You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Clearing Luis's name: time for the club and the fans to speak up

Neil G

The place to clear names and reputations is not a press conference, a newspaper, a website forum, in emails nor challenging a self-appointed authority like the FA in their own self-appointed forums.

It is in a court of law.

In the case of Luiz, a "workplace" incident, this would mean us taking the FA and/or Evra and/or his employer (an organisation called Manchester United) to court.

That's the only way to do it, the right and proper way to do it, for all the world to sit up and take notice, and if we were successful, for everyone to leave him and us the fuck alone.

Such a course, of course, has massive side effects, caveats, implications, asterisks and most of all risks.

But it's the only true, fair, ballsy way. That's what the club would do if they were deadly serious. And confident.

I'd support them doing it. I could also see why they wouldn't.

But, if this is how serious the matter is, that's where its resolution belongs.

In my opinion.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All fair comment Skaro.

The problem for the club is that there is nowhere for us to go against the FA. We are voluntary members of a sporting association whose rules we help approve, and agree to be bound by, including a process, the result of which we have accepted, and not appealed.

I believe that there were two reasons why we chose not to appeal. Firstly, that the risks of ongoing bad publicity were greater than the rewards of a reviewed verdict/ reduced penalty. Secondly, that it suited some key club officials not to have their actions scrutinised further.

I think that Luis does have a prima facie case against The Mirror for its “Racist” headline ( and that the failure of the Club to respond was a disgrace). But again the risks and rewards balance of a defamation action accepting that he used language with a racist dimension (albeit unintentionally), but that he wasn’t a racist would be hairy stuff.

It is difficult to see what Civil action Luis could take against Evra or Man U now.

Originally, we could (and should) have made a counter complaint against Evra for racist abuse, but we didn’t. It is part of a long list of things which could, and should have been done differently.

All fair comment Skaro.

The problem for the club is that there is nowhere for us to go against the FA. We are voluntary members of a sporting association whose rules we help approve, and agree to be bound by, including a process, the result of which we have accepted, and not appealed.

I believe that there were two reasons why we chose not to appeal. Firstly, that the risks of ongoing bad publicity were greater than the rewards of a reviewed verdict/ reduced penalty. Secondly, that it suited some key club officials not to have their actions scrutinised further.

I think that Luis does have a prima facie case against The Mirror for its “Racist” headline ( and that the failure of the Club to respond was a disgrace). But again the risks and rewards balance of a defamation action accepting that he used language with a racist dimension (albeit unintentionally), but that he wasn’t a racist would be hairy stuff.

It is difficult to see what Civil action Luis could take against Evra or Man U now.

Originally, we could (and should) have made a counter complaint against Evra for racist abuse, but we didn’t. It is part of a long list of things which could, and should have been done differently.

Just popped back here to say that that is what I expected us to do straight away and was highly surprised that we didnt.

It seems to highlight anybody with language skills at the club who would have realised that 'your sister's pussy' should be seen as more than just 'fuckin' hell' over here.