You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

I don't get why we'd need to look at the goals individually when for basically the third season in a row, Mignolet is statistically almost just as likely to concede as he is to save something. It's like saying "yeah, that striker is fucking shit and can't score goals, but we need to analyze the players making runs around him and if the service to him is perfect, and then we'll know if he's any good."

Mignolet is once again, not making any saves. I'm just not that concerned with knowing if he's unlucky or whatever.

Obviously because Mignolet was never as bad as Karius has been lately. Especially in the past two games that the German directly cost us 4 dropped points.

As his backup, Mignolet gets his chance again. It's not overly complicated or controversial. Let's hope he grabs it with both hands... something that Karius never quite managed so far.

I don't get why we'd need to look at the goals individually when for basically the third season in a row, Mignolet is statistically almost just as likely to concede as he is to save something. It's like saying "yeah, that striker is fucking shit and can't score goals, but we need to analyze the players making runs around him and if the service to him is perfect, and then we'll know if he's any good." 

Mignolet is once again, not making any saves. I'm just not that concerned with knowing if he's unlucky or whatever.

Of course not, why worry about doing anything even approaching a detailed analysis of something when you can pick a single, rather poor, statistic that 'proves' what you think you want it to. 

• Upvote 1

Of course not, why worry about doing anything even approaching a detailed analysis of something when you can pick a single, rather poor, statistic that 'proves' what you think you want it to. 

Yeah, but of course you can't give me a detailed analysis for why I'm wrong either.

the other lad is not exactly dino zoff is he

Yeah, but of course you can't give me a detailed analysis for why I'm wrong either.

I'm not the one basing everything on a single statistic.

At the very least I'd be looking at how the goals were scored, from where and the destination of the shot.

Like I said beforenot all shots are created equally so as much emphasis would need to be placed on the shot itself as the goal.

If you drew a grid over the mouth of the goal (say 3 across 2 down for simplicity) then the 2 boxes either side of the goal would have a lower save possibility than the 2 centre boxes (the more complex the grid the greater the change in weighting and accuracy).

Likewise if you drew a grid across the penalty area you could assign a weighting to the likely hood of a goal being scored (further back or further to the sides would have a lower weighting chance than those dead centre there are a few different concepts floating around on this and the rest of what I'm saying), you'd have to account for other factors but let's keep it simple.

Now you'd expect a shot from further back or to the side going to the centre of the goal to have a lower chance of scoring and a higher chance of being saved than a shot from central going into the top corner.

If you then plotted each goal scored against a keeper or keepers you would, in theory, have a far more accurate representation of your shots to saves statistic.

Obviously the above doesn't account for things like deflections but it's a start.

• Upvote 2

I'm not the one basing everything on a single statistic.

At the very least I'd be looking at how the goals were scored, from where and the destination of the shot.

Like I said beforenot all shots are created equally so as much emphasis would need to be placed on the shot itself as the goal.

If you drew a grid over the mouth of the goal (say 3 across 2 down for simplicity) then the 2 boxes either side of the goal would have a lower save possibility than the 2 centre boxes (the more complex the grid the greater the change in weighting and accuracy).

Likewise if you drew a grid across the penalty area you could assign a weighting to the likely hood of a goal being scored (further back or further to the sides would have a lower weighting chance than those dead centre there are a few different concepts floating around on this and the rest of what I'm saying), you'd have to account for other factors but let's keep it simple.

Now you'd expect a shot from further back or to the side going to the centre of the goal to have a lower chance of scoring and a higher chance of being saved than a shot from central going into the top corner.

If you then plotted each goal scored against a keeper or keepers you would, in theory, have a far more accurate representation of your shots to saves statistic.

Obviously the above doesn't account for things like deflections but it's a start.

See, you'd probably have a point if Mignolet hadn't been terrible for the past 3 years and if he was simply off form, it would have been interesting to look at the placement of the ball for goals conceded, etc..

Maybe in that case you could say he was being unlucky and conceding difficult shots to save and what not, but frankly, given he's not actually off form and he's just crap, unless someone could show me a chart where like 3/4's of the goals he's ever conceded at Liverpool were perfectly in the corner, then I'd take some of these things into consideration.

See, you'd probably have a point if Mignolet hadn't been terrible for the past 3 years and if he was simply off form, it would have been interesting to look at the placement of the ball for goals conceded, etc..

Maybe in that case you could say he was being unlucky and conceding difficult shots to save and what not, but frankly, given he's not actually off form and he's just crap, I really could not care less unless someone could show me a chart where like 3/4's of the goals he's ever conceded at Liverpool were perfectly in the corner.

You keep seeing it as a defense of Mignolet when in reality it's a criticism of your statistic as a single accurate gauge.

Mignolet came in and did well. Hard to argue with that. Karius will come again, and when he does hopefully he will be better for the experience he's had lately. 

Klopp is pragmatic. I thought Karius would stay in goal for the season, but Mignolet is back in pole position. I don't trust him enough to think he will stay in goal for the duration, but the competition has done him good as he has been performing at a higher level this season. Ultimately you would have to think Karius will usurp him again, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

It is a meritocracy, Mignolet has been vastly better this season than Karius thus should continue to play. Fuck "shattering his confidence", those 5 points are even more frustrating now.

Karius was not responsible for both goals against West Ham,only the free kick. It was a shame in the Bournemouth game and pulled off a worldy before the mistake for the winner. He is talented but will now,rightly,have to fight for his place like any good goalkeeper should.