You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World War II

Lee909

Did a feature a while back on The differences between the Waffen SS and Heer (the German army). Neko proofed it for me. Fascinating subject.

Hitler hated the traditional class system in the army (which was like ours, dominated by traditional upper class Prussian landed gentry) so the SS eschewed all that. You couldn't be an officer unless you'd been a trooper first. You weren't allowed to use the term 'Herr' but had to address people by rank instead.

Educational standards were far lower (ss officer school had classes in how to use the correct cutlery). This lack of standard class stratification was one of the reasons the top Waffen SS divisions were seen as so formidable, their officers led from the front (casualty rates among officers were astronomical) and their unit cohesion was seen as being top class.

Unfortunately it was this lack of educational requirements that also made their minds easier to mold into making them do heinous shit, they were given classes in things like race and Nazi party politics which helped turn them into zealots on the battlefield.

• Upvote 3

Have you still got it?, Would not mind reading it if you have, find the whole history of the war fascinating.

Just got Ian Kershaw biography on Hitler and Antony Beevors Stalinfrad with this months Audible credits

Have you still got it?, Would not mind reading it if you have, find the whole history of the war fascinating.

Just got Ian Kershaw biography on Hitler and Antony Beevors Stalinfrad with this months Audible credits

Yeah sure pm me your email address and I'll dig it out.

Did a feature a while back on The differences between the Waffen SS and Heer (the German army). Neko proofed it for me. Fascinating subject.

Hitler hated the traditional class system in the army (which was like ours, dominated by traditional upper class Prussian landed gentry) so the SS eschewed all that. You couldn't be an officer unless you'd been a trooper first. You weren't allowed to use the term 'Herr' but had to address people by rank instead.

Educational standards were far lower (ss officer school had classes in how to use the correct cutlery). This lack of standard class stratification was one of the reasons the top Waffen SS divisions were seen as so formidable, their officers led from the front (casualty rates among officers were astronomical) and their unit cohesion was seen as being top class.

Unfortunately it was this lack of educational requirements that also made their minds easier to mold into making them do heinous shit, they were given classes in things like race and Nazi party politics which helped turn them into zealots on the battlefield.

I thought they were already there because they were Nazis, since the Wafen SS was the Nazi party army. As the military wing they fought for what they believed in, which in turn would make them a formidable fighting force. 

I thought they were already there because they were Nazis, since the Wafen SS was the Nazi party army. As the military wing they fought for what they believed in, which in turn would make them a formidable fighting force.

Bit of a mix, the regular SS was a big draw for people who were already Nazis but there were a lot of different draws for joining the armed (Waffen SS), the lower educational standards was one (Sepp Dietrich, the head of the Leibstandarte - Hitler's praetorian guard, had only been a sergeant in the first world war and was barely literate, Otto Skorzeny, Hitler's top commando who rescued Mussolini and later helped Mossad hunt Nazis, joined the Waffen SS because the air force knocked him back for being too tall.)

It was also seen as more glamorous and elite, it was also a way to avoid conscription into the army as it was a volunteer force at first.

A lot of foreign Waffen SS joined because they hated communism.

• Upvote 1

Yep

Read amd watched a few things from former SS men that they joined for the better pay and being in a elite unit rather than a regular trooper.

Quite a few made it into the French Foreign Legion apparently.

They were easy to spot when they were captured because they had their blood group tattooed under their arm.

Yeah it was a escape used by many post war. From what i read they made up a large number of the FFL and by the 60s a number of their NCOs were former SS.

A interesting bunch to say the least.

Still looking for a book on Kurt Knipsel

Not a SS man but probably the best tank commander in the war and by far the one with most kills. They think his official number were far higher too as he never argued kills if disputed. Not being a party member or a good poster boy means he never got the publicity he deserved and died in the final 2 weeks of the war. They found his body a couple of years back amd sent it back for burial

Some good stories on him

Didn't fit the nazi image as he was scruffy,dirty and had tattoos and a goatee. Twated a SS officer for badly treating some POW probably didn't help him either.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/855--en

At the age of 23 Knispel had more tank kills than Michael Wittmann, Ernst Barkmann, Johannes Bolter, or Otto Carius.d03607677eb3d1d32b75404d871ea09f.jpg

• Upvote 2

Great read mate. Thanks for sharing.

Good read that

A really good introduction to the German forces in WW2 for anyone looking for a starting point.

Educational standards were far lower (ss officer school had classes in how to use the

correct cutlery). This lack of standard class stratification was one of the reasons the top Waffen SS divisions were seen as so formidable, their officers led from the front (casualty rates among officers were astronomical) and their unit cohesion was seen as being top class.

This is an outstanding paragraph that pleases me greatly.

At the age of 23 Knispel had more tank kills than Michael Wittmann, Ernst Barkmann, Johannes Bolter, or Otto Carius.

To be fair to Barkmann, he was riding around in a Panther on the Western Front rather than a King Tiger on the Eastern. But yes Knispel was a talented commander. He's credited with one 3km kill.

To be fair to Barkmann, he was riding around in a Panther on the Western Front rather than a King Tiger on the Eastern. But yes Knispel was a talented commander. He's credited with one 3km kill.

This is the kind of stuff I used to talk about as a kid, it's why by the time I lost my virginity my testis were so swollen I had to be carried into the bedroom by the fire brigade.
  • Upvote 1

Do you know much about the Nazi top brass escaping to South America, Tim Kennedy was on about it on Joe Rogan podcast (Not sure how good a source he is but he does a Hunting Hitler series) where he also believes Hitler escaped to.

Do you know much about the Nazi top brass escaping to South America, Tim Kennedy was on about it on Joe Rogan podcast (Not sure how good a source he is but he does a Hunting Hitler series) where he also believes Hitler escaped to.

Nah I was always into the weapons and combat shit mainly. Me uncle has read a load of stuff on it though, quite a few pictures knocking around purported to be of Hitler in Patagonia.

They should have done a sitcom about it with Terry McCann as his Minder in Buenos Aires.

• Upvote 1

Nah I was always into the weapons and combat shit mainly. Me uncle has read a load of stuff on it though, quite a few pictures knocking around purported to be of Hitler in Patagonia.

They should have done a sitcom about it with Terry McCann as his Minder in Buenos Aires.

It's interesting stuff and that coming from someone not that interested in WW2.

Tim Kennedy is a fucking right wing,es military bellend

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/hitlers-teeth-confirm-he-died-1945-180969133/