You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool to listen to offers for Aquilani.

BolshieBastard

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that would make sense as we are paying 5m a year for him from Roma over 4 years and not the 20m cash the press keep banging on about.

Most transfer deals are structured in that way. Unless he returns to Roma with all future payments cancelled, we will still owe the money agreed whether he is here or not.

We have already paid 12m Euro if the payment timescale agreed has been fulfilled.

Edited by Hermes

Because he was told he had another £40m to spend after that?

He wasn't, but even if you were right does that still justify the mismanagement of those two transfers. Even Johnson isn't worth the money. Good enough footballer, total luxury signing though.

I will never accept Rafa was screwed over last summer judging by the unprecedented numerous new contracts that were given out at his request. He signed that contract with his eyes open knowing full well what the score was so it is a bit churlish for him to moan about it after the event.

He wasn't, but even if you were right does that still justify the mismanagement of those two transfers. Even Johnson isn't worth the money. Good enough footballer, total luxury signing though.

Keane I can't argue against you, nobody can.

Johnson. It looked at the time - and still could - as if it was either buy someone from Portsmouth or lose £10M over Crouch. We needed a right back, and he's one of the best in the league (not that we're blessed with that many).

If I remember rightly, didn't Rafa say that we got a bargain when we signed Aquilani because he would be worth £30m without his injuries? haha.

I think some people blame the manager for loads of things that are not his fault, but I think even the most hardened Rafa fans have got to admit he is to blame for signings that don't work out (equally they take credit for good signings).

Let's also not forget that the main reason Xabi Alonso wanted to leave (the reason he gave himself) was that he was very disappointed to be put up for sale the previous summer (for £10m!!).

I think Rafa has made far too many poor signings, especially in the Macia era. Its understandable that £1m - £5m players are a gamble, but when you are shelling out £20m on a player, that player should be a finished article.

We haven't got money to waste, unlike the mancs. We can't afford to be wasting £20m on Aquilani.

Johnson. It looked at the time - and still could - as if it was either buy someone from Portsmouth or lose £10M over Crouch. We needed a right back, and he's one of the best in the league (not that we're blessed with that many).

£10m is not £17m.

Let's also not forget that the main reason Xabi Alonso wanted to leave (the reason he gave himself) was that he was very disappointed to be put up for sale the previous summer (for £10m!!).

That price is wrong. We owed Sociedad a higher proportion if we sold him for under £16M, so wanted that.

Also, do you not think that he would have gone anyway after receiving an offer that was stupidly good to the club and doubling his wages whilst moving back to his home country?

£10m is not £17m.

I'd rather spend £7M on a player than lose £10M and still have to spend money.

We've only paid 9 million though. The rest was dependent on us winning stuff I think. Since he hasn't won anything (yet), it stays at 9.

Anyway, it's written by NOTW, so you might as well scribble a few words on your own ballsack and claim that as a rumour as well.

€12m already paid, another €5m due in 6 weeks, and €5m next june all guarnteed, another €3m in add ons, thats the break down, and its the way most transfers are paid. The only reason people keep banging on about this is Roma put it on there website. We pay for and always have paid for transfers in installments, same as the mancs who paid for Rooney in 3 installments.

He signed a player who was the replacement for Alonso. That player had a history of injuries that no other manager at a club the size of Liverpool would have even considered for that amount of money. Given the clubs finances, Rafa imo had no right to take such a risk. It's wasn't just Aquilani he was taking a risk on, but effectively the whole team.

I just get the feeling that Rafa does not stop to think about the consequences of his actions when it comes to signings. 'Aquilani/Keane didn't work out. Oh well I'll just ship them out at a loss. After all it's not my money'. He treated Aquilani and Keane like a spoilt kid treats toys. Asks and asks for them for months and when he realises he's no good at using them, casually tosses them aside.

Stupid signing , who had the Bright idea to sign a player with as bad a playing record than Darren Anderton And Jamie Redknapp , I read that Rafa was blaming the scouting system the other week, Rafa was completly blameless in blowing 10/20m whoknows how much of our precious budget by the way just like The Robbie Keane saga .

He signed a player who was the replacement for Alonso. That player had a history of injuries that no other manager at a club the size of Liverpool would have even considered for that amount of money. Given the clubs finances' date=' Rafa imo had no right to take such a risk. It's wasn't just Aquilani he was taking a risk on, but effectively the whole team.

[/quote']

Should have just signed his first choice..... Ooops.

Stupid signing , who had the Bright idea to sign a player with as bad a playing record than Darren Anderton And Jamie Redknapp , I read that Rafa was blaming the scouting system the other week, Rafa was completly blameless in blowing 10/20m whoknows how much of our precious budget by the way just like The Robbie Keane saga .

I think you read that Chris Bascombe invented some shit about Rafa blaming the scouting system.

I get the impression that if \ when benitez goes in the summer, Aquilani will assess if the new manager wants him to stay or not then make a decision.

Realistically, I think the lad knows he has little future at Anfield under the current regime.

HAHA What an idiot you are - the other day you were trying to have a go at others for posting stuff without quotes.

You're an idiot and a hypocrite.

Bye!

All criticising aside can someone please give me some reasons behind Benitez' thinking when he signed Aquilani for such an amount when he didn't have any idea how to use him. Twice in two summers we sign a player for 20m and the manager has no idea how to bed him into the side consistently. Fucking downright negligence.

He's said ever since he made the signing that he was for the future not for now.

Could be that not having had any sort of 'pre-season' with any team and the injury still causing minor problems, that he is being managed so we can see the best out of him in the future rather than throw him in and see him have a set back.

I'd have thought that would be considered good management.