You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kirkby knocked back.

Dicko

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Liverpool fan I am disappointed that Everton's Kirkby proposals have been knocked back. As I have made clear in the groundshare thread, I'm convinced that the powers-that-be, both on a local and national level, do not want to see any progress or development in the Merseyside area, as it seems they might actually have to get off their arses and do some work.

This is a city large enough to support 2 of the biggest clubs in the country, each with their own patch, one of which has a worldwide catchment area to bring economic growth to the region.

Look at London, a city though whilst much larger than Liverpool, has a ridiculous level of congestion. Yet London has seen the building of a new stadium close to the old one (Emirates, 60000 going on 70000), the rebuilding of another (Wembley, 90000), the extension of a third (Twickenham, 82000), the development of a fourth to be used to it's maximum for a period of only 4 weeks (Olympic stadium, 80000), and plans in place for a fifth within the next 3 years (New White Hart Lane, 60000).

You cannot continue to stall and reject projects that will improve an area both aesthetically and economically, yet at the same time grumble that there are insufficient funds to aid development, thus keeping things as they are.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Not doubting Al or Robslappa at all, but I hope to god they are wrong, as my head just can't seem to get around the consequences of considering such an abomination

Not even taking into consideration that the supposed requirements of two clubs are in any way compatible.

Published design, capacity and budget are light years apart

Unless of course we are willing to sell our identity down the river for an identikit, two bit, council branded, souless, sanitised, 55,000 capacity mixed use events venue.

It's not even about Everton, it's about us, our history and our culture.

A line that has been trotted quite a few times of late and is one my favourite quotes from the great man

"First is first, second is nowhere"

Let's be clear, if those that make the decisions at Liverpool are even considering such an abortion of an idea, and let's not forget, one that would only make our erstwhile neighbours stronger, then we are settling for second best

It's one thing striving to be the best, and falling short, it is quite another to happily admit to the world that that is no longer what we do at Liverpool, for me, would herald the death knell of the club as the very fabric and foundations that the club is built upon would have been disregarded all for the sake of a cheap fix.

Robert Elstone has already cast the line this morning in regards to a groundshare, and a lack of response from the club would speak volumes

Liverpool need to address this issue, and address it now

Thanks DM

Edited by Ulysses Everett McGill

From the guardian, hardly reassuring....

Everton to consider joint stadium with Liverpool after Kirkby snub | Football | guardian.co.uk

Liverpool's own plans to build a new £350m stadium in Stanley Park have been hit by a number of delays and the project was put on hold due to the worldwide recession last year. However, the club's deputy executive director Peter Shaw played down the possibility of the city's two clubs sharing a stadium.

"It's not on our agenda at the moment," he said. "Liverpool are progressing forward with our own stadium. That is the position we are still in. The LFC stadium is quite far progressed and once the financial markets reopen for business the LFC stadium will progress further."

When asked whether the idea of a ground share with Everton could be a possibility, he said: "That's not for me to answer."

Liverpool spokesman, Peter Shaw, said that a groundshare wasn't on our agenda "at the moment". The oily cunt should have stopped at 'agenda'. Then he went on to trot out the line that our own stadium was on track and will go ahead "when the financial markets re-open". I wasn't aware that they had closed. It is this dodgy use of language that inspires this groundshare bullshit, keeps the fucking issue alive, and allows those who would dilute our footballing identity to keep their campaign in the public forum.

The question of a groundshare should be answered with an unequivocal response of "No fucking way!". Not a media friendly phrase but it would at least sum up the chances of a groundshare taking off in our city. Outsiders may feel differently, but fuck them as well.

Our main hope against this happening is the greed of the yanks and the unlikelihood that they want to wait round for years before cashing in.

Starting again with a shared stadium will probably take years because new planning consent will almost certainly be required .And the stadium income would have to be shared with everton, the council or both so that will put a big hole in the yanks' profit projections.

Our main hope against this happening is the greed of the yanks and the unlikelihood that they want to wait round for years before cashing in.

Starting again with a shared stadium will probably take years because new planning consent will almost certainly be required .And the stadium income would have to be shared with everton, the council or both so that will put a big hole in the yanks' profit projections.

Do the reasons given for rejecting the Everton proposal sound legitimate, or are the politicians interfering?

Do the reasons given for rejecting the Everton proposal sound legitimate, or are the politicians interfering?

Very legitimate. I was told a few months ago by someone working on the planning side for Tesco that it was an uphill battle and the odds were against approval.

Either that, or as with the Kings Dock, even with it handed to them on a silver platter, they still can't get the money together

On shaky ground

Phil Thompson says it would not make logistical sense for Liverpool to share a stadium with Everton.

Everton chief executive Robert Elstone has suggested the club would consider sharing a ground with their city rivals after plans for their new stadium were rejected by the Government.

The Toffees had hoped to leave Goodison Park and build a new stadium and a shopping complex at Kirkby, but after their proposals were turned down the issue of sharing a ground with Liverpool has been raised.

Liverpool's bid to build a new stadium at Stanley Park has been hit by financial problems and it could potentially make economic sense for the two clubs to share one stadium in the city.

However, former Liverpool captain Thompson is adamant that the idea is a non-starter and says he is eagerly anticipating the development of Liverpool's new stadium.

"I'm very much against it," Thompson told Sky Sports News.

"Like a lot of Evertonians and Liverpudlians I'm very proud of what we've got.

"Yes, because of the finances at Everton and at Liverpool everybody will put this back on the agenda, but seriously, no, I can't see it happening.

"I don't want it to happen and I would like to see our new stadium, hopefully when it gets built in probably August 2018, and we'll look forward to it immensely."

Arrangement

Thompson, a resident of Kirkby, says it is right that Everton's plans were rejected and says he has looked into the idea of ground sharing.

Italian clubs Inter and AC Milan share the San Siro Stadium in Italy, but Thompson says that arrangement creates problems for the ground staff with so many matches being played on the same pitch.

He also says it would be difficult to create an infrastructure for two separate clubs within one stadium.

"You've got to look at it," he continued.

"I've spoken long and hard to people at Liverpool about the San Siro and it's not just about the football pitch itself which takes a hell of a battering.

"Come December the pitches are awful, they have to keep changing the football pitch.

"But it's also about how you structure the ground; the megastores, the offices and things like that. It doesn't actually work out when you sit down and you think about it.

"I just don't think it is relevant at this time. Let's sort out which way they both want to go.

"Everton now is not coming to my town in Kirkby, which I believe is the right decision.

"At Liverpool, I would like to think the finances will come up. We need a stadium probably more than what Everton do."

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | On shaky ground

On shaky ground

Phil Thompson says it would not make logistical sense for Liverpool to share a stadium with Everton.

Everton chief executive Robert Elstone has suggested the club would consider sharing a ground with their city rivals after plans for their new stadium were rejected by the Government.

The Toffees had hoped to leave Goodison Park and build a new stadium and a shopping complex at Kirkby, but after their proposals were turned down the issue of sharing a ground with Liverpool has been raised.

Liverpool's bid to build a new stadium at Stanley Park has been hit by financial problems and it could potentially make economic sense for the two clubs to share one stadium in the city.

However, former Liverpool captain Thompson is adamant that the idea is a non-starter and says he is eagerly anticipating the development of Liverpool's new stadium.

"I'm very much against it," Thompson told Sky Sports News.

"Like a lot of Evertonians and Liverpudlians I'm very proud of what we've got.

"Yes, because of the finances at Everton and at Liverpool everybody will put this back on the agenda, but seriously, no, I can't see it happening.

"I don't want it to happen and I would like to see our new stadium, hopefully when it gets built in probably August 2018, and we'll look forward to it immensely."

Arrangement

Thompson, a resident of Kirkby, says it is right that Everton's plans were rejected and says he has looked into the idea of ground sharing.

Italian clubs Inter and AC Milan share the San Siro Stadium in Italy, but Thompson says that arrangement creates problems for the ground staff with so many matches being played on the same pitch.

He also says it would be difficult to create an infrastructure for two separate clubs within one stadium.

"You've got to look at it," he continued.

"I've spoken long and hard to people at Liverpool about the San Siro and it's not just about the football pitch itself which takes a hell of a battering.

"Come December the pitches are awful, they have to keep changing the football pitch.

"But it's also about how you structure the ground; the megastores, the offices and things like that. It doesn't actually work out when you sit down and you think about it.

"I just don't think it is relevant at this time. Let's sort out which way they both want to go.

"Everton now is not coming to my town in Kirkby, which I believe is the right decision.

"At Liverpool, I would like to think the finances will come up. We need a stadium probably more than what Everton do."

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | On shaky ground

HAHA.

• 4 weeks later...