You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spearing/Poulsen

Bert

That's two games in which these two have played against Napoli now.

Two games which have proven that the purchase of Poulsen was a complete waste of money. Spearing is a better passer, a better tackler, and most importantly more mobile. He is also a better character, demanding the ball and talking others through the game.

Spearing is far from a great player, but he has the potential to be a decent player for us. Poulsen offers absolutely nothing.

There is nothing that frustrates me more than signing average players which stop the potential talents breaking through from our youth team.

Just like El Zhar being preferred to Hammill who is showing some real class right now.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's two games in which these two have played against Napoli now.

Two games which have proven that the purchase of Poulsen was a complete waste of money. Spearing is a better passer, a better tackler, and most importantly more mobile. He is also a better character, demanding the ball and talking others through the game.

Spearing is far from a great player, but he has the potential to be a decent player for us. Poulsen offers absolutely nothing.

There is nothing that frustrates me more than signing average players which stop the potential talents breaking through from our youth team.

Just like El Zhar being preferred to Hammill who is showing some real class right now.

You know what? I thought the exact thing tonight. After tonight's performance I do think that Spearing deserves a place in the squad. I wrote recently that it might be time for him to move on. I now think he should get opportunity's before Poulsen.

They're very different players. Spearing has the reputation of being a bit of a bulldog but I think that's more to do with his appearance and tenacity than his fundamental qualities. Poulsen was brought to break up play, which is the kind of player he is. I don't think Spearing will ever principally be that kind of player, at least not at the top level. He doesn't read the game well enough yet and I'm not sure he's fast enough into the tackle. But he is better than Poulsen.

On the whole, in fact, he offers much more than the Dane. Personally, I rate the kid. He has a great attitude, an eye for a pass, and good technique. The most impressive thing about him, in my opinion, is how eager he is for the ball. Given the amount of pressure involved in making the step-up from the ressies, I think it speaks of a huge strength of character that he seeks out that responsibility.

Far rather see him alongside Lucas or Meireles than I would Poulsen. He's a good player and it's nice that he's been given a chance to show what he can do.

Apart from a lack of pace, lack of positive contribution and a seeming lack of positional sense, the most galling thing about having Poulsen on the pitch is that ALL our opponents can play through our midfield and get at the defence in no time at all. He doesn't stay with the runners and he doesn't cover the sort of strikers who like to drop deep such as Tevez or Lavezzi. His presence just gives the opposition an incentive to attack us, and totally ruins any chance of us having any cohesion in our play. He's not winding opponents up either. Back in his Schalke and Sevilla days he had several run-ins with opposing players. I'm think of when he caused Totti to gob at him during Euro 2004.

It begs the question. Just what is his purpose in the squad, when we look better with any combination that doesn't include him?

the thing with Poulsen is certain "fans" have been desperate for him to fail from the begining and haven't stopped moaning about him, I thought the stick he got first few games was harsh and he did an okay job but Lucas and Spearing are both outperforming him and should be ahead of him

It's like when you'd buy a player on Pro Evo who's in his final season and you've simply bought him because he's a big name. Who's just totally useless.

He's not even a big name, he's got no pace, can't tackle, pass or shoot. He's just a waste of 4 million and an embarassment to the shirt.

Amazing Spurs paid 8m for R. VDV, on that basis Poulsen is half the player Rafa is, he'd be lucky to even be quarter the player Van der Vaart is. Shocking business.

Fucking Roy.

Guest PurpleNose

Gerrard, Lucas, Meireles, Spearing, Shelvey, and Pacheco is enough to fill the three central midfield roles throughout the season.

Could have spent the £4m/£5m on Beausejour.

the thing which impressed about spearing tonight was that he was still looking for the ball in midfield after he had over hit a few forward passes (some players over the years have gone into hiding when this has happened), as well as some class edge of the box tackles in the second half. poulsons' problem is that he is hodgsons' Jean-Michel Ferri, im sure there were a few cheers/jeers when he was take off....?

Guest PurpleNose
Or not buy Konchesky and purchase Van Der Vaart.

But I guess he didn't 'fit us'. Fucking old twat.

Not buy Konchesky and Jones. Sell Babel. Sign Van Der Vaart, Beausejour and Azuriz.

Here's hoping Ravioli sorts shit out in January.

I think Spearing shows quality, but im not sure he'll be a long term player for us unless he really fights his way through and is happy with a bit part role for a while.

Agreed but there is nothing wrong with that. I would ba happy with Jay playing 15-20 games a season.

Whilst we have produced world class players like Gerrard, Fowler, McManaman, Carragher (I know some will dispute Carra as world class but for a while he was one of the world's best centre halves), there is nothing wrong with the academy also producing squad players.

The joke of it is that the purpose behind the academy is that it saves the club money by producing our own players but we then still spend money filling our squad up with the likes of Poulsen, Degen, El Zhar when we could have used academy players like Spearing, Kelly, Hammill..

It's like when you'd buy a player on Pro Evo who's in his final season and you've simply bought him because he's a big name. Who's just totally useless.

He's not even a big name, he's got no pace, can't tackle, pass or shoot. He's just a waste of 4 million and an embarassment to the shirt.

Amazing Spurs paid 8m for R. VDV, on that basis Poulsen is half the player Rafa is, he'd be lucky to even be quarter the player Van der Vaart is. Shocking business.

Fucking Roy.

That is pretty galling seeing as Van set Vaart has been fantastic so far. Poulsen and Brad Jones were totally unnecessary signings yet they somehow fit the profile more than VdV.

Both of them need moving on IMO, with Spearing's only chance of hanging around being that he's a British lad and one for the new quota.

Jay's a good lad and has a lot of heart but, talent-wise, I've yet to see anything which suggests he could be anything but a squad filler.

Both of them need moving on IMO, with Spearing's only chance of hanging around being that he's a British lad and one for the new quota.

Jay's a good lad and has a lot of heart but, talent-wise, I've yet to see anything which suggests he could be anything but a squad filler.

I would agree with that. While

Spearing should clearly be in front of poulsen, I don't think he has what it takes to be a top premier league player. But let's be fair, the lad has never had a run of games. I'd like to see him included in the match day 18 until the end of the season and see where it takes him. Poulsen on the other hand you just know is going to become one of those unflushable turds we seem so good at collecting.

Fucking Roy.

Nothing like the nonsense application of maths to football to brighten up a Friday morning.