You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bellamy - we're almost as good as we used to be

etho

Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy has brushed off talk of a crisis at Anfield, insisting everyone is 'very relaxed' and focused on the top four.

Three successive home draws, including being held by new-boys Norwich and Swansea, have seen Kenny Dalglish's side drop off the pace at the top of the Premier League table.

But the Wales striker insists there are no real issues at the club and nothing to worry about.

"We have slipped up a little bit in recent weeks, and this is no disrespect to Swansea, but if we have an ambition to finish in the top four, we have to win those types of games," he told the Daily Mirror.

"But we do have the players here to reach the top four and get in the Champions League again. I feel this team will get stronger and stronger as the year goes on.

"Despite the results at home, there is a great atmosphere around the place, it's very relaxed, but always with the view to getting into the Champions League next season.

"I've really enjoyed being back at Liverpool, I've enjoyed working with a quality group of players.

"Training is very intense, but very enjoyable, and there is a feeling we will improve.

"Rafa Benitez's team was very good too and very efficient.

"But I do feel this team - with Kenny's stamp on it - isn't too far off Rafa's."

Bearing in mind the team Bellamy played in was the one with him, Pennant, Crouch (at his peak) and Kuyt, who were sold to bring in Torres, which created in my opinion the only side we've had in 20 years which was as good as if not better than anyone else in the league (bar arguably with the right manager the Roy Evans team of the mid 90's if they'd not been managed by Roy Evans) that's a pretty damning indictment of where we are currently

Neither that team nor the one with Torres in it won anything, so I'm not sure what the point of any comparison is.

Silverware and pissing pots are the only point of comparison? Is Gary Neville the best right back ever? Is Ryan Giggs the best British footballer ever? Are Manure 1999 the best English football side ever?

Neither that team nor the one with Torres in it won anything, so I'm not sure what the point of any comparison is.

I assume he is saying that the team that he played in was a very good one, which it was, and that this team has a chance to be a very good one, which it has.

Trophies won, well, Birmingham won a trophy. I think Bellamy would prefer us to Birmingham, regardless.

I can't say I agree with that myself, because if you look at that Rafa team, then most of the players were better in their respective positions than the ones that play there today, apart from Enrique, Agger and possibly Johnson depending on your opinion of him. Reina, Kuyt and Gerrard aren't as good as they were that season either due to form or age, and Suarez isn't as good as Gerrard was off the striker under Rafa in that particular season in my opinion.