You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Freedom of speech

banger

I generally agree with that post, but I'm a picky cunt so I'm going to argue about those examples.

Ghostbusters and Ocean's Eight are not remakes and the characters are not male.

Now, Fiona Shaw as Richard II or Maxine Peake as Hamlet; that's definitely a case of casting women in traditional male roles.

Not remakes, but certainly taking a film and making it again with women. Why not just write a new, significantly better story?

Not remakes, but certainly taking a film and making it again with women. Why not just write a new, significantly better story?

Because franchise connections give shareholders confidence.  Why not just not give a shit if the new iteration/development isn't for you.  You still have the old ones.

That would involve Hollywood coming up with something both good and original. Apparently, that's asking too much. It's much easier to take an old idea and put a gimmicky twist on it.

That would involve Hollywood coming up with something both good and original. Apparently, that's asking too much. It's much easier to take an old idea and put a gimmicky twist on it.

But surely you vote with your feet and don’t watch it. The mere existence of the film can’t annoy you surely.

For me, acting roles should go to the people most suitable for the role. If you are a good actor and can pull  off a role of a transgender person (you are physically suitable) then there should be no problem with that.  I really don't understand why transgender actors should not play other roles if they can, why should they play only transgender people, or why should we care how many roles there are for them if they just want to play

transgender people?

That transgender character in Billions, I didn't like it at first because I though here we go, shoehorning topical stuff into the show, but I changed my mind because the character really works and the actor / actress can act. This person is apparently transgender in real life. At the same time, it's obvious that you would naturally refer to "they" as she, because of mostly feminine physique.  So "she" could definitely play female roles, especially slightly off-beat ones. 

Because you don’t feel ‘right’ as a man or woman doesn’t mean you are the opposite. Because you can’t ‘know’ what it’s like to be the other.

But who gives a flying fuck if you want to live as the other or anything in between? As long as you’re happy and don’t hurt anyone else fucking crack on. I’ll call you the pronoun you want (within reason, I’m not a memory man) and anyone insisting on using the wrong pronoun is a cunt.

There’s loads to be sorted out around protecting women from predatory men pretending to be women for access to ‘safe spaces’ but sensible people must be able to manage it.

• Upvote 2

But who gives a flying fuck if you want to live as the other or anything in between? As long as you’re happy and don’t hurt anyone else fucking crack on. I’ll call you the pronoun you want (within reason, I’m not a memory man) and anyone insisting on using the wrong pronoun is a cunt.

Agreed 

Because you don’t feel ‘right’ as a man or woman doesn’t mean you are the opposite. Because you can’t ‘know’ what it’s like to be the other.

There’s loads to be sorted out around protecting women from predatory men pretending to be women for access to ‘safe spaces’ but sensible people must be able to manage it.

It’s not about what you feel, it’s fucking genetics ya idiot.