You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top Ten Overrated players

18-5

58 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

Mmmm....I kind of agree....Noel Gallagher raving about Silva a few years back - the passes "he saw"...let him sleep with my wife crap....the greatest player he's ever seen etc...such utter tosh for attention and all knowledgeable! 

Silva great player etc, but when the Spanish public look back over their success in the last 15-20 years, his name will be not be anonymous...but will be a long way down the list!

This article is a case in point.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/sports/manchester-city-liverpool-david-silva.html

The author suggests because of his longevity he should be in the conversation re the best PL import ever. What utter rubbish. 1) He’s penalising Suarez, Ronaldo for being too good for the league at their peak 2) He’s never even been the best player in his own team.

26 minutes ago, dave u said:

Agree about David Silva. Lovely little player, great touch and vision, but give me a choice of which players from City I would have liked to see playing for us (in their prime) and he's not even close to Aguero, De Bruyne and even Sane.

I think Silva has achieved more than De Bruyne.

Speaking of whom, he might be the answer...

Just now, Josef Svejk said:

I think Silva has achieved more than De Bruyne.

Speaking of whom, he might be the answer...

He's achieved more because he's been around longer. In terms of who I'd rather have in our midfield, I'm taking a 25 year old De Bruyne over a 25 year old Silva all day every day.

Just now, Josef Svejk said:

Not that De Bruyne is bad, obviously. But what the fuck has he actually done relative to his recent reputation?

Arguably the best player in the league last season. Mo's phenomenal goal return edged De Bruyne out of the individual awards, but there wasn't much in it. 

Looks like he might have dodgy knees though, which is a shame for him but good news for us.

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Last season. One season. In the most expensive English team ever assembled.

And he's ginger.

The longevity thing is valid, I can't argue with you there. Silva has been very good for a long time. De Bruyne has to do it for longer, but in terms of who I'd rather have I'm still taking the pre-knee trouble De Bruyne.

And I'd probably take Sane over both!

Anyone remember Kerlon? He of the 'seal dribble' which involved running at defenders while bouncing the ball on his head before inevitably getting clattered for being a cunt? I remember loads of twats wanting him to sign for their club, ours included, based on little more than about a minute of Youtube footage showing all the above, and absolutely zero end product.

Also, Robinho. When he first burst onto the scene at Santos, he looked raw but full of potential. Then he cry-arsed himself a move to Real Madrid and often flattered to deceive despite posting a reasonable goal total. Then he cry-arsed himself a move to Manchester and, no matter what anyone says, he must have thought he was going to the red half rather than the newly oil-rich blue half. He phoned in most of his matches, took the mega money and cried off injured for the rest of the time before the club flogged him to Milan. Robinho was the original flaky cry-arsing Brazilian before they turned it into their official national pastime in 2014.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

De Bruyne has had one good season in his career, I reckon.

Err no. His last season in the Bundesliga he was the best player in the league by an absolute country mile and got 10 goals and 20 assists in the league alone.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boss said:

He's one of these players that always gets high ratings on whoscored, even though he's crap whenever you watch him. Alberto Moreno is another one like that. Very odd. 

That's because the most important thing as a defender is to be psychologically stable and not have any major flaws the opponent can target like one-footedness or an inability to leave your box as a keeper.

10 minutes ago, Hand Shandy said:

Silva has 125 caps for Spain in a period where, you know, they've been pretty good...

He’s a good footballer, just as Paul Scholes was a good player. But people now are talking about him as probably PL import of all time. 

The class of 92...

Giggs and Scholes top players in fairness..

Beckham made most of his ability...

Gary Neville - a prick of highest order and not a patch on some of other FBs in PL but fawned upon by so many...Denis Irwin miles ahead for one at Utd alone and Mr cryalot Evra

Phil Neville and Nicky Butt....i'd nearly take Moreno instead of both

That class of 92 were a success due to likes of Keane, Cantona, Hughes, Schmeichel to name but a few...cant stand them...

2 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

The class of 92...

Giggs and Scholes top players in fairness..

Beckham made most of his ability...

Gary Neville - a prick of highest order and not a patch on some of other FBs in PL but fawned upon by so many...Denis Irwin miles ahead for one at Utd alone and Mr cryalot Evra

Phil Neville and Nicky Butt....i'd nearly take Moreno instead of both

That class of 92 were a success due to likes of Keane, Cantona, Hughes, Schmeichel to name but a few...cant stand them...

You’re gonna hate me for this, but Roy Keane. He was a very good player, but not as good as Gerrard or Vieira.

Every single player to come through the Man Utd youth system and into the first team squad since the fabled class of 92. Some absolute dross like John Curtis, Luke Chadwick, Kieron Richardson, Federico Macheda, Tom Cleverley and Rodrigo Possebon all got hyped up as the next big thing simply because they were at that club. Then there are those who were in that youth team group with Pogba where the hype was taken to the next level, such as Adnan Januzaj and Ravel Morrison.