You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

so what's this - did our manager say in that interview that our expectations were too high?

go get fucked rafa and take your shite football and your real fans with you to juve if that's the case.

gerrard's quote was also interesting recognising that the lack of chances we're making is a problem. its only a matter of time before gerrard and rafa come to blows if it stays the way it is.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Has he been binned Andy?

Not been binned, shoved fairly firmly in a sideways/downwards direction.

They've taken his job away from him, made up another role and given it a fancy job title

Rafa is a cunt cos we've a new press officer?

This place is a joke now. Not even given valid criticisms.

Sarb24 is a cunt.

Read the article you mug. I don't want to start another thread using the same article. Rafa says expectations were too high in the summer. I've given valid criticisms of him and his quotes

better than the old rafapologist quote of he has had no money

fucking nobhead

In what sense Andy? Not pre-empting/cutting out stories? Not reacting to stories quick enough?

Not being contactable when comment or guidance is sought on something that might be a little "tricky", not really building a relationship with the press, bar the local lads, phones not being on outside office hours (Who does that remind you of?), things like that.

Not that I agree with it, but you need to build a relationship with the press, bar one notable exception, and treat them all as equally as you can.

Man City are reputedly very, very good with the press pack, from sharing out access to players and staff, to the standard of thier media suites and even the quality of the food they lay on for the media.

As I said, none of this should really matter, but it does have an influence, however small.

For instance, say something happened, nothing major but something that could be spun as such, at the moment alot of the press lads have so little to lose they are going to run with whatever gives them the biggest headline, but if you give them something to lose, like an on the record with staff or a player every now and again, they might be a touch more reluctant to run something that was overly negative, save losing their "privileges".

As Mick correctly pointed out, the club from the top down has been stuck with a "Bare minimum" attitute for years, from being the last Club in the premier league to have their own website, the lack of stock and the shop and it not being open the night of Istanbul, to the depressingly under ambitious plans for expansion and the local area.

Edited by Ulysses Everett McGill

Not being contactable when comment or guidance is sought on something that might be a little "tricky", not really building a relationship with the press, bar the local lads, things like that.

Not that I agree with it, but you need to build a relationship with the press, bar one notable exception, and treat them all as equally as you can.

Man City are reputedly very, very good with the press pack, from sharing out access to players and staff, to the standard of thier media suites and even the quality of the food they lay on for the media.

As I said, none of this should really matter, but it does have an influence, however small.

Interesting you say that. I wonder if this is contributing to the press' constant negative coverage of the club ?

Penciled in at the bottom of this article:

Let's be more attacking now, says Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard | Football | guardian.co.uk

Steven Gerrard has called on Liverpool to show more adventure in their quest for a top-four finish and Europa League triumph that would, according to manager Rafael Benítez, erase the disappointments of this campaign.

Liverpool advanced into the last 16 of the Europa League on Thursday night with a 3-1 win over Unirea Urziceni in Bucharest and set up a meeting with the French side Lille. It was the first time in five months that Benítez's team have scored more than two goals in a game and was also notable for the 33rd European goal of Gerrard's Liverpool career, taking him clear of Alan Shearer in the list of all-time British goalscorers in continental competition.

Victory in Romania came at a price for Liverpool, who yesterday confirmed Martin Skrtel suffered a broken metatarsal against Unirea and will also be without his fellow central defender, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, due to suspension against Blackburn Rovers tomorrow. The length of Skrtel's absence is still to be determined. But Gerrard believes the improvement in Liverpool's attacking edge at the Steaua Stadium has set a standard the team must continue to meet to secure qualification for next season's Champions League.

"It was slightly worrying that we were not creating enough chances in recent matches," admitted the Liverpool captain. "But that's what made the performance against Unirea so pleasing. Now we've got to get the balance right between now and the end of the season. We've got to be good defensively but have a bit of bottle and be a bit risky in the final third as well. You have got to keep making chances."

Gerrard said he is gradually returning to form after an injury-plagued campaign. "I've suffered injuries at bad times and when I have been coming back from injuries, my form hasn't clicked straight away. But I can see signs that it is coming back," said the midfielder, who will captain England in the friendly against Egypt next week. "The target now is to try and win the Europa League and finish fourth. That would be a bit of a nice way to finish a disappointing season."

On paper Liverpool have an inviting Premier League run-in and with Fernando Torres returning from injury, albeit expected to start only on the bench against Blackburn, plus Yossi Benayoun fit again, Benítez is confident of delivering another strong finale to achieve fourth place. The Liverpool manager said: "We are normally strong towards the end of the season. If we can finish in the top four and do well in the Europa League then maybe things earlier in the season will be forgotten easier."

Benítez reiterated his belief that pre-season expectations on Liverpool bore no relation to the financial reality of a club that spent only what it raised through player sales last summer. He said: "We know it has not been the best season but that is because the expectations from some people were too high anyway. That's the main difference for me. But if we can improve now, and end up in the top four, it will have been a very good achievement – even more so if we stay in the Europa League to the end.

"People do have short memories and if we can finish well, it can all change. People think of one game, or maybe just two or three and no more, but that is normal in football now. When you have been in Europe for a long while, like we have, we know you just have to keep going and working hard."

Liverpool have appointed Manchester City's former head of communications, Paul Tyrrell, as their new head of press

Marvellous. Its clear the guy is turning into Houllier more and more with every passing day, don't manage Liverpool then if expectations are too high. Is it too much to expect good open football rather than the shite served up this season, even our wins are battling ones. Everton play better football and overachieve on a lower budget and you don't hear Moyes making half the excuses Rafa does. He has amplified the excuse mentallity inflicted on the club by Houllier. Imagine Shankly saying we can't do this, we can't do that, no wonder the player are downbeat with him harping on all the time. Hopefully a player will come out in the press and counteract the excuses he has come up with once again.

Edited by JMARKH

Interesting you say that. I wonder if this is contributing to the press' constant negative coverage of the club ?
You beat me to it. There does seem to be agenda within certain parts of the media to see this club fail. Whiskey beak has been talking to the media like shit for years but they crawl back for more. Why ?

I don't think we get overly-negative press, but it isn't as good as what it possibly could be.

Every team in the country think they get a bad press

We've got away with alot and have had quite a bit of good-will because we are still a massive name, and the press need us just as much as we need them, but we've traded solely on that name for too long.

Just a case of being a little more professional, little bit of carrot and stick treatment with them can work wonders

Ferguson gets away with so much, because they (the media) have far to much to lose (access wise) by turning on him.

You beat me to it. There does seem to be agenda within certain parts of the media to see this club fail. Whiskey beak has been talking to the media like shit for years but they crawl back for more. Why ?

No idea. Some of the things he has come out with are astonishing but they all seem to be afraid of him for some reason.

Although I do hope this is true:

Ferguson told to end BBC boycott - Premier League' date=' Football - The Independent[/url']

It is six years since Sir Alex Ferguson last spoke regularly to the BBC and three years since he described them as "arrogant beyond belief", but from next season the Manchester United manager will have to renew acquaintances with the corporation after the Premier League underlined its determination to hold its members to a new agreement on giving interviews to rights holders.

At the last AGM, before the start of this season, the clubs voted in favour of managers being obliged to be made available to talk to television and radio and if they fail to comply the Premier League are willing to penalise offenders, enforcing the regulation with financial penalties if need be. A first offence would be followed by a warning with further breaches incurring a fine of increasing magnitude.

Harry Redknapp and Sam Allardyce have also boycotted the BBC in the past, but nothing to match Ferguson's sustained fall out. It began in the wake of Father and Son, a documentary on BBC Three in 2004 that made allegations over Ferguson's son, Jason, taking advantage of his father's influence while working as a football agent. Ferguson Jnr was never found guilty of any wrongdoing. Ferguson Snr determined that he would never talk to the BBC again – although a BBC Match of the Day camera crew were allowed into the media conference this week ahead of tomorrow's Carling Cup final. The game is to be shown live on BBC One as well as Sky.

n 2007, while the guest of honour at an "Audience with..." evening in a theatre on his hometown of Glasgow, Ferguson made his most bitter attack on the BBC. "I think the BBC is the kind of company that never apologise and they never will apologise," he said.

Match of the Day, who point out that the original cause for Ferguson's ire was not of their making, have long made do with his assistants, first Carlos Quieroz and now Mike Phelan, and have not been pressing the Premier League to ensure Ferguson talks to them. They would though welcome his presence on the programme once more and describe their "off-court" relations with the Scot as cordial.

Convincing their manager to bury the hatchet is one thing, but persuading their supporters to get behind the club is proving even more tricky for the Old Trafford hierarchy.