You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First World Cup

Sugar Ape

It must have been Ireland v Mexico as both games were in Orlando

Yep, Norway, Italy, Ireland and Mexico were in the group together and all teams finished on 4 points and Norway were the only team to not qualify from the group as Italy went through as one of the four best 3rd placed teams.

Then Ireland lost to Holland the next round I think.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Didn't Norway play all their games in New Jersey?

Not sure where they played, but think it was two different places, all I remember is that I dont think it was really football stadiums.

Edit- One game at Robert F Kennedy Memorial stadium in Washington and two games Giants stadium in New Jersey.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Spain '82 - forever remembered for N.Ireland beating the hosts, Englands quick goal against France (I was in a pub with drinking coke and munching crisps while my old man was playing a 5-a side tournament outside), Schumacher's attempted murder on Batiston and Marco Tardelli scoring a goal in the world cup final and doing that brilliant celebration.

I had a boss wall chart too and remembered being fascinated by countries  like El Salvador , Honduras and Kuwait that I never heard of before.

The World Cup is ace.

Mexico 70 - Banks save from Pele, Jairzinho goal and a bad miss from Jeff Astle (which is never mentioned). Possibly the greatest team ever to grace a football pitch and we nearly matched them. The disaster against Germany and the most one-sided final I have ever seen with one of the greatest ever goals by Carlos Alberto. Had that sticker book for decades but don't know where it is now. Don't remember 66 at all even though I would have been nearly 8 yo.

Lots of great memories from many world cups since and hope for a few more next summer.

1978. Mario Kempes. Remember watching the final with large family gathering at our house and being the only that wanted Argentina to win. That competition was almost certainly rigged in Argentina's favor but I wasn't to know that at the time.

Cubilas' goal v Scotland - I loved that Peru kit.  To the extent that, when I was coaching a youth team 3 years ago, I ensured that our new kit for that season included a red diagonal stripe in its honor.

1978. Mario Kempes. Remember watching the final with large family gathering at our house and being the only person present that wanted Argentina to win. That competition was almost certainly rigged in Argentina's favor but I wasn't to know that at the time.

Cubilas' goal v Scotland - I loved that Peru kit.  To the extent that, when I was coaching a youth team 3 years ago, I ensured that our new kit for that season included a red diagonal stripe in its honor.