You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi, Ronaldo & La Liga

Salou

Does that mean he's free in the area from midfield to central attack, then Villa has to push out? Never heard of that before that's all.

He basically plays the number 9 role as a number 10, mate. Hence the false 9 term. He is the number 9 for their side but certainly isn't asked to play like one. It's then with Pedro and Villa as kinda inside forwards.

It is a very weird setup but given the players they have in that side, I think they could make numerous systems work.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He basically plays the number 9 role as a number 10, mate. Hence the false 9 term. He is the number 9 for their side but certainly isn't asked to play like one. It's then with Pedro and Villa as kinda inside forwards.

It is a very weird setup but given the players they have in that side, I think they could make numerous systems work.

Ah ok, cheers. Wouldn't mind them swapping around a bit so Messi goes right and Villa is back in the center, but with Messi's goal count it doesn't really matter, obviously.

Ah ok, cheers. Wouldn't mind them swapping around a bit so Messi goes right and Villa is back in the center, but with Messi's goal count it doesn't really matter, obviously.

I like how Barcelona approach it because they've basically decided that Messi is their best player and are playing him in the role that suits his game the best.

Argentina could take a idea or two from that.

if you watch them regularly you will often see messi going out to the right and villa going middle with others covering the left side in behind. messi really just has a very free role due to his ability and awareness. after watching them for a long time i can see they have contingency plans for the movement of what often becomes 2 centre forwards

I like how Barcelona approach it because they've basically decided that Messi is their best player and are playing him in the role that suits his game the best.

Argentina could take a idea or two from that.

yep thats true, its pretty much that he is the most versatile and as good in so many different areas of the oppositions half. agree that argentina are a team that could easily adapt the same approach with messi. i can see that working well for them too with the squad they have to select from too.

Real Madrid reserves are just caning the 3rd best team in Spain on their own patch

La liga is a joke

I can assure you this is the worst defensive performance I have seen from Valencia since around 2007. I'm sure Madrid wouldn't have expected it to be this scoreline, if Valencia's defence had turned up then I actually would have fancied them beating Madrid. However, they've been hit on the counter attack with around 2 at the back against 4 - it's been total suicide from Valencia.