You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Speed

Mbrownrigg

I think there may be abit more to this to come out.Someone posted before about how it all sounded abit odd the way he was found.

Police going to a incident at his house and finding him there and then saying about contacting his next of kin.It sounded odd to me as well,now there seems to be a suggestion that a certain rag was about to release a story of his private life and he got to hear about it.

The *** are denying this apparently,the story is suppose to of started from the Telegraph reporting it tomorrow.

And people are hearing this where?

Just found this.

Gary Speed in apparent suicide just hours after tv appearance

At midday on Saturday the Wales manager Gary Speed was live on the BBC’s Football Focus programme discussing his future plans for the side.

By Mark Hughes, Crime Correspondent

7:39PM GMT 27 Nov 2011

He was on “great form” according to those there and left the studio after making tentative plans to appear again on the show before Christmas.

This morning, a little over 18 hours later, the 42-year-old was found hanged at his home in Cheshire having apparently committed suicide.

Last night mystery surrounded his death, with friends and figures in the football world at a loss to explain why Speed, a successful young manager and former Premier League player, would apparently take his own life.

Speed’s death came a day after the former Liverpool footballer Stan Collymore spoke candidly about his battle with depression. Online speculation suggested that Speed had perhaps suffered from the illness. Whether he did was not certain last night.

There was also suggestion that Speed, a former Leeds, Everton, Newcastle United and Bolton Wanderers player, had recently learned that a tabloid newspaper was to print a story about his private life.

The Sun newspaper denied online accusations.

A message on the paper’s official Twitter account read: “No truth in this story. The Sun was not investigating Gary Speed in any way.”

Police were called to Speed’s home in Huntington, Chester, shortly after 7am today. Officers discovered his body and a statement was released indicating that there were “no suspicious circumstances”.

His wife, Louise, and two children, Edward, 14, and Thomas, 13, were believed to be with family at the remote country house.

Police said that the family intend to make a public statement “at a later date”.

Last week Speed travelled to Brussels to attend a fixtures meeting for Wales’s World Cup campaign.

His Saturday had started with a trip to Salford, to the BBC’s new studios, to appear as a guest on Football Focus alongside his former Leeds United team mate Gary McAllister.

Dan Walker, the show’s presenter, said that Speed gave no outwardly sign of any personal turmoil. Instead he spoke about golf and his two sons and even made tentative arrangements to appear on the show next month.

Mr Walker said: “He was on great form, cracking jokes and asking about my family and kids. He was talking passionately about the future. There was absolutely no indication at all.

“He gave me the impression that he was really looking forward to his kids growing up to be really good footballers and Wales qualifying for the World Cup.”

After the show ended, at 1pm, he met up with Match of the Day pundits Alan Shearer, whom Speed had played alongside at Newcastle United, and Mark Lawrenson to watch the early Premier League game between Stoke City and Blackburn Rovers.

Then, just before 3pm, he made the short journey to Old Trafford to watch his former team Newcastle take on Manchester United.

The match finished shortly before 5pm and it is thought Speed travelled back to his home in Chester where, little more than 12 hours later, he was found hanged.

At some point in the day Speed is thought to have spoken to his former Wales team mate Robbie Savage.

Savage, who is currently appearing on Strictly Come Dancing, wrote on Twitter: “He was upbeat on phone yesterday we were laughing together, talking football and dancing he was a great teammate and a great friend

“He come to watch strictly 3/4 weeks ago I high fived him in the front row he loved the show ,he loved life he loved his family ! Devastated”

Other tributes were paid from the world of football.

Michael Owen, the Manchester United striker, lived close to Speed in Cheshire. He wrote: “Just cannot believe the news regarding Gary Speed. We waved at each other a couple of days ago dropping our kids off at school. I'm numb.

“He has died aged 42. So sad. He lived local to me and we knew his family. He leaves behind 2 sons. Tragic.”

The Prime Minister David Cameron also released a tribute via a Downing Street spokesman.

It said: "The Prime Minister was deeply saddened to hear of the death of Gary Speed, who was greatly respected by football fans across the country both as a player and manager.

"The Prime Minister's thoughts are with his family and friends on this very sad day for fans everywhere, especially in Wales."

The Football Association of Wales’s chief executive Jonathan Ford said: “I, and all of the football family of Wales, am devastated by the news of Gary’s passing. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family at this difficult time.”

Phil Pritchard, the association’s president, added: “I am completely shocked by this terrible news and my thoughts are with his family. We will do whatever we can as an association to help them in this difficult time.”

Gary Speed in apparent suicide just hours after tv appearance - Telegraph

So there's a denial on twitter from the scum; that doesn't really prove anything. I think it's better not to speculate on that at this point to be honest.

True there,the thing that got me intrigued was the same reporter had wrote about the tragedy three hours earlier with no mention of private life story in it.

So the guy who wrote the article and then add that extra piece in three hours later,would I imagine have a pretty strong source saying its true for him to change a tragic story like this.

I can't even comprehend what his family must be going through right now, but I have to say that some of the stuff I've heard today is just ridiculous, and some people really need to get a fucking grip of themselves. Seriously.

Gary Speed died.

Feel sad? Fine.

Struggle to comprehend? Fine.

But being "devastated" or "heart broken"? Do me a favour!

Unless you knew him, or he was your family, then you should all lay off with the faux mourning.

And, as much as I got involved with the minute's silence today I really don't think that sort of thing should be foisted on us. There was no affiliation to Liverpool whatsoever, nor to Man City but we're all obliged to feel utterly devastated. Why?

Forget the alleged circumstance, pathetic rumours and anything else and just try and get some context here.

More than one person told me today, with a straight face, that there shouldn't have been any games played today. Sorry, but fuck the fuck off.

Are we now to stop the whole world every time a great player dies?

I hope hope not, because without coming across as a total prick, there have been far better players and (dare I say It) far better people than Gary Speed who have died this day, this week, this month or this year with little or no ceremony whatsoever.

God bless him and his family, but I didn't know him at all, so I'm going to try my best to contain my emotions for now.

I reckon some of you lot should probably do the same.

I hear about it just before the Man City game today and I was moved to tears several times. First the devastating shock of a young man with everything in his life most of us would wish for just finds himself in a dark place he can't get out of.

Then the silent tribute at Anfield. Made me proud!

And then the news of Craig Bellamy; LFC did the right thing!

And then Kenny's words at the end - God, don't you love that man?

I lost a son four years ago - still don't know and don't care if it was an accident or suicide. I just know that it makes you understand how hard life is, and none of us should judge anyone else.

There's no doubt that family and friends can help but most of the time they don't know. They are the ones who bear the brunt of the shock and the loss.

It's right to pay tribute to a great sportsman and a great fella. But in some ways, I'm sure it makes the loss that much harder to bear.

YNWA

Guest ShoePiss
No you weren't.

There's a good chance he was, if you read it all you'll understand why.

As for Gary Speed, terrible for his family but I'm really not arsed about it.

Guest ShoePiss
But you acted this way over Michael Jackson, where you related to him? did you used to go camping with him? and i,m fucked if i'm gonna believe you and him used to moon walk the fuck out of The Grafton on a friday night together!

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/80760-michael-jackson-tribute-thread-haters-fuck-off-elsewhere.html

Funny.

Gary Speed died.

Feel sad? Fine.

Struggle to comprehend? Fine.

But being "devastated" or "heart broken"? Do me a favour!

Unless you knew him, or he was your family, then you should all lay off with the faux mourning.

And, as much as I got involved with the minute's silence today I really don't think that sort of thing should be foisted on us. There was no affiliation to Liverpool whatsoever, nor to Man City but we're all obliged to feel utterly devastated. Why?

Forget the alleged circumstance, pathetic rumours and anything else and just try and get some context here.

More than one person told me today, with a straight face, that there shouldn't have been any games played today. Sorry, but fuck the fuck off.

Are we now to stop the whole world every time a great player dies?

I hope hope not, because without coming across as a total prick, there have been far better players and (dare I say It) far better people than Gary Speed who have died this day, this week, this month or this year with little or no ceremony whatsoever.

God bless him and his family, but I didn't know him at all, so I'm going to try my best to contain my emotions for now.

I reckon some of you lot should probably do the same.

Really? So should we list these dead people in order of goodness or importance?

Sorry mate, your post is a lot less necessary than the ones from "devastated" people who didn't know him.

Normally I'd be with Tom on this and these sort of things barely even register with me but this has affected me today, I won't lie. I got a misty eyed when I listened to Dean Saunders talking about it earlier. Sad for his family but also for Speed himself who seemed to be really getting into his new profession as Wales manager. Like I say, this sort of thing never usually effects me but this has left me feeling gutted. No lie.

But you acted this way over Michael Jackson, where you related to him? did you used to go camping with him? and i,m fucked if i'm gonna believe you and him used to moon walk the fuck out of The Grafton on a friday night together!

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/80760-michael-jackson-tribute-thread-haters-fuck-off-elsewhere.html

Hmm.

Sorry, I just can't seem to recall ANYBODY ever eulogising too much over Gary Speed before today. Maybe I missed it?

Pretty sure we all had a few things to say about Jacko though, the massive weird fucking leg.

Normally I'd be with Tom on this and these sort of things barely even register with me but this has affected me today, I won't lie. I got a misty eyed when I listened to Dean Saunders talking about it earlier. Sad for his family but also for Speed himself who seemed to be really getting into his new profession as Wales manager. Like I say, this sort of thing never usually effects me but this has left me feeling gutted. No lie.

Same here. He's one of those people that flew under the radar for me but who seemed like a top bloke. Me and my mate were actually saying as much yesterday watching him on football focus, and yet a day later he's dead. It's the fact it's suicide too which has really hit me, you can't get your head around it when it's someone who's got a family and seems to have so much going for them, that confusion is compounded when you hear people talking about how he seemed upbeat yesterday.

And this is about the level it should be.

I've been saddened by it. I've felt bad about the whole thing.

But none of you are "heart broken" or "genuinely devastated" blah blah.

Get a fucking grip.

Call me all the cunts you like, but I'm probably more gutted that we dropped two points today, and very possibly because of this.

*braces himself for flack*

**doesn't really, because doesn't really give a fuck**