You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Looking forward to the season

Section_31

Training sessions. They don't matter. I haven't attended a friendly since the mid 90's when we played Everton and Porto and didn't have a shot on target in either game if I remember rightly. The players aren't interested.

Next week matters.

Exactly.

Pre season is about the individual, trying to prove their worth.

Nothing to worry about at all.

Good call by Section.

We might challenge the top 4, we might fall short but as long as the team plays like they did last half of the season and puts a shift in for every game then I'll be well happy.

The Premier League title feels like a devalued currency these days.

Let's be honest, the days of a team like Clough's Derby coming up and sweeping all comers away just on the quality of the football alone are well gone. Shit, I don't even think we'll get a team like Mike Walkers Norwich challenging right up to the last few weeks anymore. It's money and money alone that'll dictate if you win the title.

It's City's bottomless pit, it's Abramovich's filthy, (and I mean filthy), lucre, it's United's extra £6 million per home game, (£114 million a season more over the last twenty years or so, it adds up to fucking billions if you work it out).

We won titles when they were worth winning, we won titles when it was a level (ish) playing field, we won them when if you're team was good enough and hard enough, (Yes Leeds, I'm looking at you), you were in with a fighting chance, (pun intended).

Not any more.

This season? The fucking bean counters are the most important members of your back room staff.

United can crow about the titles they've won over the last fifteen years, but only in the same way that Westlife can fucking lord it over Paul McCartney for having more number one's than the fucking Beatles have lately. Let's all stand up and applaud them both for their recent success. Take a fucking bow lads.

So where does that leave us?

Taking a leaf out of everyone else's book, that's where. We don't make the rules but we sure as hell have to play by them. Ian Ayre and FSG seem to be doing exactly that and they should be applauded. They've put the best manager available to us in charge of the team and most importantly they've remade the vital bond between the players and the crowd.

When the photos show up in the press of Dalglish supporting our young striker, who's just left his beloved hometown club and his head must be in pieces by spending time outside the club with him, (alright, it was a fucking Boyzone gig, but I won't mention it if you don't), when he's driving Charlie Adam to the club for his medical and when he's showing up at the hospital to check on his skipper then you know the club's in the right hands. Of course, none of that matters if it's not going well on the pitch.

But it fucking is. Go ask Birmingham after they shipped five, ask Mick McCarthy if anyone scored a better goal against them than Miereles, ask Steve Bruce if anyone in that fucking stadium expected Suarez to shoot through the keeper. Shit, ask any one of the six United players that Suarez skipped round if they think we're fucked without Torres.

Off the pitch we're in good shape, on the pitch we're in the best shape we've been in in fucking ages and in the dugout we couldn't be doing much better in my opinion and the people in charge have showed themselves to be honourable and willing to invest sensibly and support the manager.

I'm with Section on this. I'm genuinely looking forward to the coming season although of course that's tempered by a healthy dose of knowing just how fucking chaotic and insane football can be, but we're seemingly in good shape.

We haven't just lost a player of Alonso's ability, we haven't got a pair of cowardly, duplicitous fucking leeches in charge, there's apparently no financial hand grenade primed to explode in our fucking faces at any second and we've got a manager who we can fucking believe in. Only six months ago, if somebody would've said that we'd be in this position we'd have snatched their fucking hands off.

So yeah, I reckon you can say I'm looking forward to the new season.

One of the best posts on here in ages. Rep this man.

Training sessions. They don't matter. I haven't attended a friendly since the mid 90's when we played Everton and Porto and didn't have a shot on target in either game if I remember rightly. The players aren't interested.

Next week matters.

Also very true.

Next week matters.

It's not their lack of interest that bothers me, as I understand the concern of getting injured etc. It's more the fact that some of the players looked blatantly unfit (Johnson, Adam, Carra and Henderson in particular were shockingly poor), and it wasn't because of lack of effort from what I could see. Johnson was only a couple of yards away from where I sat, and he was given the runaround by a nomark winger from Norwegian Tippeliga. Adam made Henchoz and Carra look unaffected, you could practically hear him heaving and panting as he was chasing shadows.

I have attended these friendlies since we started playing against RBK in the mid-90s, and I think this is the poorest shape I've seen us in at this stage of preseason. That's why I'm concerned. I also believe (like Fugitive, correct me if I'm wrong) that there's a correlation( sp?) between the results and performances in preseason and the form early on in the season. I fear we may have put too much focus on the off-the-field aspect of this preseason and too little on the on-field...

We'll have to see I guess... Let's pray for a good start!

Ps! Not trying to be controversial or destroy the good spirit. Just hope that everyone's ready for a bumpy ride the first few games, as I can see us needing both time and a bit of luck to get going. Won't be shocked by a couple of losses in the first few games for instance. I've no doubt that we'll eventually come good though!

It's not their lack of interest that bothers me, as I understand the concern of getting injured etc. It's more the fact that some of the players looked blatantly unfit (Johnson, Adam, Carra and Henderson in particular were shockingly poor), and it wasn't because of lack of effort from what I could see. Johnson was only a couple of yards away from where I sat, and he was given the runaround by a nomark winger from Norwegian Tippeliga. Adam made Henchoz and Carra look unaffected, you could practically hear him heaving and panting as he was chasing shadows.

I have attended these friendlies since we started playing against RBK in the mid-90s, and I think this is the poorest shape I've seen us in at this stage of preseason. That's why I'm concerned. I also believe (like Fugitive, correct me if I'm wrong) that there's a correlation( sp?) between the results and performances in preseason and the form early on in the season. I fear we may have put too much focus on the off-the-field aspect of this preseason and too little on the on-field...

We'll have to see I guess... Let's pray for a good start!

Ps! Not trying to be controversial or destroy the good spirit. Just hope that everyone's ready for a bumpy ride the first few games, as I can see us needing both time and a bit of luck to get going. Won't be shocked by a couple of losses in the first few games for instance. I've no doubt that we'll eventually come good though!

I accept all of that. But what is missing in pre-season friendlies and won't be missing next week is adrenalin and the fight for a place in the starting 11.

I remember watching a Liverpool game away at Wimbledon in the late 80's. Kenny was stood on the touchline leaning against the dug out as usual. Beardsley made a sloppy pass in an otherwise great performance. Kenny moved to the touchline and shouted "Eh, Beardo. You'll be in on Monday".

Kenny demands the effort when it matters, shirkers need not apply.

Just so glad we have Kenny back where he belongs. No passengers, plenty of competition for places, decent owners and a positive vibe around the place. Don't write us off we can still have a crack at the title, especially if we strengthen in January and some of the other teams have bad luck with injuries. Team spirit counts for a hell of a lot and we have that this year. Some great posts in this thread. LOVE IT !!

I always look forward to the new season with Liverpool. It's been boring as hell without the footie. My spirits have been a bit dampened with Gerrard not being fit... and maybe a few pricey signings which have left me underwhelmed... but still excited about next season.

Not worried about pre season plenty of our best campaigns have been preceeded by shite pre seasons and plenty of our worst by good pre seasons. Micheal Stensgaard was ace in pre season before he beat himself to death with an ironing board.

Just looking forward to no Roy, a team playing for each other and I rule nothing out or in in terms of expectation I dont need any I can live happily in the moment with Ken.

I'm getting sucked in deeper and deeper with the positive feel about the club.

Add a left back and centre back by the end of the window and I'll be fucking made up. That way no one (bar another attacking player) could whinge like a bitch.

I'll put pound notes on every single signing we make this summer not being my first choice, but as long as it's Kenny's and he's happy with them lets tear up some shit.

Stewart Downing sees good times ahead for Liverpool in Premier League

• New signing believes club can qualify for Champions League

• Excited about playing with Andy Carroll and Luis Suárez

reddit this

Jamie Jackson

guardian.co.uk, Friday 5 August 2011 22.30 BST

Article history

Stewart Downing says there is a buzz around the Liverpool club. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Action Images

Stewart Downing believes Liverpool can make the Champions League qualifying spots this season, after two years of not reaching the competition. Downing said: "There is a buzz back around the place, the owners have invested in the team and I just feel this club is going to go up another level again. I think I can make the step up, I am really pleased to be here and hopefully I can be part of a successful team."

The 27-year-old cost £20m from Aston Villa this summer yet, despite his price, the winger does not believe Kenny Dalglish will automatically select him. "I don't think the fact that Liverpool have paid the money for me will mean anything to Kenny," he said. "That won't influence his thinking. He sees a player he wants in a position and he isn't bothered about price tags. If you don't perform, you won't be in the team regardless of whether you cost £20m, £15m, or not. His job is to get the best out of his team and, if someone is not performing, he is going to bring in someone else to take their place.

"I'm not relying on my price tag and I'm not thinking: 'Well, he bought me, so I should get in the team.' If you go down that route, then you will soon be out the team. I know I have to work hard and signing for Liverpool is just the start for me. It's not the end. But I am ready to fight and work hard and repay people's faith. I want that challenge."

Downing is also clear that he will not alter his style. "The manager has seen something in my past performances that he liked and, if I can start on that standard again and push on, then that will hopefully be OK. I don't see why I should change my game at all because of how much I cost. I have not really spoken to Kenny about what position I am going to be playing in. I have played left and right since I arrived. With the amount of players we have here we can play with wide men or stick to a narrower system. I hope I can fit into either."

Downing is excited about playing with Luis Suárez and Andy Carroll and trying to supply them with crosses. "I have played a few games with him [Carroll] with England and in pre-season and I know his strengths. If you get the ball in the box, then nine times out of 10 he will get on the end of it. He is a big target. I have seen a bit of Suárez in the Copa América [for Uruguay] and he was brilliant. He and Carroll will suit each other and there is Dirk [Kuyt] as well who can play up top. If we work at it, then we can strike up a few good partnerships."

Good call by Section.

United can crow about the titles they've won over the last fifteen years, but only in the same way that Westlife can fucking lord it over Paul McCartney for having more number one's than the fucking Beatles have lately.

Quality.