You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I know I know...am about to face the same myself...you seem to have got to the end of the road with your current job, though, so the only way to look at the interview stage is short term for long term gain???

I would never admit as much on a public forum. I do however see the benefit of just playing the game in order to get ahead.

I love interviews - always have. I don't really know why people dread them. If you can't talk for an hour about yourself, what else are you going to be an expert on?

As for the curve-ball questions, just treat them like you would if someone asked you on here or down the pub - minus the references to cunts,etc.

If you could be a superhero, which one and why?

Spider-man. Four recent big budget movies and merchandising rights - kerfuckingching without even having to spin a web.

Remember kids - more often than not the interviewer is just some blert who does the job - he's about as experienced in interviewing as you are at being interviewed.

Noos top tip for interviews: Do your homework on the company, and have plenty of questions of your own prepared. If you're asking the questions, they're doing the talking, which means you can't fuck it up. It also shows you're interested enough in the job to have done your homework. Ask them questions about the company (especially if you know the answer they're going to give already, as you can prepare your response to theirs, and get a bit of a conversation/rapport going. Ask about them (the interviewer), how long they've been there, what level they came in at, what's the next step for them, where do they see themselves in 5 years time,etc.

Noos 2nd to top tip: Unless you're a practiced interviewer/interviewee, don't try and wing it. For every shortlist of interviewees of say 6 people, I guarantee 4 will try to wing it, and 2 will prepare properly. Guaranteed. If you're one of the 4, you're wasting your time going. If you're one of the 2, you've just shortened the odds considerably in your favour.

If anyone has an interview coming up, and there's a question they're dreading, or they need some tips, whack it up here, and I'll see if I can help out.

I have been through the job specification and worked out how it aligns to what I do, just got to read up a little more on the company. Might practice some interview questions with the girlfriend. I think that is enough preparation.

So you've done pretty much what everyone else who's going will have done.

You can never do enough prep mate. The more you do, the better your chances. Depends how much you want the job.

Top tip number 3: Don't just read up on the company - read up on the sector and the current issues/challenges facing the sector. A quick way is often to check out the bit of the company website that most people skip - the "latest news" bit. A decent size company will often have a news bit on their website which is usually more of a vehicle for them to boast about the company's recent achievements. Managers love to talk about achievements.

Flitting through the company homepage is really not even the bare minimum preparation. I once had a meeting with the UK Finance Director of Carlsberg Tetley who told me that he had a guy sat in front of him who when asked what he knew about the company, said "Well I know you brew Carlsberg and Tetleys", to which he replied that there are people sat in small bars in villages in Mexico who know that much and they're not asking him for £25,000 a year.

Seriously, I would so far as to say that provided it's a level playing field and you have no obvious personality issues, the candidate that prepares best will get the job in 90% of cases.

Top tip number 4: Know your CV off by heart inside out. Anyone that I interview who has to keep referring to their CV when I ask them something about it is not going to be finishing the coffee they get at the start of the interview.

Top tip number 5: Arrive no more or less than 10 minutes before your interview is scheduled. Arriving too early is as bad as arriving late. Firm handshake, eye contact, and small talk. Get the ice-breaker in quickly before you get that awkward silence. Anything will do. "Nice offices - you been based here long?", "Parking's at a bit of a premium round here isn't it!", "traffic was a bit of a nightmare, does it take you long to get in on a morning?"

Interviews are won and lost on this sort of stuff, not on how you answer the odd questions.

• Upvote 1

If you are at an interview and you get one of those curve-ball questions like "If you were a superhero, which one would you be?" you can probably assume that the company is shit, the job's pointless and the interviewer is a fucking moron.

You could answer "I'd be Captain Cuntswerver. Bye"

I know the interviewers in our place look for you to demonstrate a decent example of service regarding Customer (handling a complaint etc) Colleague (training someone how to do something) and Change (a suggestion to a process that you've made that has been implemented).

Get them 3 right and you're virtually nailed on for a job with us. Anything that can save them money in the current environment by reducing compensation payments, trainers or wasting time is what they want.

If anyone has an interview coming up, and there's a question they're dreading, or they need some tips, whack it up here, and I'll see if I can help out.

Two questions that I don't know how to handle;

1 - What is your weakness

2 - Where do you see yourself in 5 years

Any tips?

Two questions that I don't know how to handle;

1 - What is your weakness

2 - Where do you see yourself in 5 years

Any tips?

1. What is your weakness?

There's a few ways of dealing with this.

a. make sure you know what they're looking for and pick a weakness that is not really relevant to them.

b. as above, but pick a weakness that is not going to impact too much on what they want you to do. For example, if they're looking for a salesman, great sales skills will far outweigh poor admin skills,etc

c. my preferred option is turn your weakness into a strength. One I've used before is that sometimes when I start a job I can maybe ask too many questions, which might get on someone's nerves. This is because I like to understand fully what I'm doing and why.

2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Depends on the role you are going for. Often, especially with the big companies, they will have advertised the role as offering progression either up the ladder or into other areas. I would answer this question thus:

I'm a hard worker with high standards. I push myself to be the best I can be at whatever I do. I'm dedicated and loyal. I've heard this company recognises those sorts of qualities in an employee and I assume they reward them? If so, then where I'll be in 5 years will be down to you! So, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you - where could I be in 5 years time?

I find out today as I was the second to last to be interviewed. Everything seemed to have went well and I followed the advice on the forum. It was just an informal chat today, no silly questions and straightforward in what they wanted to know. Whether I get the job or not, I am glad of the way it was conducted.

A friend of mine is doing recruitment for some part time roles at their place and it is interviews and roleplays for predominately shite roles.

1. What is your weakness?

There's a few ways of dealing with this.

a. make sure you know what they're looking for and pick a weakness that is not really relevant to them.

b. as above, but pick a weakness that is not going to impact too much on what they want you to do. For example, if they're looking for a salesman, great sales skills will far outweigh poor admin skills,etc

c. my preferred option is turn your weakness into a strength. One I've used before is that sometimes when I start a job I can maybe ask too many questions, which might get on someone's nerves. This is because I like to understand fully what I'm doing and why.

2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Depends on the role you are going for. Often, especially with the big companies, they will have advertised the role as offering progression either up the ladder or into other areas. I would answer this question thus:

I'm a hard worker with high standards. I push myself to be the best I can be at whatever I do. I'm dedicated and loyal. I've heard this company recognises those sorts of qualities in an employee and I assume they reward them? If so, then where I'll be in 5 years will be down to you! So, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you - where could I be in 5 years time?

Great man thanks, I'll use the C option for weakness question. For the 5 years question however, I don't have enough confidence to do that. I can imagine them giving me the look if I say that.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Noos, do you have any tips on what fashion should be worn for the following roles, here are my examples.

1. Grunt (cleaner).

2. Semi-important grunt (head cleaner).

3. Important grunt (manager).

4. Very improtant grunt (area manager).

5. Super grunt (director).

I have heard it's best to dress as if you were in the role above what you are applying for, i.e. if you end up wearing jeans in your job, then go to the interview wearing trousers+shirt but no tie. Your advice would be appreciated.