You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 years later...

So, pre-season in the USA.  They do that weird American thing of playing the national anthem at every fucking opportunity.  And then they play "God Save the Queen".  (The shit one, not the Pistols.)

Tricky position for the lad.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/james-mcclean-pictured-with-his-back-to-the-british-national-anthem-god-save-the-queen-during-west-brom-friendly-in-south-carolina-10399544.html

Tricky my fucking hole! In what way is it tricky? He's been pulling this 'look at me' schtick for years in one guise or another. Name me another player in the English leagues who has pulled this shit in recent times?  Politics and sport should never mix. WBA fucked off Anelka for his shenanigans previously. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this prick...

Happy enough to live and play in England and be paid lots of English money though hypocritical prick!

I can just imagine him sat at home with 20 grand in five pound notes, permanent marker in hand, angrily crossing out the queen's face on each one.

• Upvote 6

If you play or work in a country you respect their customs etc.

In Australia you have shrimps on the barbie.

In the U.S. You carry a gun and eat barbecued everything.

In Thailand you shag ladyboys.

Show respect or go home.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Tricky my fucking hole! In what way is it tricky? He's been pulling this 'look at me' schtick for years in one guise or another. Name me another player in the English leagues who has pulled this shit in recent times?  Politics and sport should never mix. WBA fucked off Anelka for his shenanigans previously. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this prick...

What an outrage! And this week of all weeks, some nerve, all heil the birthright superior.

• Upvote 1

If you play or work in a country you respect their customs etc.

In Australia you have shrimps on the barbie.

In the U.S. You carry a gun and eat barbecued everything.

In Thailand you shag ladyboys.

Show respect or go home.

I agree with this.

In Belgium, you could cut the hands off players.

In Holland, you could all get stoned.

In Germany, you could force all the Greek players to give you their wages.

In Switzerland, you could eurhanize shit players....Degen is first in line for the big sleep.

• Upvote 2

Tricky my fucking hole! In what way is it tricky? He's been pulling this 'look at me' schtick for years in one guise or another. Name me another player in the English leagues who has pulled this shit in recent times? Politics and sport should never mix. WBA fucked off Anelka for his shenanigans previously. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this prick...

Theres been more than enough of this 'you wear this and you like it' carry on. Hes chosen not to wear a poppy and it seems like his employers at sunderland and wigan have accepted it that although sunderland immediately alerted the press and distanced themselves from his right to decide. Whelan at Wigan published the letter mcclean wrote to him explaining his decision.

not to keep on about how northern ireland is a different case from the rest of the uk but wearing a poppy in bristol is different from wearing a poppy in belfast. For a lot of people its a badge of loyalism, something to identify them as protestants and its rammed down your throat. I ve seen bandsmen in July wearing poppies the size of your face on their uniforms. I thought remembrance sunday was in november.

Similarly, god save the queen is not recognised by everyone as their national anthem and is often sung at irish league football matches or political protests antagonise. The rep of ire anthem the soldier song is also sang to antagonise as well. Not tarring everyone with the same brush as a lot of people wear poppies or sing anthems for the right reason but its everyones right to act according to their own beliefs. If hes breaking the law he should be punished if not then im sure he ll get plenty of grief and a few death threats from morons but its his decision. Its not like hes pissed on the ground while the anthem was being played.

• Upvote 3

The West Bromwich Albion team are travelling from JFK airport on a coach.

Pulis: Good win the other day lads but this game against New York City FC is going to be a lot tougher... looks like we're here at our base... in Queens.

Screaming can be heard as the rear door of the coach slams open and a player is seen sprinting off into the distance.

• Upvote 2

Seems a bit silly to "protest" the national anthem if you're happy to live, work and get paid in England.

If you're so republican, why not go home? And I would consider myself Irish.

Isnt he from N.Ireland? Which would mean he is from the UK,no? So is still working in his own country,as such.

Please,correct me if I am wrong.

The Irish have excellent relations with the rest of Britain, and rightly so.

I would love Maclean to be invited to explain his actions to us all, a proper platform, so we can all have the benefit of his philosophy.

I have refused to stand for that dirge on multiple occasions so no big deal for me.
  • Upvote 2