Time will tell I guess. Good luck to him.

Guest Pistonbroke

No job is risk free but Celtic is a safer bet than most.  

Depends how you see things, over the last 10 years or more plenty of their past managers have won domestic doubles/Trebles in the past but not done well in Europe, none of them have gone on to a big club thereafter. 

He is a Celtic fan so im sure that appealed as well. As a Celtic fan i'm delighted with it. I didn't think it would happen when his name was banded round a few weeks back but he was defo my first choice. Keane would have been a laugh of course but I expected it to be Paul Lambert after he quit Blackburn days after Delia was sacked. If you give a fuck about Celtic or Scottish footy then you can see the appeal. If you don't then of course Villa or someone would seem to appeal more. Apparently the other lot are signing Joey Barton. I'll enjoy seeing Brown clatter him in the first old firm if he does go. And i'll be putting money on a Barton red card in his first old firm.

Its odd if he does go there though. He has said before that he is Celtic over them and he has left wing views. His violent persona fits that club perfectly though. They genuinely do sign absolute cunts. Diouf just shading Hurlock as the worst cunt ever to pull on that cunt jersey.

Guest Pistonbroke

Yeah but come on with those white, Hollywood teeth of his, beige trousers and jacket and a topped up Tan? Nou Camp within 3 years.

Back to being serious, completely see what you're saying. Time will tell I guess. Good luck to him.

Like I said, I'm not arsed either way, I don't want him to fail, but if he does it won't bother me either. I don't particularly like the bloke, granted he has had a few decent seasons for Swansea and ourselves, but his high self esteem and other things which have been covered makes it hard to warm to him. If he does well there then good luck to him, as long as he doesn't end up back in charge of Liverpool. 

Like I said, I'm not arsed either way, I don't want him to fail, but if he does it won't bother me either. I don't particularly like the bloke, granted he has had a few decent seasons for Swansea and ourselves, but his high self esteem and other things which have been covered makes it hard to warm to him. If he does well there then good luck to him, as long as he doesn't end up back in charge of Liverpool.

Exactly, we have Klopp now in the dugout (only time will tell how that goes also) so I can forget some of my ill feelings towards him with how certain things went, especially towards the end.

It's a bit meh for me personally but still, good luck to him. Former manager and all so I'll keep it civil.

If this was Game of Thrones he'd have been Lord of one of the seven kingdoms, forced to escape North of the wall because he betrayed all his true friends and the people want him dead for spending all the treasuries money on worthless trinkets. 

• Upvote 1

As others have said, he'll either not win the title and be seen as an abject failure or win it and be seen as doing nothing of note. The only way to gain any credit to absolutely dominate and win everything or a ridiculous run in Europe (yea I know).

That said I wish him all the best. It means he'll be back to Anfield for the summer friendly. I hope he gets a good reception.