You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You're The Manager

What would you do in the summer?

Given a £2m, £12m & £20m net transfer budget?

Try and keep the costs sensible and don't sell every winger we have to buy one cause with one injury we'd be fucked.

I'd

Sell

Cavalieri £1.5m

Aurelio

Degan £1m

Plessis £500k

Riera £7m

Ngog £2m

Aqualani £13m

Buy with £2m plus sales

Capdevilla £Bosman I believe LB

Milner £18m CM, LM

Jovanovic £Bosman CF

Krasic £9m (not sure on his value to be fair) RM

I'd consider offers on

Lucas £8-10m

Babel £10m

Insua £4m

But the reality is if we did sell those 3 on top of the others we'd never ever spend all that on say Silva for example as that would leave the squad too short you'd have to replace the squad with 3 more players

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you do in the summer?

Spend a lot of my money on a crown for Patches, and a small throne, get him sat down on it, get the squad and staff sat around infront of him, and listen to what his plans are for the club.

Then carry out his orders.

It's not possible to predict what will happen, but I will work on an assumption of zero budget, contracts of incoming players being covered by contracts of outgoing players, and no-one leaving the squad unless I sell them or their contract runs down.

We've already done a deal for Jovanovic. Jovanovic can allegedly play on the left as well as up front. Kuyt can play on the right as well as up front. We have Maxi and Benayoun as starters for the wings and Babel as backup too.

I'm selling Riera and bringing in Amoo and Ecclestone because we have some cover already, I want to develop youngsters, and Riera is dead weight. Let's assume I can get £5M for Riera. I'm also going to use Kelly a fair bit and Spearing if I have to sell Lucas.

I need to get a left back to replace Aurelio and compete with Insua. I'm going to try to get Capdevila on a free.

Now, let's assume I can sell Aquilani for £10M. That gives me £15M and some decent money from losing two player contracts.

If I can get him for £20M, I want Javi Martinez. I'm also willing to sell Lucas if I have to, and also if I need to spend money on a left back.

I'm playing 4-4-2 and attacking the weaker teams and playing 4-2-3-1 against the stronger ones and hitting them on the counter. That gives me a squad like this:

Goal: Reina, Cavalieri

Left Back: Capdevila, Insua

Right Back: Johnson, Kelly

Centre-Back: Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Greek, Kelly

Left wing: Benayoun, Babel, Jovanovic, Eccleston

Right wing: Maxi, Babel, Kuyt, Amoo

Midfield: Gerrard, Mascherano, Martinez, Lucas (or Spearing)

Striker: Torres, Kuyt, Jovanovic, Pacheco, Ngog

I reckon that's me sorted for top four. Easy this Football Manager game isn't it?

I reckon that's me sorted for top four. Easy this Football Manager game isn't it?

You are going to bring in a 20M CM and a full back who can't defend. Where have I seen that before? Martinez isn't actually injured is he with this being a clever parody?

It's not possible to predict what will happen, but I will work on an assumption of zero budget, contracts of incoming players being covered by contracts of outgoing players, and no-one leaving the squad unless I sell them or their contract runs down.

We've already done a deal for Jovanovic. Jovanovic can allegedly play on the left as well as up front. Kuyt can play on the right as well as up front. We have Maxi and Benayoun as starters for the wings and Babel as backup too.

I'm selling Riera and bringing in Amoo and Ecclestone because we have some cover already, I want to develop youngsters, and Riera is dead weight. Let's assume I can get £5M for Riera. I'm also going to use Kelly a fair bit and Spearing if I have to sell Lucas.

I need to get a left back to replace Aurelio and compete with Insua. I'm going to try to get Capdevila on a free.

Now, let's assume I can sell Aquilani for £10M. That gives me £15M and some decent money from losing two player contracts.

If I can get him for £20M, I want Javi Martinez. I'm also willing to sell Lucas if I have to, and also if I need to spend money on a left back.

I'm playing 4-4-2 and attacking the weaker teams and playing 4-2-3-1 against the stronger ones and hitting them on the counter. That gives me a squad like this:

No better than 7th unless both Gerrard and Torres have great seasons.

You are going to bring in a 20M CM and a full back who can't defend. Where have I seen that before? Martinez isn't actually injured is he with this being a clever parody?

I'm bringing in a midfielder who will play games and can play in midfield. Martinez is the player we should have signed last season, with a decent right back rather than a luxury one, and a backup striker.

Not much you can do about left back if you have nothing to spend. No way I'm going near Capdevila if I have a budget.

No better than 7th unless both Gerrard and Torres have great seasons.

I think playing two up front, attacking shit teams, and having someone who can pass the ball in midfield would have given us an extra ten points this season. You're entitled to disagree.

Maybe I should have taken the £20M fantasy option, then I can get a proper centre back and a half decent striker as well.

Edited by zigackly

Martinez is the player we should have signed last season,

Good shout that, although I don't think we could have afforded him instead of Aquilani.

I think Bilbao would have played similar hard ball to what we did with Real regarding Alonso.

Good shout that, although I don't think we could have afforded him instead of Aquilani.

I think Bilbao would have played similar hard ball to what we did with Real regarding Alonso.

Don't be silly, don't you know that most deals are done by paying peanuts upfront, enabling them to meet their interest repayment?

This Jovanovic might be pretty good, but how many hyped-up European 'stars' has Rafa signed in the past three years that have done anything?

Torres is literally the only one. I don't have high hopes for Jovanovic either based on the fact we're getting him free.

There's also the fact that Rafa signs people and plays them out of position. Babel, Kuyt, Lucas being the most obvious examples of this bonkers side to his management 'skills'.

We need wide players who have class on the ball and end product. I'd like Gareth Bale or David Silva. I'd love Lennon on the right too. I don't think people realise how wank we are on that right wing. Dirk Kuyt's shocking first touch and Maxi Rodriguez' all-round rubbishness are all we have at the moment.

Priority number 1 is a striker, though, obvs.

Ok piscinin got me and it is a gigantic pisstake, but I find these kinds of threads totally facile so I thought I'd try a new angle on the mistakes we made last season instead of taking it seriously. Like I said, someone like Martinez would have been a much better option than Aquilani, and I'm unconvinced we got anywhere near value for money on Johnson.

In reality this summer, I would sell any dross I can and try to get the best forward I can afford, but it's just patching up a squad which isn't really good enough any more to challenge for the title.

The key to coming top four next season will be to take more points against the shit teams who we really should have been beating this season, which does mean attacking them fungus, yes.

Unless we get investment, it's obvious we are going to be fucked in the transfer market. What's the point in playing FM2011? We need to manage with the resources we have. Something Rafa has already admitted we failed to do.

Guest PurpleNose

Assuming we'd get £2m + anything recouped (as its surely the most realistic of the three options) I'd -

Sell/Release -

Cavalieri, Riera, Aurelio, Babel, Skrtel, Degen, Plessis, El Zhar, Hansen, Martin, Bruna, Spearing, Nemeth, Itandje, Darby, Threlfall, Ecclestone, Simon, Weijl, Oldfield, Mendy, Duran, Brouwer and Saric.

Which would bring in about £25m/£30m, and lower the wages by about £200k/£250k p/w.

Sign an experienced keeper on a free - Pollitt, Taylor (Maik), Warner. Someone like that. They'd be purely back up to Reina. Gulasci would play in the League Cup.

Sign Capdevila on a free. Or someone similar. Experienced, not injury prone. Someone to take the burden off Insua. Would rotate the two.

Sign a proper left winger. £5m/£10m worth. Maybe Petrov. I'd want someone with experience of our league, pace, and a good cross on him.

Sign a striker. Llorente, Negredo. Someone of that sort of quality. £10m/£15m.

GK- Reina, New Keeper, Gulasci

RB- Johnson, Kelly

LB- Insua, New Left Back

CB- Carragher, Agger, Krygiakos, Ayala, San Jose

RM - Maxi, Benayoun, Amoo

LM - Jovanovic, New Left Midfielder

CM - Mascherano, Lucas, Aquilani, Gerrard

ST - Torres, Kuyt, Pacheco, New Striker, N'Gog.

Kuyt would never play right midfield again. Gerrard would go back to central midfield, although we'd play 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-2 so wouldn't have his current position anyway. Possibly try Johnson at right midfield in some games.

Also fire about half the members of staff. Macia, most of the other scouts, Pellegrino, the baby sitter, probably a few others doing fuck all.

I'd also ban clipboards.

Fucking easy this shit. Probably win the league by about 30 points.

I can't be bothered to do the whole thing but I will say that I think Darby will come back from his loan move tougher and more confident and will line up alongside Kelly in the first team squad. Maybe Spearing too.

Also, on Cava, I would sell in January. After we've given Gulasci a try in the LC to see if he can cope. If he can, then sell Cava.

Other than that, there are some pretty obvious players who should be heading out: Riera, Degen, Plessis, El Zhar, Aurelio, Itandje and San Jose (only because I believe we already have a price agreed). I would also have thought that clubs should be looking at Martin as he has had a few successful loans now, maybe Threlfall too. There's also a list of players I would've cry about leaving: Babel, Yossi, Insua and N'Gog, although I wouldn't want them to go particularly.

In... We need a left back (no real idea, although Figeroa could do the trick, Warnock would be nice...). Jovo is on his way. I'd like Krasic and Raul as well. If I could name a dream signing, it would be Milner. Fleck and Wilson from Rangers would also be great signings.

Irwin out on loan and I'd send Duran out, he has a season to prove he can cope with pro football. Nemeth on loan to a EPL, Eredivisie, French league or Liga club.

looks like I pretty much did do the whole thing... may as well go the whole way

My ideal

GK: Reina, Cava, Gulasci

DR: Johnson, Darby, Kelly

DL: Warnock, Insua

DC: Carra, Kyrg, Ayala, Agger, Skrtel, Wilson

MC: Mascha, Gerrard, Lucas, Spearing, Aquilani

MR: Milner, Maxi, Krasic

ML: Babel, Fleck, Jovo

FC: Torres, Raul, N'Gog, Pacheco

There's not going to be any type of decent outcome unless there's money. We could all gives our ideas of what we could do if there's no cash to spend but none of it will look too good. That's why it's so important that G&H are actually stepping aside shortly and we can look at getting new owners in.

There's several months until next season starts so it's possible it could happen, but if not, there's not going to be a good outcome at all unless either Rafa or whoever's next turns into or is already a complete genius once the window is open this summer.

We just have to believe this madness will end soon. Storms don't last forever.

I can't be bothered to do the whole thing but I will say that I think Darby will come back from his loan move tougher and more confident and will line up alongside Kelly in the first team squad. Maybe Spearing too.

Also, on Cava, I would sell in January. After we've given Gulasci a try in the LC to see if he can cope. If he can, then sell Cava.

Other than that, there are some pretty obvious players who should be heading out: Riera, Degen, Plessis, El Zhar, Aurelio, Itandje and San Jose (only because I believe we already have a price agreed). I would also have thought that clubs should be looking at Martin as he has had a few successful loans now, maybe Threlfall too. There's also a list of players I would've cry about leaving: Babel, Yossi, Insua and N'Gog, although I wouldn't want them to go particularly.

In... We need a left back (no real idea, although Figeroa could do the trick, Warnock would be nice...). Jovo is on his way. I'd like Krasic and Raul as well. If I could name a dream signing, it would be Milner. Fleck and Wilson from Rangers would also be great signings.

Irwin out on loan and I'd send Duran out, he has a season to prove he can cope with pro football. Nemeth on loan to a EPL, Eredivisie, French league or Liga club.

looks like I pretty much did do the whole thing... may as well go the whole way

My ideal

GK: Reina, Cava, Gulasci

DR: Johnson, Darby, Kelly

DL: Warnock, Insua

DC: Carra, Kyrg, Ayala, Agger, Skrtel, Wilson

MC: Mascha, Gerrard, Lucas, Spearing, Aquilani

MR: Milner, Maxi, Krasic

ML: Babel, Fleck, Jovo

FC: Torres, Raul, N'Gog, Pacheco

Milner - That would be ace, he's great in centre mid and on either wing. A bit unrealistic though, how much do you think he would cost?

Fleck - Heard good things about him, but don't really know anything about him. What type of player is he? What kind of standard is he at currently, would he be back up, first team, or impact sub? What kind of price would it take to get him?

Raul - Not sure about him. He was obviously a fantastic player in his prime, and still a good goalscorer. But the problem is, how will he be used? I can't see us buying 2 strikers in the summer aswell as Jovo, so the one that we do bring in will have to be back-up to Torres, and play up-front on his own for a lot of his games. I think Raul would be a poor option to lead the line when Torres is out, but he would be great if we wanted to play him upfront with Torres.

If we had the money I'd sign Bale £18m or Figuera £7m, Martinez £23m, Krasic £14m and £15m on a triker christ know who though. So with Figuera (spelling) that's £59m.....there's no way we can raise that through sales - Babel £10m, Aqua £12m, Rieira £6m, then we'd start cutting too deep if we also sold Benny for £8m, Lucas for £7m and Kuyt for £12m. Quite simply, as most of us know, we're fucked if we don't get a higher than normal budget.