You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (a)

Hand Shandy

What baffles me about it is it's a legit penalty. I'd understand the uproar if there was no contact, but there was clear contact and he impeded Benteke. Pretty much every pundit has said the exact same thing. 

I am finding the situation completely incomprehensible. Like you say, the contact was clear, and the defender took nothing of the ball. I keep wondering if I'm going mad and there's something I've missed, because every other match report I read seems to be calling it a con job.

That pic he posted is very misleading.

It's funny, but from where I was standing, I thought that this image captures exactly the point I thought we got a penalty. The fact that the lino sees Delaney's knee catch Benteke later, is quite astounding. He'd not seen anything else before that.

It's because just because someone touches your foot it doesn't make it a foul. Because it's a contact sport.

I'm loving the three points but hugely dubious that it was enough to trip Benteke up, and make it a foul. You have to be tripped for it to be a foul, and for me, tripping is something where you don't choose to fall, you have little choice in it.

Only Benteke knows himself but, for me, he's had a tiny touch on the foot, felt it, taken a beat and then thrown himself down. So it's a dive, because he's chosen to fall over at a touch that didn't trip him.

A good test for me is if the player is trying to take another step. I don't think he is. 

OK then, there was contact on Bentekes foot from the player sliding in from behind nowhere near the ball that appeared to have at least possibly been able to unbalance the striker in the box.

50/50 I'd say. We'll see some given and some not. It's not really a reason for a moan either way IMO. I mean, I think Benteke could have stayed on his feet, but that's not really the point either.

The law is applied in different ways, which is why a penalty one week, might be interpreted as an opponent trying to deceive the official.

I'm accepting that was a penalty on Benteke. Pards and Delaney will have to suck it up and figure out ways to win their remaining games.

Since I moved over to America I have become a bit more familiar with basketball, and part of the lexicon is this phrase, "to draw the foul."

When I first heard it I thought it was odd, but it's a normal part of the sport and it's seen as a quite legitimate thing when you are advancing to the basket, to draw the foul. 

It's only an analogy, and they are two different sports, but I think in some ways the notion of "drawing the foul" has crept into football. Years ago it would never be a foul, and to suggest as much would be laughable. But it's all changed. A good many penalties are not trips, as such, but they are where the defender sticks his leg or foot out, and the striker makes the most of the contact in order to try to win a penalty. 

I'm not sure I like it, but it's the way the game is evolving. When it leads to a winning penalty against Pardew's boys I love it, but if the shoe were on the other foot I would think it unjust. Such is sport, I suppose. 

If it happens anywhere else on the pitch, nobody bats an eyelid. The problem isn't that the ref gives the penalty - it's that he doesn't give the other three or four a game that there should be.

Well, obviously I disagree as I don't think he tripped him. I think he went down of his own choice. Only Benteke will really know.

As the foot that was taken was his trailing standing leg, I don't think he could get it forward.

And the explanation for why his right foot (the next one to take a step) just goes dead and stops trying to plant for another step? I think it really was the lightest of brushes and doesn't impact on his balance at all.

If the pitch is broken glass I think he stays on his feet 999 times out of 1000.