You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are kind of missing the point. He is employed by Hicks and Gillett whether we like it or not. It isn't up to him to be happy with them, it his his job to make sure whoever employs him is happy with him. He has fell way short this year. It is the same in any job in any walk of life.

Man Utd lost two main players in the summer and are still fighting for the title in the last week of the season.

We lost a main player and are probably going to finish 7th.

That has nothing to do with money.

Why are you comparing us to United? Doesn't make sense. In the past 20 years they have left us behind on all fronts whilst we have gone from one transition to another. They've been able to supplement an established squad with 20/30 million pound players over the past 10 years whilst we've spent a similar amount yearly on trying to improve a side overall.

I'm not missing the point whatsoever. Are you happy with the way Hicks & Gillett have run the club in the past 3 years?

Do you think their ambitions meet those of the supporters, the players and the manager?

Do you think players like Gerrard are happy with the level of investment in the side in the past 3 transfer windows or should he just concentrate on making Hicks & Gillett happy?

On the contrary. The same fans calling for him to be given more time and money now would just be saying give him even more time and money. You can spin that any way you want but you know it's the most likely scenario.

Look at the numbers that wanted a change of manager 6 years ago. When you've been backed and not delivered, at all, people look towards change.

The biggest problem with this Football Club is the owners. Like it or not, they are. Until they are gone this Football Club is only going one way. Doesn't matter really who's in charge.

Look at the numbers that wanted a change of manager 6 years ago. When you've been backed and not delivered, at all, people look towards change.

The biggest problem with this Football Club is the owners. Like it or not, they are. Until they are gone this Football Club is only going one way. Doesn't matter really who's in charge.

Nice spin but that doesnt work. People wanted rid of Houllier because he'd gone as far as he could.

But benitez is often pointed to the man who won the fifth european cup so its just a question of time and budget for him to win the title. So it comes back to those people saying he needs more money and time saying he'd just need even more money even more time.

The biggest problem at this club are the owner but the second biggest problem (and biggest problem on the playing side) is benitez.

Even if he had a net spend of 120m - 150m, he still make substitutions by the clock and not how the game was going, he'd still look to control the game, he'd still be cautious and he'd still take players of because he thought they were knackered even though the players themselves would say there weren't.

That the biggest problem to benitez winning the league.

You couldn't be further from the truth.

I spoke at Length To a impeccable source today and Benitez is genuinely upset at the thought of leaving Liverpool,he's tired of all the games that are being played behind the scenes.

He and his family love living in this part of the World and even if he did joined Juve it's not certain that his family would move to Italy with him.

He wanted backing from the Club and hasn't got it,the club want him to walk so they save paying him his contract,Benitez will go and will NOT fight the club over what is due to him.

Despite what he think of Benitez John,he genuinely as a great affection for the fans who rallied around him during the Klinsmann fiasco.

John, he's been just as guilty of playing games himself.

So Purslow won't get his house?

I'd be made up if Rafa fucks him over with that. The oily fucking twat.

Eh ?

I will wager you a bet now that any half decent manager comes in things will improve. More scaremongering.

John' date=' he's been just as guilty of playing games himself.

Eh ?[/quote']

He mostly certainly has Mick,

but if Rafa as brought about the Owners demise then I can live with that Mick.

As I said earlier in the thread,Benitez isn't blameless for all what gone on,I've said it once and I'll say it again,I don't mind Benitez going if the Yanks go with him,but Benitez going and them staying is a dark day for the Club

Nice spin but that doesnt work. People wanted rid of Houllier because he'd gone as far as he could.

But benitez is often pointed to the man who won the fifth european cup so its just a question of time and budget for him to win the title. So it comes back to those people saying he needs more money and time saying he'd just need even more money even more time.

The biggest problem at this club are the owner but the second biggest problem (and biggest problem on the playing side) is benitez.

Even if he had a net spend of 120m - 150m, he still make substitutions by the clock and not how the game was going, he'd still look to control the game, he'd still be cautious and he'd still take players of because he thought they were knackered even though the players themselves would say there weren't.

That the biggest problem to benitez winning the league.

Two points there, firstly you've stated that people wanted rid of Houllier because he took us as far as he could. That's exactly what I'm talking about. He was backed and couldn't go further so it was the time to move on.

Secondly you've stated that the biggest problem at the club is the owners but the next problem and the biggest in relation to the playing side is Rafa. Now I struggle to split that. The club is inclusive of the playing side.

No manager in the modern game can be massively successful without having something to spend to improve. That's why in every part of the club the owners take the most of the blame for the current position we are in.

Negged. Disrespectful prick.

I want him gone too but the insults are fucking dispicable. Call yourself a Liverpool supporter? Arsewipe.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/90868-team-v-atleti-masch-rb-alberto-starts-36.html#post2239660

The fuck were those substitutions all about? Get fucked Benitez, you've finally done it for me tonight. Get out of our club and let us have someone who'll be able to offer some semblance of a bench after 6 years. Get to fucking Italy with your shit cautious football. You're helping those yank cunts to murder our club. Fuck off.

That or "Fat Spanish Waiter"? Potato/Potarto.

-------

I wasn't that arsed when Houllier left. It felt like time and a change was needed.

While I sort of get that now with Rafa, it hurts more. I wanted him to succeed, and I really thought he was going to.

Too many people seem happy

"One more man gone"

[YOUTUBE]NtRvH2GWurE&autoplay=1[/YOUTUBE]

I will wager you a bet now that any half decent manager comes in things will improve. More scaremongering.

So we bring in whatever half decent manager we can for the new season and again have to work from a negative transfer kitty, you reckon there'll be a decent enough improvement?

If, in my opinion, what I've stated above happens we'll be still fighting it out around these few teams that we are now. They'll all spend again and look to improve whilst we standing still.

Constantly not having any money to improve the squad will result in long term reeduction in quality. No ifs buts or maybes from me on that score. Perhaps a slight short term improvement but deffo nothing in the long term.

I'm sure the next manager will galvanise things and get us playing decent football, maybe even with some success just like what most managers do when they first come into a job. He will suffer in the long term though because there isn't the finances available or any real ambition in the boardroom whilst Hicks & Gillett remain.

The next appointment should be made with a view to the short term.

I'm sure the next manager will galvanise things and get us playing decent football, maybe even with some success just like what most managers do when they first come into a job. He will suffer in the long term though because there isn't the finances available or any real ambition in the boardroom whilst Hicks & Gillett remain.

The next appointment should be made with a view to the short term.

Maybe Kenny,until we get new owners.

Maybe Kenny,until we get new owners.

If that didn't get Anfield bouncing again then nothing will.

The majority of fans would be made up to see him back in the role and i reckon our key players like Gerrard and Torres would react positively to his appointment.

Have to wonder if Dalglish would want it though and a part of me doubts he would now.

Two points there, firstly you've stated that people wanted rid of Houllier because he took us as far as he could. That's exactly what I'm talking about. He was backed and couldn't go further so it was the time to move on.

Secondly you've stated that the biggest problem at the club is the owners but the next problem and the biggest in relation to the playing side is Rafa. Now I struggle to split that. The club is inclusive of the playing side.

No manager in the modern game can be massively successful without having something to spend to improve. That's why in every part of the club the owners take the most of the blame for the current position we are in.

Well if you struggle with the the second issue, that's for you to address. But on the first point, benitez has only 'not been backed' as you would say this last season.

Irrespective of that though, how much is enough for benitez? I mean how much do you want to load onto the club seeing as our income is finite to pay for all the players he wants or needs?

As I said, benitez could have 150m net spend but it wont change his approach to the game one jot. Ergo, money isnt the problem for benitez winning the title. Its benitez's style.

John, could you explain your logic behind replacing Rafa with Roy Hodgson? I'm wondering what he could possibly bring to the table besides a probable short-term boost in team performance..? He's been very successful with Fulham by turning them into a strictly organized and pretty defensive unit. How is he an improvement on Rafa?

As I said, benitez could have 150m net spend but it wont change his approach to the game one jot. Ergo, money isnt the problem for benitez winning the title. Its benitez's style.

You say he wasn't backed last summer and i agree with that.

At the end of last season what do you think was required to make that next step from 2nd to 1st or even to consolidate our position and try for a similar amount of points?

Chris Bascombe in the News of the World:

Red Roy as Pool target Fulham boss

RED ROY AS LIVERPOOL TARGET FULHAM BOSS | Hodgson tells friends he's interested in Anfield post. | News Of The World

ROY HODGSON has emerged as the shock front-runner to succeed Rafa Benitez at Liverpool this summer.

The Fulham chief is a wanted man after leading the Londoners to the Europa League final.

Although Benitez's future will not be resolved until the end of the season, Hodgson has emerged as a potential replacement at Anfield.

Hodgson, 62, has told friends he has one big job left in him after his remarkable work with Fulham and is now one of the names being considered by Liverpool.

The Kop have already explored other options, including Martin O'Neill - who is sure to be on the short-list - and Jose Mourinho.

But Hodgson has become a serious contender after leading the London club on an exhilarating European run. The Fulham chief has always wanted the England job, but his path has been blocked by the excellent work of Fabio Capello.

Hodgson is aware that Capello intends to see out his contract with the FA, which runs until 2012, and is unlikely to quit even if England won the World Cup this summer.

Instead, Hodgson has told close friends he is interested in transforming Liverpool's fortunes, though there has been no official approach.

Liverpool will not make their move for a new manager until the end of the season and will not be panicked into an appointment.

Hodgson's work at Fulham over the past two seasons is much admired at Anfield and he has become a credible solution to their ongoing problems.

The Fulham chief has an excellent managerial record, with the exception of his second season in charge at Blackburn.

At 62, he believes there is another big challenge left in his career and is prepared to listen offers from another club.

IT'S BYE-BYE BENITEZ AT LIVERPOOL | News Of The World

IT'S BYE-BYE BENITEZ AT LIVERPOOL

RAFA BENITEZ has paved the way for his Kop exit by accusing Liverpool of breaking the promises which prompted him to pen a new contract.

The beleaguered boss expects today's clash with Chelsea to be his last game at Anfield as Liverpool manager.

Only the terms of his departure stand in the way of him going after next weekend's final Premier League game at Hull.

But there's no chance of Benitez going quietly. He believes his board have failed to stand by guarantees on transfer funds they made a year ago.

And he's also disillusioned by what he considers a lack of support from the Anfield hierarchy.

Benitez knows the board of directors want him to resign to prevent them from paying out a massive £16million if they sack him. They will also seek compensation for themselves if they can prove an illegal approach was made by Juventus for his services.

However, Benitez is sure to argue he's entitled to his own costs on leaving the club, especially as he claims he's been forced to work under disagreeable conditions.

Benitez said: "I decided to sign an extension because the squad was good and the money could be there. At the end, things changed. We've had a bad season and hopefully things will be different in the future, but at the moment I can't talk about the future because I don't know what's going on.

"I decided to stay under some conditions which have changed. I left Valencia because the conditions changed. The season has not been good, that is clear. We know why and what has to change."

Just over a year ago, Benitez signed a five-year deal worth £20m.

He believed he'd get an annual £20m transfer kitty on top of the money he raised in sales.

He also fought for complete power over all transfer decisions and thought former chief executive Rick Parry's departure gave him the control he wanted.

But managing director Christian Purslow's appointment last summer ensured the board would continue to have their say on how the budget was spent and how transfers were negotiated.

Most of the funds were swallowed up by contract extensions for Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Dirk Kuyt, Yossi Benayoun and Benitez himself.

The manager insists he didn't realise that would be the case - and the tensions have grown ever since. Instead of heralding a new era, the relationship between Benitez and Purslow is now at breaking point.

Club officials were stunned to be accused of failing to back Benitez given the length of his contract and the public support they gave during this season's disappointments.

Failure

Liverpool's profits will take a major hit this season due to their early cup exits and likely failure to finish in the top four.

At the same time, Juventus have been openly courting Benitez since January, when the Spaniard admitted he was proud of their interest. Privately, Benitez wanted Real Madrid to come calling too, but they've turned to Jose Mourinho.

AC Milan is another potential destination for Benitez, while last year he says he turned down Manchester City.

He'll leave behind a club in state of depression following Thursday's Europa League exit.

Purslow must make one of the biggest decisions in the club's history.

He and his board must decide whether to act immediately after the Hull clash or wait to see if Benitez accepts another job. That risks losing potential targets.

With first choice Mourinho seemingly heading to Spain, the frontrunners for the Anfield post are now Martin O'Neill and Roy Hodgson. Further afield, Benfica boss Jesus Jorge also has admirers at the club, if they choose to look abroad.

The Liverpool players are dreading returning from this summer's World Cup to be faced with the same problems and there are no guarantees star players will stay, regardless of Benitez's position.

John, could you explain your logic behind replacing Rafa with Roy Hodgson? I'm wondering what he could possibly bring to the table besides a probable short-term boost in team performance..? He's been very successful with Fulham by turning them into a strictly organized and pretty defensive unit. How is he an improvement on Rafa?

A few reasons:

Can work on a limited budget and wouldn't be continously moaning about lack of funds.

Wouldn't be picking fights with all and sundry.

Would have a type of bootroom ethos about him.

I think he would be actually be happy with Kenny at the club (something I remain to be convinced Rafa is happy about).

How do you know he wouldn't be an improvement?

I'm sure the next manager will galvanise things and get us playing decent football, maybe even with some success just like what most managers do when they first come into a job.

So, you're suggesting a new manager will have a simialr effect like benitez when he came in with 2005 and 2006 but goes rapidly downhill from there. Hmmmm.