You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

How about taking the word of the people responsible?

Well, quite...

I wrote my post in response to Funneee dismissing Dubya's claim that he was on "a mission from God".

Actually, I'd take that sort of stuff with a pinch of salt.  I don't always consider mass murderers to be the most reliable people and I never consider mass murder to be simply attributable to one cause.  

"It was more than all this, Judge, that put that gun in my hand."

Anyway, that shit's deep and it's getting late.  G'night. x

The language when reporting crimes of terror has changed so much over the years. As a teenager I remember all the major tv channels/agencies reporting the war in Lebanon and its surrounds to be based on the differences between the Sunni militia and the Shia opposition. At that time I never even knew they were muslim sects as it was barely mentioned. One could say that there was a far more nuanced view of the problems back then than todays dumbed down reports ever indicate. Back then they fought each other while now the constant references directed against 'muslims' as a whole provide a very easy way to recruit extremists from all the different factions.

• Upvote 1

The language when reporting crimes of terror has changed so much over the years. As a teenager I remember all the major tv channels/agencies reporting the war in Lebanon and its surrounds to be based on the differences between the Sunni militia and the Shia opposition. At that time I never even knew they were muslim sects as it was barely mentioned. One could say that there was a far more nuanced view of the problems back then than todays dumbed down reports ever indicate. Back then they fought each other while now the constant references directed against 'muslims' as a whole provide a very easy way to recruit extremists from all the different factions.

Yes I too remember the Sunni and Shia led news reports and seem to recall that the Shia were the 'baddies' cos they were mainly Iranian, and we really didn't like them in those days.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

You can thank Dawkins, Hitchens and a few others for dumbing down the public discourse. 

You can thank Dawkins, Hitchens and a few others for dumbing down the public discourse.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I think the various sects are still mentioned in the news, certainly on R4 bulletins. They were yesterday for example.

David Baddiel did a series of programmes on R4 where he was educated on subjects he did t understand. One is the difference between Sunni and Shia. It's not worth killing someone over.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I think the various sects are still mentioned in the news, certainly on R4 bulletins. They were yesterday for example.

David Baddiel did a series of programmes on R4 where he was educated on subjects he did t understand. One is the difference between Sunni and Shia. It's not worth killing someone over.

A bit like Catholic and Protestant so?

• 2 weeks later...

What Qu'ran 5:32 actually says is:

On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone slew a person - unless it be in retaliation for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew all mankind: and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all humanity.

Anyone want to guess what the very next verse says?

It's another verse about being cool to each other, of course. Oh wait:

The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter.

All I can say is that I hope they leave me with my wanking hand.

What Qu'ran 5:32 actually says is:

On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone slew a person - unless it be in retaliation for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew all mankind: and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all humanity.

It's another verse about being cool to each other, of course. Oh wait:

The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter.

All I can say is that I hope they leave me with my wanking hand.

While we're on a roll..

[5:34] Exempted are those who repent before you overcome them. You should know that GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful

While we're on a roll..

[5:34] Exempted are those who repent before you overcome them. You should know that GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful

And the next?

I'm struggling to see your point - like all the holy books it's fucking hateful. But cherry picking the good bits to try and deny the bad bits is stupid.

And the next?

I'm struggling to see your point - like all the holy books it's fucking hateful. But cherry picking the good bits to try and deny the bad bits is stupid.

And vice versa! 

You were the one who started this, remember; I just picked up where you* left off.

Putting things in context isn't stupid.  There are three consecutive verses which say

-  Don't kill people

-  If someone wages war against you or commits "horrendous" crimes against you, they'll get a horrendous punishment

-  If they repent, then they'll be spared the punishment

(Since you ask, the next verse is just some standard religious blather; O you who believe, you shall reverence GOD and seek the ways and means to Him, and strive in His cause, that you may succeed)

*Actually, I picked up where Stronts left off.  Unlike him, you didn't have the intellectual integrity to actually post the next verse, preferring to post a snarky comment to give the impression that the next verse was something unspeakable and contradictory to the message "don't murder people".

So, you admit there are good bits in the various scriptures?

I don't think that's up for debate, of course there are. But huge fucking chunks are diabolical.

Don't you see the irony in having a poster quoting a nice bit to show how lovely the book is, when the very next verse is horrible? Please tell me you aren't that crazy.

The one thing most of the various strands of Islam agree on is that the Quran is the perfect and unalterable word of God.So the bad bits are just as relevant as the good bits.