You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benitez.

I hope he does go there.  It means he's not here.  After he wins their equivalent of the FA Cup, struggles in the league and gets to the semi of the Champions League with the most expensive team ever assembled, playing dogshit football, relying on outdated tactics which only negate other teams and rely on having superstar players, you can come back here and tell us all what idiots we were for not having him back.

Real Madrid have ran out of managers to hire.  That's the only reason he'll be getting a job.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

I hope he does go there. It means he's not here. After he wins their equivalent of the FA Cup, struggles in the league and gets to the semi of the Champions League with the most expensive team ever assembled, playing dogshit football, relying on outdated tactics which only negate other teams and rely on having superstar players, you can come back here and tell us all what idiots we were for not having him back.

Real Madrid have ran out of managers to hire. That's the only reason he'll be getting a job.

We wanted to keep a manager and not hire the current one (never forgiving the owners in the pricess) for doing less.

The Guest is a proper cunt.

Still, I guess he can console himself with the one league cup we've won since the evil one left.  With the added bonus that we now have a magnificent squad, well equipped to challenge on all fronts.

It's better than the no league cup and dogshit football we would have watched if he had stayed.

I've just read that you nearly 40 TK.  You should stop getting so angry at other people's views, you're getting too old for that shit.  I think Rafa is an overated manager.  Had he not had Gerrard he wouldn't have lasted past his first season.  As soon as Gerrard stopped being able to be Gerrard his tactics fell to pieces.  The club has struggled since then.  Gerrard has even said it himself.  He wishes he would have met Rodgers earlier because he would have won a few league titles.  I've got no doubts to what period of his career he is saying that about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We wanted to keep a manager and not hire the current one (never forgiving the owners in the pricess) for doing less.

You've missed my point entirely Cardie.

People always talk about success as if it's absolute, only represented by trophies.  It's complete nonsense.  Kenny deserved another season.  His signings were still settling and there were positives to take from the season.  We finished so low down the table because he decided to try and win a trophy.  A lot of us accepted that.  The owners didn't.  Had Dalglish done the same the following season a lot wouldn't have been saying the same thing.  Winning a cup is great but it's not sustainable.  It doesn't bring you anything tangible to take into the future.

I used to think people who couldn't see that were just stupid but it's just that their brains aren't wired that way.  It doesn't change that from being a fact.  We won 2 cups under Rafa but it was the consistently finishing in the top 4 in the league that brought the top players here.  Looking back at it now it was a wasted period.  We had Gerrard wrecking teams on his own for years.  That was enough to keep us all happy and the manager in a job.  In reality we had the players to win the league, we just didn't have a manager with the conviction to do it.  Our tactics were to squeeze the life out of games and it eventually did the same to our own players.

There's people all over the forum talking about Rodgers trying too hard to look clever and hankering for this cunt back.  He was worse than anyone else in football for that shit.  He would always do something unorthodox when all that was required was the obvious and it cost the club on plenty of occasions.  It will be interesting to see if he starts benching Real's big players mid season to save them for minor cups games against the shite over there and the reaction of the fans to it.

• Downvote 3

It's better than the no league cup and dogshit football we would have watched if he had stayed.

I've just read that you nearly 40 TK.  You should stop getting so angry at other people's views, you're getting too old for that shit.  I think Rafa is an overated manager.  Had he not had Gerrard he wouldn't have lasted past his first season.  As soon as Gerrard stopped being able to be Gerrard his tactics fell to pieces.  The club has struggled since then.  Gerrard has even said it himself.  He wishes he would have met Rodgers earlier because he would have won a few league titles.  I've got no doubts to what period of his career he is saying that about.

Gerrard also said that he had no doubt Hodgson was the right man for the job.  Gerrard is one of the main reasons we haven't won a league title while he has been here.

• Downvote 4

If Gerrard laments not winning a league title perhaps he could look back at last season rather than blaming the guy who gave him his most successful (both on a personal level and medals) years as a player.

Or maybe he should have signed for Valencia in 2001 :)

• Downvote 1

Starting to get increasingly difficult to pretend he isn't a really good manager.

It always amused me when Villa and Newcastle were mentioned as possible clubs for Rafa...in what fucking reality would something like that happen?

It always amused me when Villa and Newcastle were mentioned as possible clubs for Rafa...in what fucking reality would something like that happen?

Then hearing Villa and Newcastle fans turn their noses up at the prospect.

Media gonna media.

• Upvote 1

I hope he does go there.  It means he's not here.  After he wins their equivalent of the FA Cup, struggles in the league and gets to the semi of the Champions League with the most expensive team ever assembled, playing dogshit football, relying on outdated tactics which only negate other teams and rely on having superstar players, you can come back here and tell us all what idiots we were for not having him back.

Real Madrid have ran out of managers to hire.  That's the only reason he'll be getting a job.

If ever my kidneys fail, I'm turning to this post, because nothing takes the piss as much as this.

• Upvote 2

Starting to get increasingly difficult to pretend he isn't a really good manager.

That's optimistic. I think the Rafa denialists will still be pretending.

If managing Liverpool, Chelsea, Valencia and Inter Milan didn't stop the Rafa denialists, then I don't see why managing Real Madrid will.

• Upvote 5