You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thoughts on Jose Enrique?

LFC 6 Times

Much like the player himself there is a certain anomaly surrounding the how the fans rate him. Im a huge fan of Enriques and think he's a very accomplished player in both attack and defence, he has built a very good rapport with Suarez and Coutinho and has a very good eye for a "key' pass. However, I do understand where his critics come from, he can be very laboured in possesion, taking far too many touches, he overdoes those longballs over the the top and is prone to the odd blind pass that puts us in real danger. As frustrating he is at times, I must say I think he's a fascinating player, Jekyll and Hyde if you will. I think a lot of his criticism is based on the fact that people acknowledge he is capable of brillance. Defensively he's very sound and his energy and ability to win the ball back quickly are essential to the side. Enriques biggest flaw is his concentration lapses, I just wish he would take more care with his short passing. Where do the rest of you stand on Enrique, do you think Cissokho will oust him for a place in the starting berth or was he bought purely as competition?

He's very strong and quick, which helps him claim back the ball and his play in the final third has gotten better and better.

But his defensive positioning is poor, he's far from the brightest and he's infuriatingly lazy with his passing in deeper areas, his stats are fine because they usually reach their target, but he often plays teammates into dead end situations which see us lose the ball because he doesn't think ahead.

Basically, he's the Nani of defenders. Will do a couple of good things a game, but he's infuriatingly inconsistent over 90 minutes and will stink the place out at times as well.

All in all I like the guy.

Along with zabaleta the best full back in the league for me. Perfect for us as his pace compensates the lack of such in Agger (and the other cb's). People hoping he'll be replaced are going to be just as disappointed as those hoping Lucas will be. Both are key players for us. Agree about the lapses in concentration and the tendency to overdo the long ball, but those are minor flaws compared to what strengths he brings. The positional criticism is grossly unfair in my eyes. A year or two ago you could maybe say he wasn't doing enough to close down crosses, but his positioning is just as good as any other attack-minded fb in the league. The few times he gets caught high up the field he'll mostly recover because of his pace and strength anyway. Ciss is only brought in to keep him on his toes and relieve him (sadly no league cup duties to be absolved from...) to avoid injuries.

Funny this thread was started btw, I was just going to post in the match thread (as he got a bit of stick there). His first 45 on Sat were flawless defensively and brought 2 assists and a host of good crosses. One bad pass and some hesitation in the 2nd is enough for that to be wiped out for some though... Had someone else made the pullback for the first and the crosses for Gerrard and Moses people would wank themselves silly!

Edit: He definitely splits opinion though, a bit like Lucas in that respect... Just out of interest; Matthewbet1, which other fb's would you say are better crossers in this league? Wonder how many key passes/assists he'll need to provide to get rid of the "poor crosser" label...?

• Downvote 2

He's quite good.  Decent aggressive forward runs, with some good passing at times.  Bit crap at crossing.  Occasionally gets caught napping or diving in too early in defence, but not often beaten one on one and way better than the likes of the Doss or either of the Spurs fullbacks I might add.  Not bad in the air.

I like him, bar the odd brain fart he's excellent, he backs himself always be it in attack or defence which is a trait we all want in a player it seems given the no balls comments fired at some of our players in recent years rightly or wrongly, cissoko will defo keep him on his toes as if he gets into team he could be hard to shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Agree with the consensus here. He's a good as any in the league in that position. Brain farts are common but they seldom lead to us being punished. He's unpredictable and that helps when he's attacking because he can come up with some killer passes, to moses on sat for example. His one twos with suarez etc last year stood out for me. Great strength too.

Definitely top 5 left backs in the league for me.

Thing is. His performance against the huge clubs range from poor to excellent, but by memory, he torments the weaker clubs by adding another dimension to our attack, and there were a few great link up plays with Suarez which led to goals.

He's clearly an attacking minded left wing back, but his defensive abilities are clearly not the best. He lets the ball slip past him rather frequently in some games, but most times he ends up chasing it back which kind of redeems his initial error.

All in all, imo, his defensive errors are set off by his abilities in attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I honestly don't think there's all that many better left backs in the league than him.  Baines, Cole, Evra as much as he's a cunt, ???  Then I'd struggle.  There's the lad at southampton every one raves over, only seen him play less than five times myself.

Yea he's got plenty of faults but so does every player, we won't have the perfect footballer in every position, no team will.  

I've grown to laugh instead of moan at how he'll stick his arse into an opponent and have a battle of strength instead of passing the fucking ball.  Every time!

• Downvote 1

He's inconsistent, but he always looks better when there's decent movement in front of him. He needs either someone who's made themselves some space, or created space for him to run into; when neither is on offer he either goes turtle, shielding the ball, or passes into nowhere, and he's not alone in doing so.