You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shouldn't be thinking of replacing Pepe; we should be replacing Jones with someone better and hungrier. We need to keep Pepe on the form he's been on since he missed a few games.

Yeah definitely. The only reason to let him go would be if he really didn't want to stay. I'm hopeful he will.

Much as it helped Pepe to arrest a slide, I think Jones showed he's not really up to the job if Pepe gets injured.

Dont really get why people think we need better than Jones as back up. Think he's done well when getting the chance and i cannot remember us dropping points or loosing as a direct result of his mistakes, or that we looked more shaky than normal at the back because of him.

Dont really get why people think we need better than Jones as back up. Think he's done well when getting the chance and i cannot remember us dropping points or loosing as a direct result of his mistakes, or that we looked more shaky than normal at the back because of him.

Yeah, i don't get the hysteria about spunking money on another keeper. Jones isn't a bad squad player. He did really well when called upon. If the rumours are untrue then wasting money on another keeper when we need strengthening in other positions is short sighted.

If the rumours are true and were about to sign Begovic from stoke (it was in a Bosnian sports paper that he told journalists he couldn't wait to join up with Liverpool for pre-season training) stoke denied this Begovic didn't, Then the money he'd cost you'd imagine he wont be a back up , and the fact Jones just signed a new contract then you'd imagine he was staying so (hope im wrong) Pepe would be on the move,Its all just reports so obviously it might be bollocks and next season will see Pepe in goal and a younger hungrier goalkeeper pushing him from the bench.

Guest San Don
Jones was shaky as fuck when he played this season.

I dont think he was, zig.

Lots of people seem to think you can have another world class keeper waiting to step in when the first choice is injured or whatever. Never going to happen because the other keeper wants to play.

I dont agree with the hysteria some people have towards Jones. Undoubtedly, Reina is the better keeper but, I dont think Jones has made as many gaffe's as reina did during his shaky spell.

That's not a criticism of Reina per se nor, an effort to build Jones up. He's a capable back up keeper.

That said, if Reina were to leave, I'd expect the club to replace him with someone of similar quality.

I'm hardly hysterical, have a sit down. He may not have given many goals away but that was more luck than judgement. I judge a player on what I see and I would be concerned about Jones playing for any length of time based on what I've seen. You're welcome to disagree, that's the way it goes.

I can't think of a decent reserve keeper in the league, nobody has one and we don't need one.

Cuidicini, Friedel, Given, off the top of my head (stretching the use of the term 'decent' here, I know).

There are plenty.

Guest San Don
Cuidicini, Friedel, Given, off the top of my head (stretching the use of the term 'decent' here, I know).

There are plenty.

Nope, you're still thinking of them when they were first choice. Cuidicini has gifted goals Jones would get slaughtered for if he did the same. Given has really gone off the boil as he's got older. Some would suggest he wasnt that good in his prime.

Friedel used to be here and was shite with a captial 'S.'

Guest San Don
I'm hardly hysterical, have a sit down. He may not have given many goals away but that was more luck than judgement. I judge a player on what I see and I would be concerned about Jones playing for any length of time based on what I've seen. You're welcome to disagree, that's the way it goes.

LOL! You silly bugger. Im not saying you're being hysterical. Im saying some are.

There are plenty.

Cudicini plays for LA Galaxy.

The German fella at Swansea that played all the cup games is pretty good, I think.

There are plenty.

Given and Cuidicini are only reserve keepers because they won't fuck off, neither are wanted by the their clubs. Friedel is the only example of a decent back up keeper bu he is nearly 90.

Nope' date=' you're still thinking of them when they were first choice. Cuidicini has gifted goals Jones would get slaughtered for if he did the same. Given has really gone off the boil as he's got older. Some would suggest he wasnt that good in his prime.

Friedel used to be here and was shite with a captial 'S.'[/quote']

Friedel wasnt shite here,he was just very inexperienced at the time.

I think we might have kept him if it wasnt for the overseas player limit.

Jones is fucking shite. I'm sorry but I dont even know how he's a professional footballer. Seems a nice lad and that, but I'd rather have Suarez in goal.

Going by what exactly?

Cause surely you cannot have come to that conclusion from the 15 or so games he played this season, of which we won 8, was it and a few draws and lost like 3 or 4, and he was hardly at fault in any of them. Reina is obviously better, but as back up i dont see why we should change when there is no need to.

There are plenty.

The only problem with the above names (except Friedel who is a very good back up despite he's 90) they are crap and all either 40 or very near 40 that would hardly push Pepe imo he'd know at best they were only back up and probably only for 1 season therefore less of a challenge than Jones who is also shite.

Going by what exactly?

Cause surely you cannot have come to that conclusion from the 15 or so games he played this season, of which we won 8, was it and a few draws and lost like 3 or 4, and he was hardly at fault in any of them. Reina is obviously better, but as back up i dont see why we should change when there is no need to.

I was obviously being overly inflammatory (I don't seriously want to Suarez in goal instead of him) but having watched all of his games for us and also a few of his games when he went to Derby, I've come to the conclusion that he's not a very good goalkeeper.

I think about 20 games (thats around 17 for us and a few others), in other words half a season, is a fairly decent amount of games to decide whether a player is decent enough to be in your squad. His performances, bar a couple in which he's had very little to do, have been pretty darn poor.

The disparity between his and Reina's level is just unhealthy. As somebody said, Lindegard (however its spelt) was constantly pushing for De Gea's place and similarly, the other backups on this thread have at one time been first class, proven goalkeepers. Such as Doni would have been.

If i'm honest though I don't actually care that much haha.