You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Havent been in years mate but when i was it was a great spot.Great bars,unbelievable clubs,great beaches & sound people.Dont know if its still there but i went to a place near the beach called La Routa de Baccallo(sp???).It was a load of massive clubs all close to each other that stayed open mad hours.Puzzle & Barraca were the best of the lot.Also have a vague memory of drinking in a pub called Liverpool aswell.

Well remembered, Mr Tuebrook. I am indeed still here and a glorious day it is too.

Is it a group of adults or are you bringing a team of kids over? If it's the former, I'd recommend hiring a couple of apartments instead of going for a hotel. You can get some pretty tasty places, that sleep up to ten people in the centre of town, at better rates than your average hotel. I know a few families that have stayed in these places and the ones I've seen were fantastic. Self catering, obviously, but get yourself to a supermarket when you get here (Valencia has the cheapest in Spain, no less) for breakfast and booze and you can eat out cheaply enough.

There aren't loads of places to see; the City of Arts and Science is a must, plus the old quarter, the Central Market, the main squares etc. Get a paella on the beach for lunch, la Pepica is the best taste/value ratio but book in advance. Depending on when you're coming, hire some four people pedal cars and cruise up the 10km park that runs through the middle of the city (that used to be the river till it flooded too many times so they moved it). I, personally, wouldn't be arsed about the Oceanografic (sorry Robbie); the dolphin display is amazing but, at the end of the day, it's just fuck loads of fish. If you're feeling a bit nature loving, I'd recommend the Bioparc, an open air African zoo (elephants, rhinos, lions... that sort of shite). I went last summer and loved it but is obviously dependant on nice weather.

Eating out, I'd recommend Canovas, drinking in El Carmen, Canovas or Ruzafa, smaller clubs down Blasco Ibañez and bigger clubs down by the beach. The beach clubs are closed in the winter, though, so, once again, it totally depends when you're coming.

When and who are you coming with?

edit - kopboy, never heard of those clubs (but then these days I'm not much of a clubber) but you're right about the Liverpool bar.

Well remembered, Mr Tuebrook. I am indeed still here and a glorious day it is too.

Is it a group of adults or are you bringing a team of kids over? If it's the former, I'd recommend hiring a couple of apartments instead of going for a hotel. You can get some pretty tasty places, that sleep up to ten people in the centre of town, at better rates than your average hotel. I know a few families that have stayed in these places and the ones I've seen were fantastic. Self catering, obviously, but get yourself to a supermarket when you get here (Valencia has the cheapest in Spain, no less) for breakfast and booze and you can eat out cheaply enough.

There aren't loads of places to see; the City of Arts and Science is a must, plus the old quarter, the Central Market, the main squares etc. Get a paella on the beach for lunch, la Pepica is the best taste/value ratio but book in advance. Depending on when you're coming, hire some four people pedal cars and cruise up the 10km park that runs through the middle of the city (that used to be the river till it flooded too many times so they moved it). I, personally, wouldn't be arsed about the Oceanografic (sorry Robbie); the dolphin display is amazing but, at the end of the day, it's just fuck loads of fish. If you're feeling a bit nature loving, I'd recommend the Bioparc, an open air African zoo (elephants, rhinos, lions... that sort of shite). I went last summer and loved it but is obviously dependant on nice weather.

Eating out, I'd recommend Canovas, drinking in El Carmen, Canovas or Ruzafa, smaller clubs down Blasco Ibañez and bigger clubs down by the beach. The beach clubs are closed in the winter, though, so, once again, it totally depends when you're coming.

edit - kopboy, never heard of those clubs (but then these days I'm not much of a clubber) but you're right about the Liverpool bar.

Jorge,

I'm going in April with the missus for my 40th, staying at the Westin Valencia - do you know what it's like?

Could you also recommend a really good (and by that I mean expensive as I'm not paying for a change) restaurant?

Cheers in advance.

Rico

Went in 2004 for Las Fallas. (Basically their bommy night)

It was a brilliant city, even managed to get to see their f******* team. They beat Mallorca 5-1. I remember thinking, I'd love their manager at L*C........

If anyone was going to come, that's when I'd recommend doing so; 15th to the 19th of March. It's just mental; street parties, paella, burning everything and fireworks, fireworks, fireworks. Don't bring your pets.

Jorge,

I'm going in April with the missus for my 40th, staying at the Westin Valencia - do you know what it's like?

Could you also recommend a really good (and by that I mean expensive as I'm not paying for a change) restaurant?

Cheers in advance.

Rico

The Westin is by far the plushest place in town. It's where Barca stay everytime they come. Alas, I've never been privvy to enter but I often walk past thinking "One day... ". With regards the restaurant, I'll get back to you. I don't normally eat money-no-object but, although it's pretty down to earth, Valencia can be quite glamorous and there are definitely some swanky places to get food. I teach a few rich business men so will ask what they think.

I went on a stag do several years ago and we had a brilliant time. We were in the 5* hotel there and as luck would have it, Barca were in town that weekend and in the hotel with us. Was crazy - fans and media camped outside.

Hotel manager was gutted we were there then.

That'll be the Westin, I reckon.

Cheers mate.

We'll be a group of blokes aged 30-50 and we'll be out in June when a certain sporting event will be on so somewhere to watch this would be dead handy too.

Fair play, the weather will be heating up quite nicely but not too mental so beers in the sun won't get too messy too quickly. There are loads of Irish bars dotted around for watching *cough* you know what (St Paddy's on Gran Via has lots of tellies), or there's Liverpool, which is a bit out of the way but is dead cheap. Or there's a Yank-run bar called The Portland, that serves decent, home-made bitter (honestly, it's a heaven send after a constant flow of lager everywhere else), where we watched a few of the g*mes last year*. The Portland and St Paddy's are just round the corner from each other and are in the Canovas area where there are loads of places to eat and carry on drinking afterwards. The area, as a whole, doesn't stay open too late, though.

edit, *not last year... my, how time flies.

• 1 month later...

Rico,

I've been asking around and I think I've found the place for you. It's called Vertical and, coincidentally, is just round the corner from me.

restaurante vertical

I was in a class with an MD who I'm teaching English to and he called in his resident schmoozer who recommended it to me, saying he always takes anyone he's trying to impress there. Apparently it's essential you book in advance to make sure you get one of the window seats as, not only is it a Michelin star restaurant, but it's on the ninth floor of a modern tower block with a spectacular view, overlooking the City of Arts and Sciences with a view of the whole city beyond. There are other seats with a view looking out to the port and to sea but he says the view isn't quite so impressive.

There's no menu, it's a 'menu de desgustación' - little tasters, so it's perfect if you don't speak Spanish, they just bring out little dishes of gourmet shite, piled up on little plates, one after the other - you know the drill.

The bloke that recommended it to me is very well connected, by the way. He said if there's any trouble getting booked in I should let him know and he'll 'have a word'. Ha!

I've just remembered, he told me you can book online but to make sure you get a window seat you should call. If you do want to go there, let me know and I can call and book it for you, if you want, so you don't have to a) pay for an expensive phone call or b) speak Spanish. I would imagine they speak English, though, as it's a posh place.

Jorge - that's brilliant mate, thanks so much for taking the trouble to do this.

If you could book us a table for Saturday 14th around 10ish (I'm thinking we'll be eating later like a local) I'd be grateful.

Obviously if you are around for a cheeky pint whilst we are there I'm buying. Drop me a PM with your number if you fancy it.

Thanks again, Rico

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant advice thanks mate.

We've got this place that can sleep 10 for £110 a night or £128 with a cleaner.

photo_01.jpg

• 1 month later...

Lifetime - That's a good area, more or less halfway between the city centre and the beach and pretty close to the area, Canovas, that I talked about, where there are a few places to watch the unmentionable. (It's also got some weird, yet alluring, Rumba bar, filled with Latina lovelies that keeps drawing me back after long drinking sessions).

Steve, nice one. Hope to see you Satdee. I normally work but I've got the day off so I'll be aiming to get down there a while before k*** o** to get warmed up and make the most of my freedom.

Any other forumites more than welcome. (I've already met Crouchieboy (a real gent) and his lovely lady when they were over last!)

• 1 month later...
Hi mate, I can answer that one! The metro is about 20 mins and easy to use there is a station at the airport and it cost about 5 Euro each instead of 40 in a cab.

Cheers mate, looks like they'll only be 4 of us this year so metro it is.

What was the restaurant like Jorge recommended for you?

It was good, but to be honest to 'faffy' for us - not his fault obviously!!! We enjoyed it but wouldn't eat there again.

We did find another one called Civera which was excellent. Traditional fish restaurant with great staff and amazing food. Paella was simply brilliant. The address is Mossen Femades 10 46002 Valencia.

Try and meet up with Rich (Jorge) he's a top bloke and knows everything there is to know about the city.