You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Broughton

Trucker Paddy

Broughton also said that if fans were to hear anything in the media they were to ignore it as it won't be true.

Given the way the negotiations have been conducted so far, both for the sale of the club and the managers position I think I'm inclined to believe him.

Hodgson has been all over the fucking media.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stop protest. stop opposition to their regime. stop anything from the fans pissing off sponsors. fool RBS. there's millions of reasons.

If he's as half as intelligent as he seems he'll know that just isn't going to happen and so it shouldn't.

My optimist side is saying he has no reason to lie but my pessimistic side says he is only saying all that to try and show the ambition of the club going forward in a desperate attempt to keep the big guns.

Our future will look different if Gerrard and Torres commit themselves.

Granted it could look worse, but the worse possible scenario hasn't happened yet.

Thats very true - when Hodgson was mooted as a possible contender for the manager role I was very sceptical that he could make a good job of it. I still maintain that the appointment has been made for the wrong reasons but Hodgson is honest enough and appears determined enough to succeed despite the managerial staff at the club.

I'm going to give him all the support I can, and give him every bit as much leeway that every other manager of our club has had.

I've actually got more and more confident in his appointment as the day has gone on to the point where I now believe that if we can keep Torres and Gerrard we will finish in the top three. This season. If we get new owners that are willing to invest in the team before the end of the transfer window, a couple of good singings could see us pick up number 19 next May.

If he's as half as intelligent as he seems he'll know that just isn't going to happen and so it shouldn't.

My optimist side is saying he has no reason to lie but my pessimistic side says he is only saying all that to try and show the ambition of the club going forward in a desperate attempt to keep the big guns.

You can tell he believes what he's saying. Doesn't mean he can't be caught off-guard.

He has no reason at all to lie, absolutely none.

I've said this a few times but I can't stress highly enough how low the fans' opinions and actions figure in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the current situation. The likes of Broughton, the yanks, the bank, potential new investors etc simply DO - NOT - CARE what any of the fans say, how many protests they arrange, or even if they have a secret stockpile of petrol bombs.

It's all about business, and it's all about the bottom line.

I've said this a few times but I can't stress highly enough how low the fans' opinions and actions figure in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the current situation. The likes of Broughton, the yanks, the bank, potential new investors etc simply DO - NOT - CARE what any of the fans say, how many protests they arrange, or even if they have a secret stockpile of petrol bombs.

I agree entirely. We have to keep up the protests and even more so than ever now. I wish I could make it up there for Sunday.

Nah, you can't trust him, we're being "asset stripped". I read it on the internet.

Given the amount of money that appears to have gone missing - Keane fee, £50 Mill on a phantom stadium, no transfer fees for the last two year - are you suggesting that we're NOT being asset stripped?

Broughton cites the fact that Hodgson is not insisting on any funds for transfers as a major reason for selecting him. I wonder how that will go down with Gerrard and Torres who are on the record as stating the urgent need for new players.

My guess is that Broughton will be given an early opportunity to prove his statement today that all funds from the sale of players will be invested in the squad. He said it in his first interviews and also to Rafa, in private. Purslow has also said it and has already been proven wrong.

A reasonable man (like Rafa) must wonder why Broughton and Purslow won't put it in writing if they are so insistent on it. If it is a board decision, as Broughton implies, it does not need the blessing of the owners. It just needs a majority vote. Has the board made a resolution to that effect? If not, on what authority are Broughton and Purslow making these statements?

When he says funds from sales will be invested in the squad, does he mean the funds will be available to buy players or does he mean they will be earmarked for the salaries and wages of the playing staff, management and support staff?

Two interviews and two different answers.

Hodgson being introduced to the press he states "the owners can not block an offer".

However on the the offal he states

"the owners can not block a reasonable offer for the club".

To me the second statement strengthens the first. It indicates that a price has been agreed and they cannot block any offer that meets that agreed price. Just like they did with the rangers - if you remember there was an auction there and the highest bidder didn't win the auction.

I really don't see anything wrong with that extra word at all.

and experience tells me he'll say exactly what PR people tell him to do. if lying suits his agenda he'll do it. a look back to the last 3 years will tell you it has suited the agenda of the people who run the club to lie at every turn. I see no reason to suspect the chelsea chimp will be any different. i remember almost identical optimism by people on this forum about purslow. even come the new year when it was clear he was nothing but a lying, snide cunt, the majority continued to use the football fan, head in the sand, hope for the best "give him a chance, why would he say that, we can slaughter him if he's wrong" attitude. Well he was proved to be a liar like many of us picked very early. this cunt from chelsea is no different. all you do by giving him the benefit of the doubt is let the owners off the hook.

and experience tells me he'll say exactly what PR people tell him to do. if lying suits his agenda he'll do it. a look back to the last 3 years will tell you it has suited the agenda of the people who run the club to lie at every turn. I see no reason to suspect the chelsea chimp will be any different. i remember almost identical optimism by people on this forum about purslow. even come the new year when it was clear he was nothing but a lying, snide cunt, the majority continued to use the football fan, head in the sand, hope for the best "give him a chance, why would he say that, we can slaughter him if he's wrong" attitude. Well he was proved to be a liar like many of us picked very early. this cunt from chelsea is no different. all you do by giving him the benefit of the doubt is let the owners off the hook.

Mate I totally understand where you are coming from, I really do, my ethos is to give people the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason to think otherwise. The Yanks and Purslow have given me reason but this guy hasn't.

The club cannot and will not move forward until the yanks are gone and im more than happy to do my bit to aid that cause.

Mate I totally understand where you are coming from, I really do, my ethos is to give people the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason to think otherwise. The Yanks and Purslow have given me reason but this guy hasn't.

The club cannot and will not move forward until the yanks are gone and im more than happy to do my bit to aid that cause.

and this is how hicks and gillett get away with it. at each turn just as the latest puppet gets shown up for what they are, they'll role a new one in. once broughton has gone, there'll be someone else and someone else until there is no club. he told you everything you wanted to hear today about the veto of the bid - the owners can't, the board can. except my understanding is there are only 3 executive members of the board - purslow, gillett and hicks. so only those 3 can make decisions. so they can block what they like.

One day a week chairman who has stated that the day to day business of the club is Purslow's responsibility. That's how.

Hiring and firing managers is not the day to day business of the club, it's a board level decision and he's the chairman, which is what he said his role was in the very same interview you are referring to. We all claim we don't like the owners or the employees of the club twisting words to make things seem like they are not, so why do it ourselves? I thought you in particular were a bit more worldly wise than that. It's a thoroughly disengenuous argument and it does our cause no good to look like fools.

"My role is as Chairman, a part-time Chairmanship, but the key part of the role is to oversee the sale process and find a new buyer for Liverpool".

"On a day to day basis, Christian Purslow is the Managing Director and he's supported by Phillip Nash and Ian Ayre."

Where is the inconsistency with the above direct quotes and the role he is playing in acting as a figurehead regarding a major board decision? There are plenty of things to distrust him or attack him over, without making up childish arguments.

and this is how hicks and gillett get away with it. at each turn just as the latest puppet gets shown up for what they are, they'll role a new one in. once broughton has gone, there'll be someone else and someone else until there is no club. he told you everything you wanted to hear today about the veto of the bid - the owners can't, the board can. except my understanding is there are only 3 executive members of the board - purslow, gillett and hicks. so only those 3 can make decisions. so they can block what they like.

Like I said im more than happy to help remove the asset strippers, Ive signed up to SoS and im trying to help set up a branch of it as well.

Im under no illusions mate. Please understand that.

I do understand that. But I just think Broughton is the latest part of the whole charade to kid the fans.

You may well be right mate.

One thing I did think is that Im sure Broughton said there would be no discussion about the sale until it is completed back when he first came in. Although im not sure if he meant it as in 'the media'.

We're talking about a man who openly states that he has no interest in the role past the sale. Someone who can't suspend his previous loyalties to attend a key game (Crouch says he was brought up a Chelsea fan; did he refuse to play against them?).

A man who is attending Chelsea end of season events as a Chelsea fan when he's supposed to be Liverpool chairman, and gossiping with women from the tabloid media, even if she did later state that he hadn't said what he was specifically accused of.

It's clear that he has no loyalty to us and is in the job for reasons of personal gain.

Far from having a pristine record, he has presided over massive industrial action at British Airways which has made record losses under his stewardship, British American Tobacco have been implicated in cigarette smuggling on his watch, and I'm sure there is more dirt which can be dug without looking too hard.

It's worrying when people will trust first and ask questions later just because he has a honeyed tongue when it should be the other way round, especially where Hicks, Gillett and their employees are involved. Perhaps he is telling the truth and perhaps he is not but be careful who you give your trust to. Far as I can see he's done absolutely nothing to earn it yet.

I do understand that. But I just think Broughton is the latest part of the whole charade to kid the fans.

he's a facade for the yanks, its clear as day, we wont believe a word they say but people will believe this guy, as they did with Purslow

Why would an investment bank appoint someone just to shine the fans on? Let alone someone of his standing and (no doubt) large salary demands. Even if they had, he's not very good at it - he's already openly admitted he doesn't give a shit what the fans think.

IMO he's shown no interest in trying to get the fans onside because (a) he doesn't think he needs them to fulfil his goal (which he doesn't) and (b) he doesn't expect to be here that long.

Maddock has already run articles saying Barclay's are 'frustrated' at the yanks' attitude to the sale, I'd bet a ton he's behind those leaks. I've no doubt in my mind the man is a rat, but business types often are (Martin Edwards was a manc, fat lot of good that did them) but he's not the type of person who'd be willing to let the likes of Hicks and Gillett pull his strings, if anything, it'll be the other way around.

I think Broughton has been caught between a rock and a hard place with Hick's ridiculous valuation of the club which Broughton can't be blamed for. I like the way he said something along the lines of it isn't about selling to the highest bidder but the right buyer.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt where he says he can categorically state that sales from players won't be going to service debts etc. He has set himself up for a massive fall by saying that and as Antynwa said earlier in the thread he has no reason to lie and why would he lie?

If he oversees the successful sale of the club to owners who won't screw us over then he will have my respect for that at least.

Hell yeah! So agree. Tried to rep you, but looks like I have done recently. Well done for yet more wise words dude.

Why would an investment bank appoint someone just to shine the fans on? Let alone someone of his standing and (no doubt) large salary demands. Even if they had, he's not very good at it - he's already openly admitted he doesn't give a shit what the fans think.

IMO he's shown no interest in trying to get the fans onside because (a) he doesn't think he needs them to fulfil his goal (which he doesn't) and (b) he doesn't expect to be here that long.

Maddock has already run articles saying Barclay's are 'frustrated' at the yanks' attitude to the sale, I'd bet a ton he's behind those leaks. I've no doubt in my mind the man is a rat, but business types often are (Martin Edwards was a manc, fat lot of good that did them) but he's not the type of person who'd be willing to let the likes of Hicks and Gillett pull his strings, if anything, it'll be the other way around.

Hell mo fo yeah! Section, you are ruling this thread hard my man!!