You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think his point is that you didn't watch the game but still have strong opinion on which position Meireles played.

EDIT: Meh, Spy Bee beat me to it.

Just as when Torres played his first game for Chelsea it was a given he would play as a striker it was a given Meireles would play as the balancing midfielder for Chelsea.

No rocket science really considering that is his actual position.

Why on earth would I need to watch the game to have a good understanding of where Meireles would start for them?

• Upvote 2

In fairness, if Sky gave him an 8, I don't think I can argue with that. Those stats that showed that Charlie Adam was a much better player with more end product and a much higher level of productivity don't count for anything. Nothing at all. But that 8 that Sky gave Meireles, well it's just beyond reproach!

In fairness, if Sky gave him an 8, I don't think I can argue with that. Those stats that showed that Charlie Adam was a much better player with more end product and a much higher level of productivity don't count for anything. Nothing at all. But that 8 that Sky gave Meireles, well it's just beyond reproach!

The stats did not show that at all?

But if it makes your day better by all means keep on thinking that.

I also see you have moved away from your laughable comments about his position, what did you think he would play as, a fullback?

Why do you stick up for other club's players so much?

Going fucking nuts cos non tackling meireles isnt here, claiming walters was fouled by carragher. You never miss an opportunity to stick it to the boys can you?

Fucking surreal.

I also see you have moved away from your laughable comments about his position, what did you think he would play as, a fullback?

I haven't moved away from that Code. I don't think he played as a defensive midfielder, but what do I know, I only saw the fucking game!

The stats did prove exactly what I said. Instead of just sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, I'M RIGHT!", why don't you explain how I am wrong?

It might be because I'm not?

I haven't moved away from that Code. I don't think he played as a defensive midfielder, but what do I know, I only saw the fucking game!

The stats did prove exactly what I said. Instead of just sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, I'M RIGHT!", why don't you explain how I am wrong?

It might be because I'm not?

I commented on them earlier, Meireles created more attacks pr minute played, he scored more goals and got more assists from open play, he made far less fouls, he won more tackles pr minute played and was just behind overall in tackles won overall even if he played more than 500 minutes less, his passing was also superior so what was it those stats showed again?

This season he has created as many attacks, got the same amount of assists, had better accuracy in his passing in just half the playing time so please talk me through those stats again.

How many penalties Adam scored last season is really not much of an indicator of his abilities as a player, Adam is a decent player, Meireles sadly is a great one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

WHAT THE FUCK IS A BALANCING MIDFIELDER MEANT TO BE?!

And why does Code keep making shit up? Balancing sounds like he attacks and defends which makes him a box to fucking box midfielder, not a playmaker who sits infront of the back 4.

Besides, with all the runs forward he makes, its stupid to judge his as playing infront of the backline. He's nothing like Xabi was who is the definition of a deep lying playmaker but he's more like Lampard who is a box to box midfielder (or balancing midfielder as code calls it).

Stats are shit, I fucking hate stats. Why do people need stats to prove or disprove what they can see with their own fucking eyes?? It's a game of football, 22 lads kicking a white ball, some of them are better at it than others - it really is that simple.

Stats may be shit. The problem is, though, some people's eyes are even shitter.

Meireles admitted he was stunned to discover he had been made available for transfer.

"I was aware that Liverpool wanted to sell me in the summer, which was a bit surprising to me," said Meireles

As good as.

Fair enough, I guess there are different ways to interpret his transfer request.

Well Comolli must be lying, and I'm pretty certain I'm going to believe him more than I am going to believe a player who went public over a wage rise demand.

FWIW I think Meireles is a better player than Henderson and would have been a better option for the right side this season. Maybe we just thought £12m was too much to turn down for a squad player, hopefully that money will go towards a player of genuine top class in January or next Summer.

The squad foundations are just about there. In the next transfer windows it should be about adding 'x factor'/'world class' players.

There is a massive age difference between Henderson and Merieles and time will show we have made the correct decision. For me, Henderson is a much better option out wide plus all of Raul's good performances last season came from the middle. Raul would have been well down Kenny's pecking order for one of those two midfield positions. Once SG was back Raul would have been seeing very little playing time so the fee received was excellent, IMO.

Just wondering how you can justify this? We barely knew who he was before Porto told him to find a new club, he done pretty o.k with us before being sold on again without too much fuss from the management and now suddenly he's a great player!

I know my Portuguese football and if you think Porto told him to find a new club you could not be more wrong.

What our management have told him to do does not really reflect the players qualities either, I`m not really overly impressed with our signings this summer considering the money we have spent and that tells me more about our managements ideas when it comes to players as opposed to a single sale or buy.

In my opinion we have made a massive mistake in the Meireles case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know my Portuguese football and if you think Porto told him to find a new club you could not be more wrong.

What our management have told him to do does not really reflect the players qualities either, I`m not really overly impressed with our signings this summer considering the money we have spent and that tells me more about our managements ideas when it comes to players as opposed to a single sale or buy.

No you don't.

Why did Porto let him leave then?

So your sticking by calling Meireles a great player. I certaintly don't think he's a great player, he's good from what i've seen with us but i wasn't too arsed when he left, drifted in and out of games too much for my liking.

All about opinions though so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on this season.