You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Archery

Guido

Any archers on here? Just started an introductory course and it frickin rules. Almost definitely going to take it up cos i'm ace at it and it's quite geeky with all the minute detail they go into about draw weights and velocity and other such wank. I likes it!

Any archers on here? Just started an introductory course and it frickin rules. Almost definitely going to take it up cos i'm ace at it and it's quite geeky with all the minute detail they go into about draw weights and velocity and other such wank. I likes it!

Archery like a simple bow, arrows and a target or the bollocks with the sights and bits sticking off the bow like the commonwealth games?

I've practised Kyudo, Japanese archery, for about 19 years now. This is the video from the opening ceremony at a seminar in Japan recently to give you an idea what it's about. Normal week-in week-out practices obviously don't have these lengthy ceremonies, we do a shorter version in groups instead.

[YOUTUBE]zjfwUHWoOx4[/YOUTUBE]

I'm contemplating having a go at archery at the moment (compound bow). Not cheap once you get into it by the looks of things. I've had a read up on it though, had no idea that it was so involved (as Guido mentions) with draw weights, draw lengths etc. You even have to establish your dominant eye, which is not necessarily on the same side as your dominant hand, apparently.

Bowhunting for sport is still practised down here (New Zealand), not sure if I fancy that though. I'm a bit too much of a wuss to go sticking an arrow in a deer or something.

l19red - I'm doing recurve rather than compound. Compound seems like cheating by my book and takes half the skill out of it. May as well use a crossbow or just point at things with your finger. I'm probably very wrong though.

Cardie - Yep, commonwealth Games type job with all the shit sticking out like you're Robocop 27. That big pole sticking out the front/sides that you often see is just a stabiliser, so not really that complex reagrding the big parts, but they get very scientific about the tiny details.

Hudu - establishing your dominant eye takes about 2 seconds, so you can start up pretty quickly. Not cheap, as you say, but i've been checking out the best brands and i'll probably try to get hold of one their models that are 3/4 years old as second hand, which will cut the price of riser and limbs down to about 10% of the price of a new set up.

This bow is top of the range at the mo, and just the middle orange part (the riser) will set you back over £500!:

Hoyt Formula Recurve Bows for Target Competition

Lunacy.