You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These 'spontaneous' Egypt uprisings.

Section_31

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't Chavez brought a lot of good things in that mean his peoples get a better deal from the government than in the past?

Er, well the murder rate has quadrupled since he came to power, and oil production has fallen by a quarter. I suppose it depends what you want from a country, really.

However, it's not really the topic of the thread.

Er' date=' well the murder rate has quadrupled since he came to power, and oil production has fallen by a quarter. I suppose it depends what you want from a country, really.

However, it's not really the topic of the thread.[/quote']

According to whose figures though?

Oil production for whom though? If venezuela has enough then why worry about others?

Id worry more about the pensioners and sick on our own doorstep dying through fear of turning on their heating.

As for Chavez,if the US hate him he must be doing something right.

According to whose figures though?

Er, Venezuela's, who else produces murder stats for Venezuela?

Oil production for whom though? If venezuela has enough then why worry about others?

It's quite important when your entire economy is based on selling oil on the international market to fund all your social programmes. Production slumped because he nationalised the lot and booted out all the foreign companies, when a more sensible and less ideological solution would have been to just tax the shit out of them.

As for Chavez,if the US hate him he must be doing something right.

Yeah, that does seem to be the "logic" used by his supporters here. Classic enemy of my enemy fallacy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The murder rate has doubled since he came into power, are you suggesting it's because of him? After all, he initiated a 3000 strong military force to assist with police in areas of hight murder rates, created a new security agency, banned private ownership of guns, and much more besides. There's several factors in rising murder rates in Venezuela. To imply Chavez is is some how responsible for it is misleading.

Strangely you didn't mention incredible reductions in poverty, infant mortality, and unemployment. These things matter too.

Er, well the murder rate has quadrupled since he came to power, and oil production has fallen by a quarter. I suppose it depends what you want from a country, really.

So he now has 75% of the oil revenue from the production levels from when he came in.

Are you claiming that keeping the oil companies in there and taxing them to a level where you're getting 75% of production (not of their profit) is a better and achievable policy?

I think one of us is missing something here. I don't think it's me.

I think you are missing that revenue is not the same as profit. Oil isn't easy to get out of the ground. It's all very well saying that now you're getting 75 of the 100 all to yourself, but if it costs 70 of the 100 to get it out of the ground, then "profit" has come down from 30 to 5.

Right, so the Missuis is flapping about flying out to Sharm el Sheikh in the coming days so I need the GF's opinion (as she's threatening not to come with me)

What are our chances of survival people? Shall we fuck the whole thing off and go to Butlins?

I've had a look at the reports and everything looks to be contained up north so I'm not worrying but she's freaking out big time.

I probably shouldn't have made a joke about it as she's left me waking home in the freezing cold from town. Fun times.

Help a bother out.

I think you are missing that revenue is not the same as profit. Oil isn't easy to get out of the ground. It's all very well saying that now you're getting 75 of the 100 all to yourself, but if it costs 70 of the 100 to get it out of the ground, then "profit" has come down from 30 to 5.

Well you weren't saying that it was a cost issue, you were saying volume was the issue.

I'd imagine that efficiency probably has gone down. I'd imagine the amount going into the coffers to spend on massively improving healthcare, education and povery reduction has almost certainly increased. It's funny how easy it is to not make a profit and not get taxed on it, just ask google.

The volume issue is a false issue really. Saudi Arabia tells you how many barrels you can pump. Pump any more and they punish you by turning the taps on full and dropping the global price. Venezuela learnt that lesson the hard way a few years back.

I doubt highly that it wasn't hugely financially beneficial to make the decision. I rather think it's the renationalisation of their resources to be used for their own people that you had an issue with.

Right, so the Missuis is flapping about flying out to Sharm el Sheikh in the coming days so I need the GF's opinion (as she's threatening not to come with me)

What are our chances of survival people? Shall we fuck the whole thing off and go to Butlins?

I've had a look at the reports and everything looks to be contained up north so I'm not worrying but she's freaking out big time.

I probably shouldn't have made a joke about it as she's left me waking home in the freezing cold from town. Fun times.

Help a bother out.

I do quite a lot of work in Egypt and travel there over the last couple of years has been largely ok. As far as I know Sharm El Sheikh's always been fine. The risk is if the referendum coincides wth the time when you're travelling. One thing I can say for definite is that the weather will be better than Butlins.

That's the problem with the likes of SD and Hitler, they act as if there's nothing wrong with cherry picking their examples to try and demonise people.

To clarify, many democratically elected parties/rulers have "ruled by decree" on many occasions recently, which makes an awful lot of dictators. You chose to pick Chavez and Hitler. For obvious reasons.

And given that ruling by decree and dictator are both objective terms is isn't factual really, it's opinon.

All out of Rep. See that^^^. That's right, that is.

Shithouse.

You wade into a thread on Egypt calling the President of Venezuela a Hitler-esque dictator, then when you get your arse handed to you suddenly "it's not really the topic of the thread".

Sack up or shut up.

You wade into a thread on Egypt calling the President of Venezuela a Hitler-esque dictator

Except for the fact that I didn't, I said he'd passed an enabling act to enable him to autocratically rule by decree, which he has done twice in the past. That's just a fact.

then when you get your arse handed to you suddenly "it's not really the topic of the thread"

I don't remember that happening either.

I think some people see what they want to. There's no arguing with them when they're in this kind of mood.

Right' date=' so the Missuis is flapping about flying out to Sharm el Sheikh in the coming days so I need the GF's opinion (as she's threatening not to come with me)

Help a bother out.[/quote']

My mum and dad went earlier in the year when there was a little bit of 'trouble' and it was perfectly fine, they said the local people were devastated that tourists were staying away and urged them to tell everyone it was fine and to get over there spending their cash.

I'd deffo go, JNP.

Except for the fact that I didn't, I said he'd passed an enabling act to enable him to autocratically rule by decree, which he has done twice in the past. That's just a fact.

As many other nations do. You picked one and bracketed him with Hitler.

Given that most nations allow the leader to rule by decree in a state of emergency what exactly made you plump for Venezuela? Is this the same as the time you went a bit daft with the "He's trying to stay in power for ever like a dictator and that!!" when he wanted to extend the amount of terms someone can run for...you know, like over here?

Just so you know, the US has officially been in a state of emergency for over a decade. So the president can "rule by decree" and set up camps to torture people without running by too many people.

Silly man.

As many other nations do. You picked one and bracketed him with Hitler.

I picked the only two who sprang to mind!

Like I asked previously, what more obvious examples of enabling acts did I miss? Why won't you name them?

I know you think I'm trying to make some point about Chavez=Hitler olololol, but frankly I don't give enough of a shit about Venezuela, Chavez is a self-limiting condition, and if people are stupid enough to elect him, good luck to them.