You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Young Manager

Thants

I wouldn't mind Laudrup, He prefers football on the ground with quick attacking players. He also promotes the youth from the academy to the first team. After three managers who prefer a more conservative approach to football. It would be nice to see a team which embraces pass and move football.

Damn shame that is.

Here's a list of the top performing managers according to the League Managers Association (LMA). It's very up to date. It's nice to see Chris Hughton doing well. I think Newcastle should have stuck with him instead of asking Shearer to relegate them, he should bring them straight back up which I doubt would have happened under Shearer (but I digress).

Link is here, friends:

League Managers Association

The LMA Managers' Performance table was devised to allow managers from every level of League football to test themselves against one another.

Every competitive game counts towards a manager's individual score in the League. Points are awarded for victories and draws, with results away from home scoring higher.

Points for clean sheets and goals-scored accumulate throughout the season, whilst a team's winning margin also counts towards the total.

This table is for the 3rd Quarter in season 2009 - 2010 up to 05/03/2010.

Pos Div Manager Club P W D GS CS WM KOM PTS TT

scores

1 C Brian McDermott Reading 6 44 0 12 1 9 17 83 138

2 P Carlo Ancelotti Chelsea 9 42 0 17 3 12 39 113 126

3 1 Paul Lambert Norwich City 10 90 0 18 4 13 0 125 125

4 2 Keith Hill Rochdale 8 54 11 16 4 12 0 97 121

5 2 Ian Sampson Northampton Town 10 80 5 17 6 13 0 121 121

6 P Sir Alex Ferguson CBE Manchester United 10 40 12 18 4 15 28 117 117

7 1 Danny Wilson Swindon Town 10 62 17 20 4 13 0 116 116

8 C Chris Hughton Newcastle United 10 52 11 19 2 13 16 113 113

9 2 Paul Simpson Shrewsbury Town 9 64 12 12 4 8 0 100 111

10 1 Alan Pardew Southampton 11 32 24 15 3 11 37 122 111

11 P Arsene Wenger OBE Arsenal 10 54 11 14 4 9 15 107 107

12 1 Kenny Jackett Millwall 9 64 5 11 4 8 2 94 104

13 2 Alan Knill Bury 10 64 17 10 5 6 0 102 102

14 P Tony Pulis Stoke City 10 32 16 12 1 5 32 98 98

15 C Paulo Sousa Swansea City 10 54 22 9 6 6 1 98 98

16 P Harry Redknapp Tottenham Hotspur 9 32 10 7 4 6 28 87 97

17 P Martin O'Neill Aston Villa 10 10 21 6 3 3 53 96 96

18 C Kevin Blackwell Sheffield United 9 40 5 12 3 7 16 83 92

19 C Roberto Di Matteo West Brom 11 32 18 12 2 5 31 100 91

20 C Nigel Pearson Leicester City 11 44 17 13 3 9 14 100 91

Good little historical record that TK, granted the auld lies damn lies and statistics can be pulled out, but it's intere4sting to note that last year's LMA manager of the year doesn't appear on any of the league tables, whilst he's been in the uk. Granted there are managers like warnock from lower dvisions who make a number of appearances as they have a great deal of success at that level, but even withing the premiership there are the same names that come up time and time again, but royston doesn't get a solitary hit.

I'd suggest that if were looking to appoint a manager with english experience, you'd want him to have a had a good few appearances on the league tables - whether quarterly or end of year - as it is better proof of credentials than some arbitrarily awarded manager of the year award as voted for by peers.

• 3 weeks later...

BBC - Paul Fletcher: Poyet's Brighton look rock solid

Poyet's Brighton look rock solid

Post categories: Football

Paul Fletcher | 11:51 UK time, Wednesday, 3 November 2010

At the Withdean Stadium.

Brighton and Hove Albion have not played in the top flight of English football since 1983 but the Seagulls look in excellent shape to make a long-term push for the Premier League.

The suggestion might seem like a knee-jerk reaction to their great start to the current season but the club appear to have all the necessary ingredients for success.

They are eight points clear at the top of the League One table, possess an excellent young manager on a long-term contract in 42-year-old Gus Poyet and will end 14 years of nomadic existence when they move into their new 22,500-capacity stadium at Falmer next season. And with no other Football League club in Sussex, they also have a large catchment area.

Poyet was appointed manager of Brighton on 10 November 2009. Photo: Getty Images

Tuesday marked the final league game of Poyet's first year in charge and the impact he has made on the Seagulls squad was clear to see.

Brighton defeated Exeter 3-0, wearing down their opponents with a high-tempo brand of passing football that was as easy on the eye as it was dangerously effective.

Poyet likes to play with a back four but full-backs Marcos Painter and Inigo Calderon spent more time attacking than defending, which allowed Elliott Bennett to drift inside from right midfield without his side losing their shape. The Seagulls were content to pass the ball around in deep areas until space opened up in front of them but when it did they struck with speed of thought and execution.

Tuesday's result means that Brighton have scored 12 unanswered goals in their last four fixtures to open daylight at the top of the table.

"Since I came here with assistant manager Mauricio Taricco, we have worked really hard to get to the point where we are now, to prove that our way works," said Poyet, who took the helm of a club in the lower reaches of the table when he replaced Russell Slade last year.

"We need to prove that for 46 games - and that is more difficult - but the important thing is that we believe in this way."

Not everyone is completely happy. Some frustrated fans called for Albion to "launch it" during the 1-1 home draw with Bournemouth in early October. Poyet showed a steely resolve by suggesting after the match that if supporters wanted a change of style when their club are top of the league then they will need to find a new manager.

But, generally speaking, his first 12 months at the helm have been met with widespread approval. I canvassed the opinion of fans in a 606 thread and thought a comment from nathanjonesleftsock was particularly telling. He said: "On the way back from the 3-0 win at Peterborough on Saturday my dad claimed this is the best Albion side he has ever seen football-wise in 40-odd years of following the club."

Poyet, who was previously assistant manager to Dennis Wise at Swindon and Leeds as well as to Juande Ramos at Tottenham, has attempted to enforce the same style of play at every level of the club.

"The four-year contract signed in the summer has given me the chance to look at the situation in a different way," added Poyet, who initially arrived on an 18-month deal.

"I can plan for the future. It is not like I only care about the first team - I care about everything. We are Brighton and we have got an identity about the way we play."

He has introduced a development squad to bridge the gap between the youth team and the first team. Training sessions with the senior squad are short - generally between 75 and 90 minutes - but extremely intense. The former Chelsea and Spurs midfielder has also remodelled the scouting network and brought in a full-time video analyst.

Reflecting on his first year in charge, Poyet said: "The key for me is that the players now understand and make decisions influenced by the way we want to play. They are convinced now it is the right way for us."

Poyet, nicknamed Radio at Real Zaragoza because he never stopped talking, is an extremely likeable man, with an engaging and charismatic personality. Online subscriptions to the Seagulls' post-match video interviews have apparently gone through the roof since he took over, while I thought that it was to his huge credit that he took time out to chat at length to some media students after Tuesday's fixture.

Yet it would be a mistake to think that he is a soft touch, possibly lacking the ruthless streak necessary to succeed in management. Despite watching his team play Exeter off the park, he said that his players needed to be more clinical in front of goal.

And he showed that he will not be undermined when a contract dispute developed with striker Nicky Forster last season. The 37-year-old frontman went public with his frustration and was swiftly dropped. He finished the season on loan to Charlton.

Poyet never won a league title during his playing career but said it would be "perfection" if the Seagulls did so this season so that Falmer would host Championship football when it opened for the 2011-12 campaign.

Construction at Falmer is at an advanced stage. Photo: Brighton & Hove Albion

Earlier on Tuesday, I had a look at the new ground. It brought to mind a cross between the Reebok Stadium at Bolton and a smaller version of Wembley minus the arch.

The design might not be staggeringly original - falling roughly in line with plenty of modern English grounds - but it was nonetheless impressive, framed by the rolling hills of the South Downs. And to supporters of Brighton, who have been without a permanent home since the Goldstone Ground was sold in 1997, it must seem like the most beautiful building in the world.

It will hold an initial 22,500, with the potential to add another tier to the East Stand. The club have already sold almost 2,500 corporate seats and are hopeful that season tickets will triple from their current figure of 5,000.

The contrast with their home at the Withdean Stadium, an athletics venue where Brighton have played since 1999, could not be more stark. Most of the stands at the Withdean are temporary; all are separated from the pitch by a running track, while the away end is a good 50 metres behind a goal. Leaving for Falmer will be like moving from darkness into light.

The £93m construction cost has been funded almost entirely by chairman Tony Bloom, a lifelong fan of Albion. His grandfather, Harry, was the club's vice-chairman who played a key role in bringing Brian Clough and Peter Taylor to the Seagulls back in 1973.

Bloom is perhaps best known as a poker player nicknamed the Lizard after one opponent suggested he was so cool under pressure that he must have alligator blood. But he is a hard-headed businessman with a big property portfolio, although he says his investment in the south-coast outfit was made with his heart rather than his head. For Brighton fans, his decision must rate as a huge slice of good fortune.

In addition to his funding of the stadium, it was his decision to appoint Poyet. It was arguably a gamble at the time but it is starting to look like a very shrewd move.

I am told that some Brighton fans have started to wonder how long they can keep Poyet before he is snapped up by a bigger club. But he still has much to prove and on Tuesday was talking about a long-term commitment to his current employer.

"A manager like Jose Mourinho might be trying to win league titles in many different countries," said Poyet. "But for most managers, when everything is working well at a club then the dream is to remain there for many, many years. Why not?"

After years of short-term planning and scrambling for survival, it finally seems as though the Seagulls are ready to take off.

You can follow me throughout the season at twitter.com/Paul__Fletcher

BBC - Paul Fletcher: Poyet's Brighton look rock solid

Poyet's Brighton look rock solid

Post categories: Football

Paul Fletcher | 11:51 UK time, Wednesday, 3 November 2010

At the Withdean Stadium.

Brighton and Hove Albion have not played in the top flight of English football since 1983 but the Seagulls look in excellent shape to make a long-term push for the Premier League.

The suggestion might seem like a knee-jerk reaction to their great start to the current season but the club appear to have all the necessary ingredients for success.

They are eight points clear at the top of the League One table, possess an excellent young manager on a long-term contract in 42-year-old Gus Poyet and will end 14 years of nomadic existence when they move into their new 22,500-capacity stadium at Falmer next season. And with no other Football League club in Sussex, they also have a large catchment area.

Poyet was appointed manager of Brighton on 10 November 2009. Photo: Getty Images

Tuesday marked the final league game of Poyet's first year in charge and the impact he has made on the Seagulls squad was clear to see.

Brighton defeated Exeter 3-0, wearing down their opponents with a high-tempo brand of passing football that was as easy on the eye as it was dangerously effective.

Poyet likes to play with a back four but full-backs Marcos Painter and Inigo Calderon spent more time attacking than defending, which allowed Elliott Bennett to drift inside from right midfield without his side losing their shape. The Seagulls were content to pass the ball around in deep areas until space opened up in front of them but when it did they struck with speed of thought and execution.

Tuesday's result means that Brighton have scored 12 unanswered goals in their last four fixtures to open daylight at the top of the table.

"Since I came here with assistant manager Mauricio Taricco, we have worked really hard to get to the point where we are now, to prove that our way works," said Poyet, who took the helm of a club in the lower reaches of the table when he replaced Russell Slade last year.

"We need to prove that for 46 games - and that is more difficult - but the important thing is that we believe in this way."

Not everyone is completely happy. Some frustrated fans called for Albion to "launch it" during the 1-1 home draw with Bournemouth in early October. Poyet showed a steely resolve by suggesting after the match that if supporters wanted a change of style when their club are top of the league then they will need to find a new manager.

But, generally speaking, his first 12 months at the helm have been met with widespread approval. I canvassed the opinion of fans in a 606 thread and thought a comment from nathanjonesleftsock was particularly telling. He said: "On the way back from the 3-0 win at Peterborough on Saturday my dad claimed this is the best Albion side he has ever seen football-wise in 40-odd years of following the club."

Poyet, who was previously assistant manager to Dennis Wise at Swindon and Leeds as well as to Juande Ramos at Tottenham, has attempted to enforce the same style of play at every level of the club.

"The four-year contract signed in the summer has given me the chance to look at the situation in a different way," added Poyet, who initially arrived on an 18-month deal.

"I can plan for the future. It is not like I only care about the first team - I care about everything. We are Brighton and we have got an identity about the way we play."

He has introduced a development squad to bridge the gap between the youth team and the first team. Training sessions with the senior squad are short - generally between 75 and 90 minutes - but extremely intense. The former Chelsea and Spurs midfielder has also remodelled the scouting network and brought in a full-time video analyst.

Reflecting on his first year in charge, Poyet said: "The key for me is that the players now understand and make decisions influenced by the way we want to play. They are convinced now it is the right way for us."

Poyet, nicknamed Radio at Real Zaragoza because he never stopped talking, is an extremely likeable man, with an engaging and charismatic personality. Online subscriptions to the Seagulls' post-match video interviews have apparently gone through the roof since he took over, while I thought that it was to his huge credit that he took time out to chat at length to some media students after Tuesday's fixture.

Yet it would be a mistake to think that he is a soft touch, possibly lacking the ruthless streak necessary to succeed in management. Despite watching his team play Exeter off the park, he said that his players needed to be more clinical in front of goal.

And he showed that he will not be undermined when a contract dispute developed with striker Nicky Forster last season. The 37-year-old frontman went public with his frustration and was swiftly dropped. He finished the season on loan to Charlton.

Poyet never won a league title during his playing career but said it would be "perfection" if the Seagulls did so this season so that Falmer would host Championship football when it opened for the 2011-12 campaign.

Construction at Falmer is at an advanced stage. Photo: Brighton & Hove Albion

Earlier on Tuesday, I had a look at the new ground. It brought to mind a cross between the Reebok Stadium at Bolton and a smaller version of Wembley minus the arch.

The design might not be staggeringly original - falling roughly in line with plenty of modern English grounds - but it was nonetheless impressive, framed by the rolling hills of the South Downs. And to supporters of Brighton, who have been without a permanent home since the Goldstone Ground was sold in 1997, it must seem like the most beautiful building in the world.

It will hold an initial 22,500, with the potential to add another tier to the East Stand. The club have already sold almost 2,500 corporate seats and are hopeful that season tickets will triple from their current figure of 5,000.

The contrast with their home at the Withdean Stadium, an athletics venue where Brighton have played since 1999, could not be more stark. Most of the stands at the Withdean are temporary; all are separated from the pitch by a running track, while the away end is a good 50 metres behind a goal. Leaving for Falmer will be like moving from darkness into light.

The £93m construction cost has been funded almost entirely by chairman Tony Bloom, a lifelong fan of Albion. His grandfather, Harry, was the club's vice-chairman who played a key role in bringing Brian Clough and Peter Taylor to the Seagulls back in 1973.

Bloom is perhaps best known as a poker player nicknamed the Lizard after one opponent suggested he was so cool under pressure that he must have alligator blood. But he is a hard-headed businessman with a big property portfolio, although he says his investment in the south-coast outfit was made with his heart rather than his head. For Brighton fans, his decision must rate as a huge slice of good fortune.

In addition to his funding of the stadium, it was his decision to appoint Poyet. It was arguably a gamble at the time but it is starting to look like a very shrewd move.

I am told that some Brighton fans have started to wonder how long they can keep Poyet before he is snapped up by a bigger club. But he still has much to prove and on Tuesday was talking about a long-term commitment to his current employer.

"A manager like Jose Mourinho might be trying to win league titles in many different countries," said Poyet. "But for most managers, when everything is working well at a club then the dream is to remain there for many, many years. Why not?"

After years of short-term planning and scrambling for survival, it finally seems as though the Seagulls are ready to take off.

You can follow me throughout the season at twitter.com/Paul__Fletcher

Looks like you spotted his talent early mate. Well in :)

I'm not the first one to say this one but Unai Emery, keep your eyes on this name a he's done well with three clubs yet but has not hit the spotlight as yet. Not proven but potential appears to be there and yes, young.

yeah i would say him aswell.

Then again looking at osme of the other names mentioned on here..i might aswell put myself forward. if thatss the level we are looking at.