You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I agree with you, Rafa left us a great squad:)

I always said I had no problem with Rafa in the transfer market, he assembled a very good squad - just an under performing one.

It was his treatment of players and tactics which I had a problem with, something I am confident Roy will address.

Does the fact Gerrard and Torres started 14 games together implies we played different number than 14 players? I don't think so. It's not literal, but we played Benny and Babel on subs, Lucas, N'Gog, Dossena and El Zhar sometines, Hyypia only in the hour of need. Luckily, Aurelio, Alonso, Benayoun didn't suffer from injuries and although we played Skrtel against Boro on right back once, we excelled on the small squad, because there was no flood of injuries.

I am very optimistic about next season and had a bet of 100 Polish Zloty (20 pounds, quite much in our country, 10% of average monthly income) that we will finish at least third. Once again, you misread what I meant.

What I mean is we have perhaps the best or one of three best backbones in the league, but our problems lie in details. Height for set pieces, no second choice natural finisher, no pace on the back four apart from Johnson and too little pace on the wings.

That's why I want to get rid of Zorba, maybe Insua, whom I both really appreciate and like, Lucas and all the dross and bring 4-5 quality players, most of them having one year on their deals, able to loan, free agents or available for sale.

We don't need much investment in terms of money, but some little changes have to be made not to miss on the title like one year ago when we were second to none

Does the fact Gerrard and Torres started 14 games together implies we played different number than 14 players? I don't think so. It's not literal, but we played Benny and Babel on subs, Lucas, N'Gog, Dossena and El Zhar sometines, Hyypia only in the hour of need. Luckily, Aurelio, Alonso, Benayoun didn't suffer from injuries and although we played Skrtel against Boro on right back once, we excelled on the small squad, because there was no flood of injuries.

I am very optimistic about next season and had a bet of 100 Polish Zloty (20 pounds, quite much in our country, 10% of average monthly income) that we will finish at least third. Once again, you misread what I meant.

What I mean is we have perhaps the best or one of three best backbones in the league, but our problems lie in details. Height for set pieces, no second choice natural finisher, no pace on the back four apart from Johnson and too little pace on the wings.

That's why I want to get rid of Zorba, maybe Insua, whom I both really appreciate and like, Lucas and all the dross and bring 4-5 quality players, most of them having one year on their deals, able to loan, free agents or available for sale.

We don't need much investment in terms of money, but some little changes have to be made not to miss on the title like one year ago when we were second to none

Well given Skrtel had a long term injury, Keane was sold in January and Torres / Gerrard was rarely in the same team together I find it unlikely we only used 14 players - although you might be right.

I agree with the rest of you post, except I wouldn't sell Soto - think he is worth keeping for games against Bolton type teams, as he is our best defender in the air.

I know we need one centre-back who can boss the game in the air and chip a goal or two, just like Sami. I think Soto is a nice squaddie, but as I shudder to say, we need another one. Kyrgiakos will probably leave next year, when Ayala, Kelly and Wilson will be able to step up, but for now we can't rely on two injury prone, although gifte, centre-backs and to raw old-fashioned having no pace good game readers. Escude, Fernando Meira, Steven Taylor, Wheater, Benalouane, Cris, Perea are the ones having one year on their deals who spring to my mind. Chico from Almeria, who went to Genoa with a buyout clause of 3 million pounds, Marquez and Marchena who joined Villarreal for 2 million euro were my favourires. For now, loanee Caceres, free agent Gallas, wantaway Garay and next year free agent Mexes are nice options.

I think one (maybe two) of the following need to be sold, as we don't need them all:

Kuyt, Maxi, Cole, Babel, Jovanovic, Aquilani, Pacheco - that is seven players competing for three places behind Torres, not including Gerarrd who can also play behind El Nino.

Maybe only two places, in some games, if we sign someone like Crouch and play 4-4-2 at times.

I would sell Kuyt because I think Maxi and Kuyt offer similar strengths on the right - as they both work hard and like to pass and move. Think having Maxi and Babel as options on the right would give us different strengths as we can have Maxi as the regular and Babel can offer something different with his pace and directness. If we wanted to make a change in a game and we swap Kuyt for Maxi or vice versa, it doesn't reallt ask the opposition different questions, yet someone like Babel can, as he is different and an impact player - I also think Roy could bring the best out of him... although I know I am probably in the minority on this.

Pacheco and Aquilani are destined to play in the central role, Pacheco just like Kelly will perhaps start out wide to move in the center sooner or later. Jovanovic and Cole cover left side. On Babel I couldn't agree more. Unlike Lucas, he has undoubted skill, but lacks Kuyt or Mascherano attitude. I think he can flourish under Roy, because as I said earlier Riise and Finnan said he is the most gifted in the side. We've already seen some flashes, I would start him against Arsenal to boost his confidence. Still, his lifestyle is horrible. I follow him on Twitter and he is still awake at 2-3-4 a.m. at times during the week:)

Maxi and Kuyt are similar, true, offer great cover for Johnson. But remember, that last year we had Maxi, Benayoun, Riera, Babel and Kuyt and still had problems who to play out wide against Citeh, Stoke, Chelsea.

I think one (maybe two) of the following need to be sold, as we don't need them all:

Kuyt, Maxi, Cole, Babel, Jovanovic, Aquilani, Pacheco - that is seven players competing for three places behind Torres, not including Gerarrd who can also play behind El Nino.

Maybe only two places, in some games, if we sign someone like Crouch and play 4-4-2 at times.

I would sell Kuyt because I think Maxi and Kuyt offer similar strengths on the right - as they both work hard and like to pass and move. Think having Maxi and Babel as options on the right would give us different strengths as we can have Maxi as the regular and Babel can offer something different with his pace and directness. If we wanted to make a change in a game and we swap Kuyt for Maxi or vice versa, it doesn't reallt ask the opposition different questions, yet someone like Babel can, as he is different and an impact player - I also think Roy could bring the best out of him... although I know I am probably in the minority on this.

we need as many players as we can get, i cant see how on earth you can advocate selling players especially kuyt. Did you watch the world cup? Just leaving maxi on the right is suicide!

Teams aim for two top players in each position, we are a million miles away from that. With the flair we have in cole, gerrard, torres and say aquilani - kuyt may be vital to do the donkey work especially considering johnson bombs on too

we need as many players as we can get, i cant see how on earth you can advocate selling players especially kuyt. Did you watch the world cup? Just leaving maxi on the right is suicide!

I didn't say just leave Maxi on the right. I say I'd have Babel as back up to him, as he is a different type option.

I didn't say just leave Maxi on the right. I say I'd have Babel as back up to him, as he is a different type option.

But babel is absolutely terrible! Roy may wake him up but surely only as a striker, he is like cisse, no guile and no positional awareness. All pace and a hammer shot.

We are much stronger than we were last season, two more additions and we'll be sorted. We've cleared some of the dead wood out (few more would be nice, 2 out of these 3 IMO: Babel/Insua/Lucas) and we've got combination of young hungry footballers,pace and guile into the team.