You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

46 minutes ago, an tha said:

Thanks to all for kind words - genuinely appreciated!

No what ifs, champ.....Yet - just some very sore legs!!

Thanks for letting me share on here - is good to externalise stuff and if it helps others on their journeys too...as well as picking up what others are up to - i'll leave the floor and stop hogging thread now! 

I’m not having that you haven’t asked yourself what time you might have got in better conditions

48 minutes ago, an tha said:

Thanks to all for kind words - genuinely appreciated!

No what ifs, champ.....Yet - just some very sore legs!!

Thanks for letting me share on here - is good to externalise stuff and if it helps others on their journeys too...as well as picking up what others are up to - i'll leave the floor and stop hogging thread now! 

Keep talking to us…you know the dip’s just round the corner

1 hour ago, Champ said:

I’m not having that you haven’t asked yourself what time you might have got in better conditions

Not yet...it will happen though.

I am asking myself what i could have done had i not slowed to the lightest jog for about 5 mins or so of last full mile after slipping and jarring my hip mind.....i managed to recover to put in a 'sprint' finish.....The use of the word sprint is relative!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, an tha said:

Official result 3:29:32

I'll fucking take that!

Good effort, you must be delighted with that.

Quick question, how old were you when you started the running? I have no desire to be running marathons but wouldn't mind a 10k now and again but can't stick at it. Always little injuries, I'm falling apart 

4 minutes ago, John102 said:

Good effort, you must be delighted with that.

Quick question, how old were you when you started the running? I have no desire to be running marathons but wouldn't mind a 10k now and again but can't stick at it. Always little injuries, I'm falling apart 

Made up!

I started in 2021 - was 49.

Couch to 5k was my approach....i can still recall to this day absolutely bricking it when i jad to do a 20 min run!

I'd recommend running to anyone if they can do it without getting hurt....it has been the single biggest positive for both my mental and physical health.

Get out there - build up very slowly and steadily and see where it takes you!

• Upvote 5

I did the couch to 5k but had to stop running for a while now as I’ve had an ear infection that’s lasted on and off for bloody weeks. Running jarred my head and it was too painful. It’s eased a bit so this week at the gym I just walked. Dead fast like ha, and it was good to get the heart rate pumping and that weird happy ache in the old legs. I use the gym instead of just walking outside because it concentrates me. Worth doing I think if you’re having issues with running. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bernard Diomede said:

I’ve got a place in the London marathon next year running for a children’s cancer charity so it’s going to be back pounding the tarmac having not ran consistently for a good year or 2.

That marathon time was an incredible effort an tha, well done mate 

I was made up with it. Cheers.

You've got a bomb load of time to build up running now and then execute a really solid 16 week marathon training block.

Loads of plans can find online that suit - get stuck in and keep us posted about your progress and if want to share any ideas etc - just shout!

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

I was made up with it. Cheers.

You've got a bomb load of time to build up running now and then execute a really solid 16 week marathon training block.

Loads of plans can find online that suit - get stuck in and keep us posted about your progress and if want to share any ideas etc - just shout!

Nice one mate. I ran the Edinburgh marathon in 2018 and ran fairly regularly for a good few years after but had a problem with my calf for the last couple of years so scaled back the running. Fingers crossed the calf seems to be ok now so I’m looking forward to starting up again. Just going to be doing a couple of 5/10k runs a week before Christmas alongside some other training as I’ll get bored if I go too heavy too early. Looking forward to doing it though, there are 4 of us running it so should be a good weekend. 

21 minutes ago, Bernard Diomede said:

Nice one mate. I ran the Edinburgh marathon in 2018 and ran fairly regularly for a good few years after but had a problem with my calf for the last couple of years so scaled back the running. Fingers crossed the calf seems to be ok now so I’m looking forward to starting up again. Just going to be doing a couple of 5/10k runs a week before Christmas alongside some other training as I’ll get bored if I go too heavy too early. Looking forward to doing it though, there are 4 of us running it so should be a good weekend. 

Nice one, sounds like a good plan to me - the 16 week dedicated marathon training coming after you have eased and settled back into running regularly should work spot on.

Enjoy!

On 23/09/2023 at 01:17, an tha said:

Got a half marathon race on sunday.

Not sure it is a great idea just 2 weeks to the day from marathon - but going to give it a go 

Hoping to get sub 1.40....not sure if i am fresh enough to do it but will give it a shot.

1:38:30

On a hilly course too - couple of killer hills around 9/10 miles.

Made up with that time though and another PB.

Finished 105th out of 641

• Upvote 3

On 23/09/2023 at 13:04, Bernard Diomede said:

If its still a bother get it properly looked at, it'll probably just be tightness in the ankle or something elsewhere. People often leave injuries and niggles and they're often simple and easy to fix problems. I used to get slight pain in the shins which turned out to be really tight ankles, there's often easy little exercises you can do to put things right.

Brother in Law ran the Berlin marathon yesterday, where the Ethiopian girl obliterated the womens world record by two and a half minutes after only graduating from 800 metres last year.

My immediate reaction is that it is very fishy and my thoughts turn to drugs, but my BIL reckons these new bouncy trainies can make a massive difference, and given Berlin is a very fast, flat marathon he is giving her the benefit of the doubt.

What do the runners on here think ?

• 2 weeks later...

Did the Chester metric marathon yesterday. Been debating whether to try a full marathon and saw this as a tester - its 27km instead of miles (16.7 miles). Was hoping for around 2:30 but crossed the line in 2:17 - well chuffed, especially with it being quite warm yesterday. Was a pretty enjoyable run with a few inclines thrown in. Our route joined in with the full marathon route for about the last 8/9km and it was a bit unnerving seeing some of the marathon runners pulling up/having to stop for breaks - seen two of them needing medical attention.

Despite that, I think it has made me realise I probably can do a full marathon - hopefully next year.

• Upvote 3

Full marks to anyone that does a full marathon hard work and determination. Most I've done is a 1/2 and I'm not doing any more than that. I just don't see the point. It is fucking hard putting your body through that and I personally do not see any benefit over and above quick 10k's and 1/2's. I think it gets to a certain distance and you are doing more harm than good. especially if you are doing decent times. Even after a 1/2 my knees hips and ankles are fucked. If you are built like Mo Farah probably less impact but if I was to go for the full hit I recon it would do me in. Hats off to you but not for me.

• Upvote 1

"Kiptum, who was wearing Nike Dev 163 prototype shoes, said he had not initially targeted Kipchoge’s old record of 2:01:09. But that rapidly changed towards the end of the race, when he ran the 22nd mile in an astonishing 4min 18sec."

like, wtf?

3 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Did the Chester metric marathon yesterday. Been debating whether to try a full marathon and saw this as a tester - its 27km instead of miles (16.7 miles). Was hoping for around 2:30 but crossed the line in 2:17 - well chuffed, especially with it being quite warm yesterday. Was a pretty enjoyable run with a few inclines thrown in. Our route joined in with the full marathon route for about the last 8/9km and it was a bit unnerving seeing some of the marathon runners pulling up/having to stop for breaks - seen two of them needing medical attention.

Despite that, I think it has made me realise I probably can do a full marathon - hopefully next year.

Nice one would if you could hold that pace for a full put you in around 3.35....

Not bad at all.

12 hours ago, an tha said:

Nice one would if you could hold that pace for a full put you in around 3.35....

Not bad at all.

Thanks - not sure I could have maintained that pace for another 10 miles on Sunday but well on track for sub 4 hours, which I would happily take!

Focus is now on my running streak - I have ran a minimum of 5km per day since 18th January 2021 and I am due to hit day 1000 this coming Saturday.  

• Upvote 2

On 25/09/2023 at 19:01, sir roger said:

Brother in Law ran the Berlin marathon yesterday, where the Ethiopian girl obliterated the womens world record by two and a half minutes after only graduating from 800 metres last year.

My immediate reaction is that it is very fishy and my thoughts turn to drugs, but my BIL reckons these new bouncy trainies can make a massive difference, and given Berlin is a very fast, flat marathon he is giving her the benefit of the doubt.

What do the runners on here think ?

Last time I blitzed the world record by 2 mins I did it barefoot so people couldn't use my trainees as as excuse.

• Haha 1