You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers and the transfer market

Bill Shankly

Have some Morientes then.

Mate I said that most top players, proven players who have proven it already will prove it here. Now these players are sold and bought to leagues every summer and then perform week in week out and u dig me up Morientes??? I said most!!!

My point is not all transfers are hit and miss. Buying potential is hit and miss. But buying proven players like Van persie, Sanchez, di mara, costa, falcoa etc etc.......

These players will rarely fail at any club

And they all were successful with big teams, neither of which Ballotelli(sic) and Keane were.

Balotelli has a fine scoring record,20/59 Inter, 20/54 Man City, 26/43 Milan,6/16 U21's,13/33 Italy seniors.

Wherever he has gone he has averaged around 1/3.

He has been successful with big teams, that is quite a list.

You can say you don't like him, or don't think we should have bought him, but don't produce bullshit to support your opinion.

This argument that all transfers are hit and miss suggests throwing darts at a board or having monkeys pick a card. We as a club simply cannot afford to not choose well in the transfer market, throw good money after bad year in and year out.

If Rodgers decided these players - at the beginning or end of the process - then how can he be entrusted with the club's money if they continue to be so bad? I'm convinced that's what ultimately got Kenny the sack, which is why the owners experiment with different schemes on transfers - they have to try and make it better.

This argument that all transfers are hit and miss suggests throwing darts at a board or having monkeys pick a card. We as a club simply cannot afford to not choose well in the transfer market, throw good money after bad year in and year out.

If Rodgers decided these players - at the beginning or end of the process - then how can he be entrusted with the club's money if they continue to be so bad? I'm convinced that's what ultimately got Kenny the sack, which is why the owners experiment with different schemes on transfers - they have to try and make it better.

The first part of your post is the part I don't understand. A big part of our transfer philosophy seems to be hit and hope. There's almost the feeling that if someone doesn't work out there's no use crying over spilt milk and we just move them on. We do it with loan and proper signings. With players like Moses and Balotelli, how many on here Knew, knew they'd turn out exactly the way they did?

We've seen it already with Baloteli, Rodgers coming out with stuff about him needing to improve, as though they way he's played has come as a total suprise. Instesd of just swerving him he's had 'a punt', then put the blame for his failure firmly in his court, the next step will be to unceremoniously get rid of him and onward goes the merry go round, when it all could have been avoided by doing some basic homework.

We've seen it already with Baloteli, Rodgers coming out with stuff about him needing to improve, as though they way he's played has come as a total suprise. Instesd of just swerving him he's had 'a punt', then put the blame for his failure firmly in his court, the next step will be to unceremoniously get rid of him and onward goes the merry go round, when it all could have been avoided by doing some basic homework.

What were our options?

But I don't think anyone thought he could be as bad as he was on Sunday.

I still have hope for him, though.

Balotelli was bought to play alongside Sturridge.

As it appears that Sturridge is made of digestives, we need to get a plan b sorted out because we might as well play a traffic cone up front on its own at the moment. Personally I'd be tempted to stick either Lallana or Sterling up front with him tomorrow night.

Balotelli was bought to play alongside Sturridge.

As it appears that Sturridge is made of digestives, we need to get a plan b sorted out because we might as well play a traffic cone up front on its own at the moment. Personally I'd be tempted to stick either Lallana or Sterling up front with him tomorrow night.

Carra, last night, said we shouldn't play a striker at all. Play Coutinho as a false nine (which Balotelli already is, etc, repeat to fade, badum tish). I think it's a good shout. Better than the abomination that was Balotelli v QPR.

Carra, last night, said we shouldn't play a striker at all. Play Coutinho as a false nine (which Balotelli already is, etc, repeat to fade, badum tish). I think it's a good shout. Better than the abomination that was Balotelli v QPR.

It might work but if we play sans striker & get battered, Rodgers will be crucified.

A big part of our transfer philosophy seems to be hit and hope. There's almost the feeling that if someone doesn't work out there's no use crying over spilt milk and we just move them on. We do it with loan and proper signings. With players like Moses and Balotelli, how many on here Knew, knew they'd turn out exactly the way they did?

There does seem to be an odd mentality that windfall money doesn't count. That the £50m from Torres and £65m from Suarez is "free" money.

I understand that part of moneyball is about buying players whom you can then sell on for a profit even if they don't make it. We seem to have seen precious little of that.

I still think that the Balotelli deal will stand up well against several others. He was bought as one of a two, it is not his fault that Sturridge is injured and that Rodgers doesn't rate Lambert to play alongside him.

By who? The media? Fans?

I'd completely understand if Rodgers looked at Lambert, Balotelli and Borini and decided not playing any of them was the best option.

I would understand too but I'll never forget the slating Craig Levein took for playing without a striker (with Scotland) a few years back, people still go on about it up here.

I'm not sure a lot the supporters or media in Britain are ready for it (maybe I'm not giving our support enough credit).

If it works, he'll be a genius, if not, he will never hear the end of it. I'm not sure it's worth the risk from his point of view.

He really shouldn't ( be crucified). We've looked total shit in all but one game this season, I really don't believe anyone would hammer him for trying to find some solutions.

Buying a decent forward, organising the team in such a way that it gets the best out of the forwards we have, would be trying to find a solution.

Playing without a forward when three which you have bought are not deemed good enough would be damning.

When you have one of the best strikers in the world playing for you it is pretty easy to talk about attacking philosophy and team work, when you haven't, that philosophy and team work is put to the test.

Balotelli has shown elsewhere that he can turn a game against the best. Finding a way to harness that talent is Brendan's job- otherwise he should not have bought him.

• Upvote 1

Buying a decent forward, organising the team in such a way that it gets the best out of the forwards we have, would be trying to find a solution.

Playing without a forward when three which you have bought are not deemed good enough would be damning.

When you have one of the best strikers in the world playing for you it is pretty easy to talk about attacking philosophy and team work, when you haven't, that philosophy and team work is put to the test.

Balotelli has shown elsewhere that he can turn a game against the best. Finding a way to harness that talent is Brendan's job- otherwise he should not have bought him.

I agree with you that we've bought poorly regarding our forwards.

However, we can't sign or sell any players until January, and we can't wait until then to sort out how shit we're playing.