You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Analysis: How Lucas controlled the game

WhiskeyJar

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So you don't want a top player then.  Just someone who isn't Lucas. Sorted.

How did you get that from this?

I think he's decent but a way off being a top player. I want more top players.

Yeah, a few. Vidal isn't a holding midfielder though, he's one of the few proper box to box midfielders on the planet, he'd be excellent alongside Lucas. It's not really a priority position for me. We need to settle on a formation and then sign some attacking players to suit it. We've got fuck all on the bench to change a game.

Vidal is ace, and definitely not a holding midfielder. He is, to me, a defensive midfielder. Same with Fernando, he's more than just somebody who sits deep and doesn't move. Vidal is everywhere. He covers fuck loads of ground all over the pitch, but he's still a defensive midfielder. That's what defensive midfielders are supposed to do: clear up and close space at the back, burst forward with the ball from deep when in possession, and start attacks. Lucas sweeps up well, the rest is lacking.

Still, I'm not really interested in Vidal. He's not coming.

We've signed loads of players to challenge Lucas. Allen, Poulsen, Sahin, Shelvey and Spearing were all tried and failed (so far, in Allen's case -the rest are history). That's about £25-30m worth and none have taken his place.

Yes, i think he is a top player. The results when he's in the team speak for themselves.

Poulsen was bought by an idiot

Sahin was too slow, we didn't hang around and got rid after 6 months. 

Spearing was home grown we did not buy him and he never looked good enough, not even when he was coming through the reserves did he ever look like a top quality DM for a big club.

Shelvey was not bought as a DM, he is a box to box or an attacking midfielder and again is too slow.

I'm not sure about your "the results speak for themselves" line either, we have finished 7th, 8th, 6th and 7th in the last 4 years. Thats since we lost the Masch and alonso partnership.

In the last 4 season even the smaller clubs have targeted our central midfield and attacked it with pace and numbers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

How did you get that from this?

Vidal is ace, and definitely not a holding midfielder. He is, to me, a defensive midfielder. Same with Fernando, he's more than just somebody who sits deep and doesn't move. Vidal is everywhere. He covers fuck loads of ground all over the pitch, but he's still a defensive midfielder. That's what defensive midfielders are supposed to do: clear up and close space at the back, burst forward with the ball from deep when in possession, and start attacks. Lucas sweeps up well, the rest is lacking.

Still, I'm not really interested in Vidal. He's not coming.

As you've said, we won't agree on this.

Lucas' best game since coming back from injury.

Without a doubt.  It was great to see.  If he can keep that sort of form up we'll just need back up rather than a replacement.  Tbh i'd resigned myself to him not fully recovering, hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Lucas has taken a long time to get over a dreadful injury, an injury that would have effectively ended his career not so many years ago. It's great to see him back to his brilliant best. Was it Rafa who said that anyone who doesn't rate Lucas knows nothing about football? Well, it's true whoever said it.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't Lucas injury the same one as Ramsey? Who is only now operating at a top level again after 18 iffy months, even getting booed by his own fans? And also getting loaned to Forest at one point? And also one which Martin Kelly is recovering from?

If so, then maybe now he's finally approaching the level which he was at pre-injury.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The bit where you said you'd swap Lucas for Yacob, who you don't think is a top player.

Rrrright. Except that's not really what I said. What I said was that I'd swap him if it was the only option available, but that I want more top players so ideally I'd just buy a top player. Saying that I don't want top players when I've just said, in those exact words, that I do is, well, pretty mental. Anyway... quality performance. Hope he keeps it up. Buy Fernando. I'm out of this thread. Damned Lucas' zealots will be the end of me.

He was fantastic and his role will be of even more importance against Arsenal.

We still need another top class central midfielder who can do what Lucas does though, as we're at a loss when he's suspended/injured/nursing a new baby Lucas. If that new player threatens his spot, all the better, as by default that makes him a hell of an addition to the group.

Not sure where or how Coutinho fits on on Saturday, but what a good problem and how brilliant it is to be going there to try and claim top spot.

Why do people have a chip on their shoulder about being right about Lucas?

He has been our main defensive midfielder since Masch and Alonso left and we finished 7th, 8th, 6th and 7th in those 4 seasons.

Its no mystery that our midfield is a problem and has been identified by even the shittest teams as a problem area. We have been attacked through our middle for over 3 years now but people want to use one game to say they were right about him all along?

Do you think any other top club in the world would have persisted with a central midfield that was so widely open and lacked pace and attacked by even lower league clubs? Do you think top clubs in the world would have allowed their team to finsih 7,8,6,7 and still persist with the same players and same midfield?

We have shown him alot of time and patience, he's getting better and back to his pre-injury form but fuck me he needs competition for is place. Too many Liverpool fans just want to be right and not actually see the bigger picture.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Why do people have a chip on their shoulder about being right about Lucas?

He has been our main defensive midfielder since Masch and Alonso left and we finished 7th, 8th, 6th and 7th in those 4 seasons.

Its no mystery that our midfield is a problem and has been identified by even the shittest teams as a problem area. We have been attacked through our middle for over 3 years now but people want to use one game to say they were right about him all along?

Do you think any other top club in the world would have persisted with a central midfield that was so widely open and lacked pace and attacked by even lower league clubs? Do you think top clubs in the world would have allowed their team to finsih 7,8,6,7 and still persist with the same players and same midfield?

We have shown him alot of time and patience, he's getting better and back to his pre-injury form but fuck me he needs competition for is place. Too many Liverpool fans just want to be right and not actually see the bigger picture.

Yes, its entirely his fault we've finished in those positions. As for your last sentence, I think some Liverpool fans just like supporting one of our players, especially in the face of shit arguments like your "but we finished...".

We've signed loads of players to challenge Lucas. Allen, Poulsen, Sahin, Shelvey and Spearing were all tried and failed (so far, in Allen's case -the rest are history). That's about £25-30m worth and none have taken his place.

Yes, i think he is a top player. The results when he's in the team speak for themselves.

We didn't sign Spearing, he came through the ranks. Shelvey was bought for a different midfield position.

To be fair, I could have seen off Poulsen.

I do love Lucas though and it was ace to see him perform like he did on Saturday.

We didn't sign Spearing, he came through the ranks. Shelvey was bought for a different midfield position.

To be fair, I could have seen off Poulsen.

I do love Lucas though and it was ace to see him perform like he did on Saturday.

Did Spearing come through the ranks?  Shit, I thought we signed him from Juve for twirty millions.

Sorry, you and Red6 are correct.   Nobody else has been tried in Lucas' position and he's only playing there by default because we haven't signed any players since Alonso left.  Stupid me. 

Carry on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yes it is. And the other day you said swap their midfield for ours. There's nothing ambiguous about that.

Your normal cursory nonsense.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Unless you actually read what I said, rather than an incorrect interpretation or half a sentence. Not everybody thinks in soundbites. Actually, judging by your recent contributions, not everybody thinks.

Unless you actually read what I said, rather than an incorrect interpretation or half a sentence. Not everybody thinks in soundbites. Actually, judging by your recent contributions, not everybody thinks.

Well, what you said was "I'd swap their midfield for ours" and then added some nonsense about it not being about individual players even though you were talking about specific players (midfielders).