You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thoughts on Jose Enrique?

LFC 6 Times

I wanted Clichy but when we ended up with Enrique my mate said we got the better deal.  I disagreed but have had an open mind when watching him.  My mate has since disowned the comment.

Personally I can't believe the negativity around him.  You get a sense that he's jittery because some in the crowd are itching to have a go.

He's a good player, and when he was screaming into the box last year after Rodgers' comments I thought he'd maintain that high standard.  He hasn't quite, but he's still a very good player.

I don't rate him as highly as Brian Marwood does, who always goes out of his way to talk about his muscles...

If you ask Barry Horne, he's the best fullback in the league. Never heard a pundit as in love with as player as he is.

For me, he's a bloke who struggles with the basics of his position and attempts the difficult too often relative to his talent. Luckily he has the strength and pace to get away with it, but if we play in Europe he'll get found out pretty quick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's usually good for a 7/10 performance and his attitude is spot on. Good signing. I was perplexed when he seemed to be out of favour during the start of the Rodgers era.

The problem for me is that he's not good for a 7/10 performance. If that was the case then he'd be like Finnan (how underrated is he, by the way?) and nobody would be asking questions of him. He can be anything from a 5/10 to an 8/10, and can often be both in different halves of the same game.

I like him to be honest but he is incredibly erratic I really hope that the competition from Cisskho makes him more focussed and consistent.

If you ask Barry Horne, he's the best fullback in the league. Never heard a pundit as in love with as player as he is.

Correct.

I said earlier it was Brian Marwood who always goes on about him and about his muscles.  It was Barry Horne.  My mistake.

I've never heard a commentator as gushing in his praise for a player.

Barry absolutely LOVES Jose.

The problem for me is that he's not good for a 7/10 performance. If that was the case then he'd be like Finnan (how underrated is he, by the way?) and nobody would be asking questions of him. He can be anything from a 5/10 to an 8/10, and can often be both in different halves of the same game.

I like him to be honest but he is incredibly erratic I really hope that the competition from Cisskho makes him more focussed and consistent.

Can go from 9/10 to 2/10 in five seconds if you ask me! Has the skills and physical attributes to be world class, but isn't due to his decision making and lack of overview.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Enrique would have offered more than Cissokho down the left flank today. Enrique's problem is that he does have the occasional lapse in concentration, but I think he is better than a lot of our fans currently seem to acknowledge. I think there is more to come from Cissokho, too. Hopefully they will spur each other.

Enrique's problem is that he does have the occasional lapse in concentration

He's hardly cost us any goals since Rodgers has been at the club.  Cissokho was at fault for the second goal today just switching off.

Might get appreciated more now he's out of the team.

Enrique is often under rated IMO, people only notice him when he makes mistakes, his lapse in concentration is somewhat natural for a player who is more of a wingback much like Johnson who has his occasional lapse.

When Rodgers plays a back 4 I think both Enrique and Johnno both effectively play as "wing backs" anyway. Both of their starting positions are well advanced of your regular full back.

Sacrifices a bit of defence for a lot of attack. I can live with that.

• 1 year later...