You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Because overall he's hardly spent anything, most of the outlay was under Ramos.

Defoe £15m

Keane £15m

Palacios £12m

Hutton £9m

Dos Santos £8.5m

Corluka £8.5m

Sandro £8.4m

Kaboul £8.2m

Bassong £8m

VDV £8m

Naughton £7m

Parker £5.5m

Pienaar £2.5m

Crouch £10m

Pretty sure that he bought all them!

Guest ShoePiss
Defoe £15m

Keane £15m

Palacios £12m

Hutton £9m

Dos Santos £8.5m

Corluka £8.5m

Sandro £8.4m

Kaboul £8.2m

Bassong £8m

VDV £8m

Naughton £7m

Parker £5.5m

Pienaar £2.5m

Crouch £10m

Pretty sure that he bought all them!

He's sold a lot so when you look at his net spend it's hardly anything, I don't think he bought all of them anyway, some of them will have been bought in summer 08 when Ramos was still there.

Defoe £15m - 3m more than Spurs had got for him 12 months earlier and that deal was complicated because Pompey was in money trouble and they still owed Spurs money for two other players that was included in the deal

Keane £15m - they had received 19m for him six months earlier and he went on to get 13 goals / 5 assists before falling out with Harry 12 months later and loaned to Celtic

Dos Santos £8.5m - almost sure that Comolli brought him to Spurs and Harry also seemed to have a problem with him.

Guest ShoePiss

Hutton

Dos Santos

Corluka

They weren't bought by Redknapp. Some of your values appear to be high too. Anyway like I said most of the spending was done under Ramos and Redknapp has sold nearly as much as he's bought.

He's sold a lot so when you look at his net spend it's hardly anything, I don't think he bought all of them anyway, some of them will have been bought in summer 08 when Ramos was still there.

Our net spend is considerably lower I think taken over the same period! If net spend is being taken into account then I don't think we should be expecting to overhaul them! And criticisms of our spending policy are moot. Plus, two of the key players that you mentioned were at the club prior to his arrival, so he shouldn't be getting any credit for them.

They have, and Arry in particular has spent a hell of a lot of money in getting them where they are. And it hasn't been concise and careful, Keane and Defoe cannot even get into the team now, Hutton came and went (edit: seems I was wrong about him Ramos bought him) and Bassong will go for a lot less then the £10 million paid for him.

After being starved of investment we are now playing catch up, to the likes of Spurs, Chelsea, United and City, and I would also argue Arsenal.

Guest ShoePiss
Defoe £15m - 3m more than Spurs had got for him 12 months earlier and that deal was complicated because Pompey was in money trouble and they still owed Spurs money for two other players that was included in the deal

Keane £15m - they had received 19m for him six months earlier and he went on to get 13 goals / 5 assists before falling out with Harry 12 months later and loaned to Celtic

Dos Santos £8.5m - almost sure that Comolli brought him to Spurs and Harry also seemed to have a problem with him.

Yeah the same with the Kaboul deal, Spurs paid under the odds for him too for the same reason.

Guest ShoePiss
Our net spend is considerably lower I think taken over the same period! If net spend is being taken into account then I don't think we should be expecting to overhaul them! And criticisms of our spending policy are moot. Plus, two of the key players that you mentioned were at the club prior to his arrival, so he shouldn't be getting any credit for them.

They have, and Arry in particular has spent a hell of a lot of money in getting them where they are. And it hasn't been concise and careful, Keane and Defoe cannot even get into the team now, Hutton came and went and Bassong will go for a lot less then the £10 million paid for him.

After being starved of investment we are now playing catch up, to the likes of Spurs, Chelsea, United and City, and I would also argue Arsenal.

Hold on a sec, why are you suggesting I think we should be ahead of them? I'm very much aware of our own situation. I've talked about it plenty on here. I was just responding to the Spurs stuff that's all mate.

Hold on a sec, why are you suggesting I think we should be ahead of them? I'm very much aware of our own situation. I've talked about it plenty on here. I was just responding to the Spurs stuff that's all mate.

Just responding to the general criticism, not you in particular! Sorry mate, I didn't mean that to read as though you personally were responsible for all the criticism of our transfers, and I am certainly not having a go, although I disagree!

I am struggling with this concept that Spurs have been financially astute in reaching the top four, they have spent a lot of money and as a team that has had one year of Champions league football. Where they are good is Levy is a fucking hard arsed negotiator.

They have also been quite savvy in downplaying their expectations and climbing the table with little pressure. The press have been too focussed on United/City or Arsenal/Chelsea to notice them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

See what you're doing, Kenny? The lack of transfer activity has left us no option but to talk about Harry 'Fahkin' Redknapp. Holy Comolli, this is a bad window.

Guest ShoePiss
Just responding to the general criticism, not you in particular! Sorry mate, I didn't mean that to read as though you personally were responsible for all the criticism of our transfers, and I am certainly not having a go, although I disagree!

I am struggling with this concept that Spurs have been financially astute in reaching the top four, they have spent a lot of money and as a team that has had one year of Champions league football. Where they are good is Levy is a fucking hard arsed negotiator.

They have also been quite savvy in downplaying their expectations and climbing the table with little pressure. The press have been too focussed on United/City or Arsenal/Chelsea to notice them.

I agree that they've taken a shot gun approach and aimed it at players £2m-£6m, the ones that don't work out are quickly forgotten and the ones that do are hailed as bargains, some of them really are.

I agree that they've taken a shot gun approach and aimed it at players £2m-£6m, the ones that don't work out are quickly forgotten and the ones that do are hailed as bargains, some of them really are.

It is quite cute, I think Wenger does something similar on his youth policy, £1million here and there on kids, and nobody notices when £10million is gone!

BBC News - London 2012: Fourth arrest over Spurs spy claims

Imagine if this was us!

Have to agree with the not being financially astute bit. Yes, they've built a great team, but most of Redknapp's signings have been about the short term. Van der Vaart doesn't look like a footballer that will carry on into his late thirties due to injuries, Adebayor will be leaving next season and they'll need to replace him or pay for him and his wages, neither option will be cheap. Parker was their other signing and he's on the wrong side of 30 and will also need replacing, signing a midfield that can replicate Parker's influence on the team will cost quite a bit in my opinion in the current market.

They've made good short term signings but they will struggle in the long term if they stick to this transfer policy.

Is Raheem Sterling anywhere near making the 1st team or Suso?, could solve a lot of problems and save us a fortune ???

Raheem Sterling has been quite poor this season (with the exception of two or three games), compared to his first 18 months at the club. I think he needs to play five or six games in a row at the same level that he showed last week. If he can do that then I think he'll probably get himself into the first team squad.

Suso is probably not as close to the first team as Sterling, but I think he'll get into the first team squad over the summer. He's not as dominant as he was a year ago (when he was the focal point of the team), but he has added a bit of strength and grit to his game. I think it is just a matter of time before he finds the right balance to his game.

stephen1martin Stephen Martin

#lfc loan deal for striker in Italian league has collapsed. Same for South American player but now pursuing a fresh deal.

15 minutes ago

Guessing that's Castaignos.

Hoilett wants first team football or move away from north west. #lfc can't agree fee with Swansea re Sinclair and Arsenal now interested too

17 minutes ago

Looks like the South American player is Texiera. Wanted him on loan first but now pursuing buy. Don't know who Serie A player is #lfc

3 minutes ago

Big chance he'll get turned down. Amazed that we're risking this unless we've done our homework and found an obscure Scottish relative.

That was what I was thinking but Arsenal got Ryo Miyaichi work permit in the summer and he doesn't seem to have that different of a record to Texeira. Also they granted work permit to 26 year old Japanese striker to join a team in Championship a couple weeks ago.