You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

I wouldn't touch store bought stuff, but surely it depends on what you use. My berry smoothies don't move my blood sugar at all.

Yeah, I have fresh fruit that I either use fresh or freeze (banana slices, raspberries, etc). But there are some decent frozen packs you can buy these days. Some have kiwi, kale, and avocado, some a berry mix, some banana and mango etc. Obviously kale and avocado is going to be far less than the mango, but I feel like naturally occurring sugars in fruit might well be different to the sugars in a mars or a coke, at least in terms of how your body uses and metabolises it.

Yeah, I have fresh fruit that I either use fresh or freeze (banana slices, raspberries, etc). But there are some decent frozen packs you can buy these days. Some have kiwi, kale, and avocado, some a berry mix, some banana and mango etc. Obviously kale and avocado is going to be far less than the mango, but I feel like naturally occurring sugars in fruit might well be different to the sugars in a mars or a coke, at least in terms of how your body uses and metabolises it.

I think you're exactly right about the different sugars. Sucrose in cantaloupes doesn't affect me at all.  In processed foods, my blood sugar goes through the roof.  Like Elite I've simplified all this down in my own way.  Processed=bad, Unprocessed=Good.  Works for me!

• 5 months later...

Bumping this because I’m doing this again this time as a long term lifestyle.

The more and more I read on the subject the more I am amazed that this is not mainstream. The benefits are incredible.

Reducing protein a lot this time and priority is as it should be fat. Looking forward to my eggs and avocado lunch.

Yeah, I’m in Keto at the moment. Not so much for weight loss, but because a mix of quality protein and good fats are better for me to run in than carbs. I have an issue with simple carbs where I can’t seem to get satiated. I like to feel contentment from what I’ve eaten. I’m also doing 20:4 IF, which has its own benefits. First, I get to eat quite a decent size meal or two. I was on 23:1 OMAD but I couldn’t seem to get enough food in me.

Seems to have made me more energetic, general mood is brighter, and I’m feeling pretty good.

I’m on a rough 19:5 and the higher fat and lower protein I’m trying is a bit tougher this time. Previously I was definitely in ketosis but probably only just.

Had it in my head that due to lifting a lot I needed extra protein. Turns out the need for it drops off as you get more Ketogenic. So going full on this time.

Just about to go into a lecture with a nutritionist on healthy eating. May have to bite my tongue in the 5 a day low fat section of the talk,

Anybody who wants actual information about the Keto diet - and it’s one of those diets (and I use the term ‘diet’ as in ‘way of eating’ rather than weight loss method) that can be bad for you if you get it wrong - the you should check out the sidebar on the subreddit ‘Keto’, and ‘KetoScience’, and ‘KetoRecipies’. You should also be working out your macros, via the calculator on the Keto subreddit.

If anybody is interested why the current medical advice is untrustworthy, you should check out this podcast episode:

I’m on a rough 19:5 and the higher fat and lower protein I’m trying is a bit tougher this time. Previously I was definitely in ketosis but probably only just.

Had it in my head that due to lifting a lot I needed extra protein. Turns out the need for it drops off as you get more Ketogenic. So going full on this time.

You need to work out your macros, mate. Seriously. A mixture of MFP and a macro calculator is the biggest shot in the arse you’ll ever need. Rule of thumb, stay below 20g of net carbs per day. Moderate protein, not too low or you’ll feel empty. Very low carb.

Bumping this because I’m doing this again this time as a long term lifestyle.

The more and more I read on the subject the more I am amazed that this is not mainstream. The benefits are incredible.

Reducing protein a lot this time and priority is as it should be fat. Looking forward to my eggs and avocado lunch.

Isn't it Atkins all over again?

Just about to go into a lecture with a nutritionist on healthy eating. May have to bite my tongue in the 5 a day low fat section of the talk,

FYI, a lot of people following the keto lifestyle run into issues w/gym performance after a while, apparently a weekly carb-up (not protein-up) fixes it.  Keep an eye out for that.  And if you're not already, get on one of the keto lifestyle channels on youtube.

FYI, a lot of people following the keto lifestyle run into issues w/gym performance after a while, apparently a weekly carb-up (not protein-up) fixes it. Keep an eye out for that. And if you're not already, get on one of the keto lifestyle channels on youtube.

There’s a good guide on reddit for that too. I think it’s ketogains

• Upvote 1

FYI, a lot of people following the keto lifestyle run into issues w/gym performance after a while, apparently a weekly carb-up (not protein-up) fixes it.  Keep an eye out for that.  And if you're not already, get on one of the keto lifestyle channels on youtube.

Never really bothered me. Done 1/2 marathons on keto. Never not on it funny enough. Never bothered with carb up I think it’s more psychological than performance related. Unless you are an elite athlete. Which I’m not.

Just enjoy the whole lifestyle never feeling bloated.

I've been trying a mish-mash of different shit over the last near 3 weeks.

Monday - Friday, OMAD. Always in the evening after everyone's gone to bed. I'm like White Goodman at the end of Dodgeball! Usually chipper, or chocolate and Pringles, or a combination. Not calorie counting.

Saturday & Sunday. I try go 18:6 at worst, but I'm not overly strict. I'd never eat before noon though. Again, not calorie counting.

I know the eating plan I'm doing would be way better if I combined it with Keto, and I'll get there eventually. But as it stands, I'm down nearly a stone in the near 3 weeks. I actually find it fairly easy fasting all day, knowing that I can do whatever the fuck I want in the evening. It's like having Carb Nite every night!

• Upvote 1

I've been trying a mish-mash of different shit over the last near 3 weeks.

Monday - Friday, OMAD. Always in the evening after everyone's gone to bed. I'm like White Goodman at the end of Dodgeball! Usually chipper, or chocolate and Pringles, or a combination. Not calorie counting.

Saturday & Sunday. I try go 18:6 at worst, but I'm not overly strict. I'd never eat before noon though. Again, not calorie counting.

I know the eating plan I'm doing would be way better if I combined it with Keto, and I'll get there eventually. But as it stands, I'm down nearly a stone in the near 3 weeks. I actually find it fairly easy fasting all day, knowing that I can do whatever the fuck I want in the evening. It's like having Carb Nite every night!

Fucking good job that, mate. OMAD really allows you to have a big, satisfying meal. Not particularly healthy if you're eating carbs and fat togethers, but dropping the wait isn't a bad thing.

Also, never eat pringles again. They're AIDS. Yummy AIDS. But the worst.

Breakfast Calories

kcal

Carbs

g

Fat

g

Protein

g

Sugar

g

Fiber

g

Add Food Quick Tools

Mid Morning

Chicken Thigh - Fillet, 200 g 240 0 10 56 0 0

Morrisons - Chicken Livers, 200 g 210 5 5 33 0 0

Whole Earth - Peanut Butter, 20 g 126 3 10 5 0 0

Britannia - Beef Dripping, 20 g 180 0 20 0 0 0

Add Food Quick Tools 756 8 45 94 0 0

Lunch

Avacado - Medium Avacado, 1 Avacado (128g) 205 11 19 3 0 9

Azeite - Olive Oil, 30 g 265 0 30 0 0 0

Whole Earth - Peanut Butter, 40 g 251 5 20 10 0 0

Tesco - Sardines In Brine Drained, 84 g 172 0 10 22 0 0

Add Food Quick Tools 893 16 79 35 0 9

Mid Afternoon

Add Food Quick Tools

Dinner

Add Food Quick Tools

Snack

Sunflower Seeds - Raw, Unsalted, 60 grams 350 12 31 13 2 5

Add Food Quick Tools 350 12 31 13 2 5

Totals 1,999 36 155 142 2 14

Your Daily Goal 1,980 25 154 124 74 38

Remaining -19 -11 -1 -18 72 24

Calories

kcal

Carbs

g

Fat

g

Protein

g

Sugar

g

Fiber

g

That didn’t work as a copy and paste but it was bang on macros. 2000 cals

• Upvote 2

Any of you got any examples of daily diet? I know I'm pretty carb sensitive but a lot of stuff I've seen on keto diets seems to involve nuts ect which I'm not keen on

Yesterday I had...

Two chipolata sausages, three bacon, and two eggs for breakfast for a totals of 550 calories. I had that at 1pm. Macros were something like 1% carb, 24% protein, 75% fat.

Then at 5pm I had chicken Fajita. It was a home made spice mix, 490g or sliced chicken breasts, 250g red pepper. It was pretty great. Was around 790 calories all in. As I had some cream cheese with it.

Macros for yesterday were pretty light on calories actually. Just under 1400 calories, 18g carb, mostly from the red pepper, which i had a lot of.

But there are so many recipes out there for Keto. So many.

• Upvote 1

Not sure for the pain

But get to the docs if your diabetic. It needs looked at early. Obvious ones are dont drink or smoke and get more vitamin B12.

I wouldn't be masking the pain myself until i had been to the docs its not something tobbe ignored especially as a diabetic

@ Andy. That meal breakdown post is pure eye aids!

But am I reading correctly that you have no "breakfast", "mid afternoon" or "dinner"? You basically eat everything between 10am and 2pm or whatever?

Yeah. No breaky. Higher protein lunch and higher fat dinner. Usually 1pm and 5pm ish. 19 hour fast 5 hour eating window.

On the app I couldn’t care less what section of the day I enter them.

Usually train 6am fasted and cardio 3 nights a week. Not strict on that though depends if I am fucked or not.