You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

We have been after a commanding center back for some time now and after seeing him in action last night Garay's the one for me, fucking superb.

I agree that Garay is an excellent player and in many ways ticks a lot of boxes for us in terms of what we need at the back. He's already played for a European giant (Real Madrid) without success and therefore has something to prove in terms of playing for a big club in a stronger league. He's approaching what are considered the peak years for a footballer. He has a lot of experience of winning trophies and competing at the highest levels of European competition because the club he's at is of the right sort of profile for clubs from which we should be targetting first-team options - a side that is expected to take the game to their opponents rather than one that parks the bus against bigger teams. He's very strong in the air and more than decent on the deck. He's actually more of a right-sided central defender and has played as a right back before (much like Skrtel who is the obvious candidate for Garay to replace). He's doesn't have a prima donna attitude.

The problem is, he's been linked to moves before with fees quoted above £20m so he'd still be an expensive purchase. Another problem is that he's at Benfica who are adept at rinsing other clubs in transfer negotiations. The third problem is that he's only part-owned by Benfica so there's an issue of 3rd party ownership and the problems that represents when it comes to negotiating a deal.

Saw some story on the offals media watch about interest in Ravel Morrison. Probably some utter shit source so probably nothing in it, but certainly the kind of raw talent id imagine Rodgers would want to work with.

Ive been saying defensive central midfield since Rodgers came in, so that probablky wont happen. Certainly expect us to be after full backs tho. And Konyoplanka would make sense.

Saw some story on the offals media watch about interest in Ravel Morrison. Probably some utter shit source so probably nothing in it, but certainly the kind of raw talent id imagine Rodgers would want to work with.

Ive been saying defensive central midfield since Rodgers came in, so that probablky wont happen. Certainly expect us to be after full backs tho. And Konyoplanka would make sense.

haven't seen any of these reports but he is an utter cunt and I hope we stay well away

were a few stories other week linking us with Vertonghen, don't want Agger to go but if he did would be perfect replacement (albeit still keeps open the two left footers debate with Sakho) more comfortable at left back than Agger as well which perhaps means we wouldn't need to prioritise cover for Enrique

World Cup summers worry me...

Prices seem to go up (no evidence to support this, just a gut feeling / perception), and a lot of buys are based on half a dozen world cup performances. Then there's the old issue of players being tapped up by international team mates etc.

For Liverpool, (like any other club who are doing pretty well) it's going to have to be quite a judicious selection. Too many changes could ruin things, and not enough could mean not strengthening sufficiently.

Arsenal seem to have fallen foul of buying a marquee player for a position that wasn't really needed. It's happened many times at many clubs, and it'll probably happen a lot this summer.

Prices seem to go up (no evidence to support this, just a gut feeling / perception), and a lot of buys are based on half a dozen world cup performances. Then there's the old issue of players being tapped up by international team mates etc.

For Liverpool, (like any other club who are doing pretty well) it's going to have to be quite a judicious selection. Too many changes could ruin things, and not enough could mean not strengthening sufficiently.

Arsenal seem to have fallen foul of buying a marquee player for a position that wasn't really needed. It's happened many times at many clubs, and it'll probably happen a lot this summer.

I've heard a rumour you're quite rich.

Prices seem to go up (no evidence to support this, just a gut feeling / perception), and a lot of buys are based on half a dozen world cup performances.

This is also my perception. How on earth do you think City will be affected by this? You lot chuck stupid money at players already. What's another £5m added to the £10m you lot normally overpay by?

Can you stop pretending you play by everyone else's rules. You don't.

A left back should be our top priority. Flanno did well today, but very inexperienced and next season if we make the CL, I can see him getting a red card as he does tend to fly in. Shaw should be our top priority, who would shore that position up for 10 years or more.

A left back should be our top priority. Flanno did well today, but very inexperienced and next season if we make the CL, I can see him getting a red card as he does tend to fly in. Shaw should be our top priority, who would shore that position up for 10 years or more.

The only way we get Shaw is if Chelsea stay out of it unfortunately. He's a supporter of them and they have the money to pay him and Southampton whatever they want.

I do agree that he'd be the ideal signing there though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Shaw just doesn't make sense as a signing. Not now. He will almost certainly never be as good as the money Chelsea will end up paying, plus there are lots of other questions about him: how will he react to the pressures of moving away from home, to a bigger club, playing for a side where your every mistake is overanalysed, and for a fee that means you have to perform at a top level straight away.

It's not a smart transfer for the money being spoken about. Not in my opinion, anyway.

The only way we get Shaw is if Chelsea stay out of it unfortunately. He's a supporter of them and they have the money to pay him and Southampton whatever they want.

I do agree that he'd be the ideal signing there though.

Ok up to now Chelsea have had more pull on players than we have, but how many young players have they bought and let go. Being a Chelsea supporter, which I didn't know will obviously sway his hand. Never the less Brendan should go flat out for the kid.

The one mentioned earlier in this topic is good, young (21) and would be a fraction of the price of Shaw.

Ricardo Rodriguez at Wolfsburg. He's not super quick but he's a proper footballer. Very cultured, good passer and crosser. Takes corners and freekicks for Wolfsburg and has got 7 goals and 5 assists this season. Looks good on the few games and highlights I've seen on BT Sport

Could be the answer