You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sounds like a bad one KMD7. Hope you and yours stay safe.

It has gone cold over here in the Midwest of America. About -25C today. With the wind chill it’s a lot colder again. Plenty of warnings on the local news and so on about being careful, as ten minutes outside will apparently give frostbite to any exposed skin.

It’s stupid cold.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a bad one KMD7. Hope you and yours stay safe.

It has gone cold over here in the Midwest of America. About -25C today. With the wind chill it’s a lot colder again. Plenty of warnings on the local news and so on about being careful, as ten minutes outside will apparently give frostbite to any exposed skin.

It’s stupid cold.

That's proper cold

Following the hedgehog discussion earlier I was out in the garden and discovered snowdrops peeping through. How come? This was the first mild day in weeks and weeks. Very odd indeed

I had exactly the same.  And they're even more visible this morning.  Last night was a cacophony of howling wind, pissing rain and hailstones and probably the loudest bastard of a clap of thunder I've ever heard.  In my dazed state I honestly thought the latter was an explosion.

I don't recall hearing thunder in winter before, I always associated it with warmer weather.

Fucking hell! Was it just wind or was there actually a little tornado? Can still see the wind blowing the trees in that first picture.

My brown bin has fallen over and all the grass that was in there has fallen out onto the grass.

It was a small tornado imo mate. Like I said earlier we're pretty exposed and have experienced a number of heavy storms over the years but this was something different. It just blew up out of nowhere and the worst of it lasted about half an hour but it wreaked havoc. It's a bit gusty today but last night was some different.

Just goes to show you that no good can come from negging LFD

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

At least you are safe mate, the rest can be repaired and hopefully covered through insurances. 

Storm has hit us now, which is strange because we live in the middle of the bloody country. Mind you, only toy winds of 60mph. Shit loads of rain though. 

At least you are safe mate, the rest can be repaired and hopefully covered through insurances.

Storm has hit us now, which is strange because we live in the middle of the bloody country. Mind you, only toy winds of 60mph. Shit loads of rain though.

Yeah I agree totally mate, it's nothing that can't be replaced.

Guest Pistonbroke

Yeah I agree totally mate, it's nothing that can't be replaced.

Indeed, best way to approach these sort of things. Still a massive pain in the arse like. Have you got power back yet? 

Guest Pistonbroke

I was just watching the German news and a village was hit by the storm and it caused quite a bit of damage, the name of the village........'Wind'...you couldn't make it up. 

301551.jpg

sturm-burglind-franken-schaeden-bild-100

orkan-burglind-oberfranken-102~_v-img__1

Main downside to the proper cold temperatures we are experiencing is that the furnace is working overtime to keep the house warm. The thing is 15 years old and that’s about the lifespan they have. So yes, you guessed it, yesterday it ground to a halt and gave up the ghost. Mrs G and the kids slept downstairs as we also have a fireplace and they had that going to at least heat one room. I slept upstairs, thinking they were wimps.

Repair man came today and bottom line is it needs a new motor which is a fair way towards the price of a whole new furnace, so we bit the bullet and ordered a new one. Installation tomorrow. One more chilly night in the house without a furnace...

Temperature tonight about -25 C. Perfect timing!

• Upvote 1

House nice and warm again.

We phoned a friend/acquaintance of mine who I play golf with from time to time. He has his own HVAC small business and he assessed everything and made a recommendation. He installed a new furnace the same as the one he recently put in his own house and did us a really good price, so all’s well that ends well.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...