You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

What a run and goal by Johnson today. It wasn't the first time he looked a threat going forward today and we have seen it before in the final third he can run at opposition full backs and be a real threat.

But today we also saw a few times, where he looked vulnerable defensively.

I just wonder whether it might be a good chance to try Johnson at right midfield / wing, especially with Kuyt not really playing that well today and Henderson struggling in that position when used.

Johnson can then focus at what he is good at - attacking and we can play the more solid Kelly at right back.

It worked for Bale at Spurs and Johnson has played right midfield with success at Pompey, so why not give it a try?

Thoughts?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mourinho, Benitez, Dalglish and LFD. One of these 4 thinks Johnson should play on the wing and not at right back. I'm prepared to trust the judgement of the other 3.

I'd like to see him tried in that position. It might not work, but then again people probably said that about Bale before he was tried at left wing.

I'd like to see him tried in that position. It might not work, but then again people probably said that about Bale before he was tried at left wing.

I think people were saying that about Bale playing left back. He was dogshit in that position. Johnson is not dogshit at right back.

Heres a crazy suggestion, so try to stick with me here, but I've had this insane idea that we should stick with the back four that has conceded 1 goal in 3 games. Call me crazy if you like. Thoughts? I await the resident mongs to start calling for kelly and carra to return asap. Don't fix what aint broke someone once said. Fortunately for us, I reckon Kenny might just be familiar with this.

I don't think he was vulnerable defensively.

I remember Mata skinning him once.

I also remember Drogba running into the box and he made a half / weak challenge by dangling out a leg, which could have cost us.

I just feel Kelly is more solid defensively. Johnson however can be a real threat going forward.

I just wonder whether it might be a good chance to try Johnson at right midfield / wing, especially with Kuyt not really playing that well today and Henderson struggling in that position when used.

Thoughts?

Thats putting it mildly, and Downing has been playing there mostly this season anyway.

3 cb's and Enrique and Johnson as wingbacks

I would like to see how that works aswell.

Heres a crazy suggestion, so try to stick with me here, but I've had this insane idea that we should stick with the back four that has conceded 1 goal in 3 games. Call me crazy if you like. Thoughts? I await the resident mongs to start calling for kelly and carra to return asap. Don't fix what aint broke someone once said. Fortunately for us, I reckon Kenny might just be familiar with this.

Well I agree with the reasoning, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I just think sometime in the future it might be an option worth trying.

Gareth Bale hasn't played left back since he was 20 years old. Glen Johnson is 27 and has earned all of his 30 odd caps as a right back for the same reason Reina has earned his playing in goal. Why the fuck do you keep going on about Bale? Shall I start listing any right back I can think of that hasn't been turned into a winger to prove you wrong?

I don't think he was vulnerable defensively.

I remember Mata skinning him once.

I also remember Drogba running into the box and he made a half / weak challenge by dangling out a leg, which could have cost us.

I just feel Kelly is more solid defensively. Johnson however can be a real threat going forward.

World class player beats fullback ONCE in game. Person on internet claims this is 'being vulnerable defensively'. You couldn't make it up.

World class player beats fullback ONCE in game. Person on internet claims this is 'being vulnerable defensively'. You couldn't make it up.

Johnson has not looked solid defensively for a while. Lots of questions have been labelled at him for awhile. I have been a supporter of his and think he is much better defensively than people give him credit for.

However I do think a Kelly / Johnson combination could work brilliantly defensively and going forward.

I just want to see it tried and I'm amazed we haven't seen it tried since Johnson has arrived at the club.

Gareth Bale hasn't played left back since he was 20 years old. Glen Johnson is 27 and has earned all of his 30 odd caps as a right back for the same reason Reina has earned his playing in goal. Why the fuck do you keep going on about Bale? Shall I start listing any right back I can think of that hasn't been turned into a winger to prove you wrong?

Bale is an example of it working.

Sure there are probably examples of it not working.

I don't know if it will work, nor do you - until we try it, that's all I ask.

It is something that should have been tried in pre season and I said as much in the MF.

It`s not that simple. Playing him in right midfield would not give him the spaces to attack that he gets coming from deep at right back. Playing him in midfield, will se him make more inward runs to create space for the fullback. It`s completely different.

Also the vulnerable defensively aspect. He can be defensively suspect. But so do any other attacking full backs of his kind. Alves at Barcelona. Playing for a team like Barcelona, that keeps hold of the ball almost 75% of any match covers up his defensively shortcomings. In the end it`s all about balance. Do you want a player to stay back and play it safe? Or do you want someone with the ability to create moments like today?

Been saying it and wanted to see it tested since he signed for us basically.

One of the best attacking right sided players in the league, and we have Kelly to play at RB too, so i dont see the harm in trying it out. With the ball at his feet he's amongst the most talented players in our team. Likes to run against defenders, good one on one, cuts in well and goes out wide well. I dont see the harm in testing it, wont know until we do. By the look of things he's got everything to be a class attacking player down the right.

Johnson has not looked solid defensively for a while. Lots of questions have been labelled at him for awhile. I have been a supporter of his and think he is much better defensively than people give him credit for.

However I do think a Kelly / Johnson combination could work brilliantly defensively and going forward.

I just want to see it tried and I'm amazed we haven't seen it tried since Johnson has arrived at the club.

or we could just leave him where he is and buy a right winger?

It`s not that simple. Playing him in right midfield would not give him the spaces to attack that he gets coming from deep at right back. Playing him in midfield, will se him make more inward runs to create space for the fullback. It`s completely different.

Also the vulnerable defensively aspect. He can be defensively suspect. But so do any other attacking full backs of his kind. Alves at Barcelona. Playing for a team like Barcelona, that keeps hold of the ball almost 75% of any match covers up his defensively shortcomings. In the end it`s all about balance. Do you want a player to stay back and play it safe? Or do you want someone with the ability to create moments like today?

I agree with that you are saying.

He might struggle, then again he might thrive - we don't know until we try it.

But he did play there for Pompey and looked very good, the season before we bought him.

I'd love to see him have less defensive responsibility and be free to attack more - which he is great at doing.

or we could just leave him where he is and buy a right winger?

Might not need to buy a new winger if Johnson thrives.

Give it a try and we could save some money, like Spurs did with Bale.