You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

The G&H/FSG comparison becomes greater as time goes by, apart from solvency. Absentee owners, no knowledge of the game,non-domicile Directors, weak hapless MD, erratic appointments, no stadium.

Sorry but I am getting fed up with this bollocks!

Hicks and Gillett where crooks! Lying, pernicious criminals who didn't give a flying fuck whether or not the club folded. The lied day in, day out to try and buy more time to sell the club on for a profit. What you, me or anyone else on this site or in the ground felt about that was irrelevant, you didn't matter.

FSG are far from perfect, but they are a long way from being those two! They're intentions are to improve the club, every decision is taken with the club in mind. It might not be ideal, and you don't have to like their ideas, and their ultimate aim is to make a profit, but those two fucking criminals should never be used as a comparison.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is right, its a fucking joke. Sacking a man who's won a trophy for some no mark who manages to keep wigan up for a couple of seasons.

FFS.

It's not surprising really - if you look at John W Henry twitter account he only follows 12 people - 11 of them are UK football writers. Is it really a surprise that he reads and accepts what they say?

Cunt of the highest order.

Him - Not you!

I agree.

A deal could have been done with AVB or Rafa if they really wanted either of them.

The G&H/FSG comparison becomes greater as time goes by, apart from solvency. Absentee owners, no knowledge of the game,non-domicile Directors, weak hapless MD, erratic appointments, no stadium.

That's not necessarily true.

They're American, here in America, people interview loads of people even if they've already got an idea of where they want to go. In all likelihood we will approach and interview more candidates than just Martinez. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to get the GM in before the Manager either, that's how it usually seems to be done here in the states as those two have to be able to work together to a large extent for the relationship to be successful.

That said, the fact that Martinez is supposedly a candidate does make me a bit uneasy about the whole thing.

Last season we drew at home to Norwich, Swansea, Villa, lost to Wigan, West Brom and Fulham, scraped by QPR 1-0 and that's just our home form! Not mentioning our many shit performances and silly defeats. I was 13 in 1991 when Keny quit and he was my first Liverpool boss and we were a great team. I idolized him as much as anyone but this time round his results weren't up to it. When he was brought back as manager I was so happy. It felt like rewinding the clock 20 years but unfortunately he couldn't get the team performing. If it was any other manager then he would have gone so why should Kenny be kept on? Right now I think Martinez would do a nice job. He would get us playing a good passing game.

When Shankly came in 1959 he wasn't a very young manager and had been around a good few clubs without pulling up any trees. He was given a chance and a few quid and took us to success. It can happen.

Hang on a minute - you appear to be saying that our record this season has been terrible but feel that Martinez would do better?

Wigan Athletic

15 June 2009 - June 2012

P127 W34 D36 L57 - Managerial %26.77

What are you basing your assessment on?

How hard is it to comprehend that Roberto Martinez is not our manager. There is a list of people. Martinez is on that list. Who knows how many people we have approached for an interview? It's only down to Whelan being a big-mouthed cunt that the twitter driven hype and rumour mills have exploded.

Be patient. FSG are not clueless.

So are you saying you're happy with the standard tha Martinez sets for our manager?

It's not about WHO is the manager at the moment - It's about the ambition to get the BEST manager. That doesn't seem to be the case at all here.

Hang on a minute - you appear to be saying that our record this season has been terrible but feel that Martinez would do better?

Wigan Athletic

15 June 2009 - June 2012

P127 W34 D36 L57 - Managerial %26.77

What are you basing your assessment on?

To be fair, if we're comparing stats then we need to take into account spend.

I don't mind Martinez as a person, but if we're going for a manager who hasn't hit the heights, i'd at least like to see someone who's shown steady improvement. Wigan are, pretty much, where i expect them to be.

Guest davelfc
Alan Kayll

‏@alantkayll

Following

Fuck off FSG!!! And fuck you Paul Tomkins.

Reply Retweet Favorite

Hopefully they are speaking to Rafa.

Or they've gone with a different cab company now for getting to the ground.

How about Rafa, then?

Sacked in his first 2 jobs, relegated in his 3rd and had only scraped promotion in his 4th before being given the Valencia job (coming off 2 Champions League final appearances) amidst vehement opposition from their fans?

You have to make your mind up what you want - Do you want us to be a proving ground for Young managers with Potential or do you want us to go for the best Manager available and push to win domestic and european trophies?

So are you saying you're happy with the standard tha Martinez sets for our manager?

It's not about WHO is the manager at the moment - It's about the ambition to get the BEST manager. That doesn't seem to be the case at all here.

It is about getting the right manager, not the best!

There are numerous clubs sitting on top of their respective leagues throughout Europe and they all have managers whose CV would not even warrant a mention by our fans, take account of those challenging and there are more.

surely the face he spent about 100million less and had a worse squad to start with?

Worse squad - but they beat us? They still play the same teams in the league that we do and the record stands as it is.

You can't say Kenny has to go due to his record and then say we should have Martinez due to his potential when his record is worse than the manager we have just got rid of.

At best it's blind optimism at worse it's desperation!

It is about getting the right manager, not the best!

There are numerous clubs sitting on top of their respective leagues throughout Europe and they all have managers whose CV would not even warrant a mention by our fans, take account of those challenging and there are more.

I can't believe I've just read that - Liverpool now should get the right manager NOT the best?

jeez!!!!

I can't believe I've just read that - Liverpool now should get the right manager NOT the best?

jeez!!!!

Yes. It is quite a simple concept.

Unless, and I am ready for you to tell me this, you can tell me who the BEST manager is at this moment?

Is their a league table for managers, or do you simply go on what they have won previously (which by the way would have discounted previous managers of Liverpool)?

How do you define what is the best manager?

I say this because, Kenny wasn't the best at the time, nor was Roy, nor was Ged, nor was Rafa.

Worse squad - but they beat us? They still play the same teams in the league that we do and the record stands as it is.

You can't say Kenny has to go due to his record and then say we should have Martinez due to his potential when his record is worse than the manager we have just got rid of.

At best it's blind optimism at worse it's desperation!

I don't particularly think anything of the Martinez appointment should it happen, I'm just gonna wait and see what happens, same with pretty much all of the likely candidates, it can't be denied that Wigan have less money, worse players and worse most things compared to us so I would say in the League Martinez did far better than Kenny this season given the different targets set, now you may say thats due to lower expectations but its hardly fair to expect Wigan to have the same as Liverpool, how he'd do if he got the job remains to be seen but he has met all his targets as a manager last season something Kenny didn't

I'd agree 100% with that - perhaps I read him wrong. that doesn't appear to be what he's suggesting.

I'm not having a go, but it is a dangerous attitude to take and one that I believe Chelsea take.

The best manager can be argued about now, but I think the right manager is something that has to be discussed in time. If you employ potential then clearly you need to make your decision in time, Rafa may have won two la liga titles and a UEFA cup, but Valencia employed him on the back of his time at Extramedura (?), same with Klopp. They clearly were not the best at the time, but they have proven to be the right appointments.

Yes. It is quite a simple concept.

Unless, and I am ready for you to tell me this, you can tell me who the BEST manager is at this moment?

Is their a league table for managers, or do you simply go on what they have won previously (which by the way would have discounted previous managers of Liverpool)?

How do you define what is the best manager?

I say this because, Kenny wasn't the best at the time, nor was Roy, nor was Ged, nor was Rafa.

OK - Point taken, I'm just being a gobshite at this news and reacting badly.

But let me ask you this: We probably can't say who the "Best" manager is at the moment but I would guess that Roberto Martinez wouldn't get near the top 50 in that list.

Would that - in your eyes - make Martinez the "Right" manager?