You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kenny

ARBELOA EYEING CONFEDERATIONS CUP GLORY

Alvaro Arbeloa insists Spain head into this weekend's Confederations Cup tournament in South Africa full of confidence.

The European champions begin the competition with a fixture against New Zealand in Rustenburg on Sunday evening, with Arbeloa joining Anfield teammates Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Albert Riera and Pepe Reina in La Roja's 23-man squad.

The Liverpool full-back believes the calibre of players at the disposal of coach Vincent del Bosque make Spain one of the favourites for the trophy.

"We have some amazing players and are playing really, really well," Arbeloa told LFC Magazine.

"I think we have the best midfield in the world with the likes of Xavi, Alonso, Fabregas and Iniesta. Add to that players like David Silva and then Fernando Torres and David Villa up front, it's not bad is it?

"We have a really good squad. When you win a title like the European Championships it gives you a huge boost and everything becomes easier.

"We have a lot of confidence in ourselves at the moment."

Arbeloa has established himself as an integral component in Rafa Benitez's squad since arriving at Anfield in January 2007.

The 26-year-old feels playing regularly for a club of Liverpool's stature has presented him with more opportunities with the Spanish national team.

"It is true that to be here and playing for a club like Liverpool has helped me break into the Spanish squad," he added.

"Playing in the Champions League and Premier League has been really helpful for me.

"I am really happy to be in the Spanish squad and playing against the best teams in the world such as England, Italy and Brazil.

"Hopefully we will do well at the Confederations Cup and then show what we can do at the World Cup next year."

I'll be watching, always funny to see that lot get their arses handed to em. Torres hat-trick.

I dunno about that, they seem to have this amazing capacity to make Torres play crap. Del Bosque left him on the other day "to get him a goal". Makes him sound like some charity case rather than the best striker in the world.

I dunno about that, they seem to have this amazing capacity to make Torres play crap. Del Bosque left him on the other day "to get him a goal". Makes him sound like some charity case rather than the best striker in the world.

People talk about his partnership with Villa, but i dont buy it.

Villa is great in that partnership but Torres is hardly noticeable.

I think its more to do with how great the service is to Villa from midfield, and less to do with the front two.

Who the fuck is going to get close to Spain in the World Cup next year, let alone who can beat them at this Confederations Cup? New Zealand? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oceania's (hahahahahahahahaha) finest.

Anyone ever heard of Archie Thompson? Didn't think so. He plays for Melbourne but has previously played for 'big' clubs like Brugge and even had a half-season at PSV while Hiddink was there so he could suss him out for Australia's World Cup squad in '06.

Anyways, last time I checked, he holds the record for the most goals scored in an international. How many, you ask? 12. 12 fucking goals in one game against the might of Solomon Islands. Oceania is a joke.

Oh, and he was dropped for the following game Australia played!

It pains me to see Torres doing the harrying and running just to see Villa the bloody goal hanging git banging em in.

Who the fuck is going to get close to Spain in the World Cup next year, let alone who can beat them at this Confederations Cup? New Zealand? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oceania's (hahahahahahahahaha) finest.

Anyone ever heard of Archie Thompson? Didn't think so. He plays for Melbourne but has previously played for 'big' clubs like Brugge and even had a half-season at PSV while Hiddink was there so he could suss him out for Australia's World Cup squad in '06.

Anyways, last time I checked, he holds the record for the most goals scored in an international. How many, you ask? 12. 12 fucking goals in one game against the might of Solomon Islands. Oceania is a joke.

Oh, and he was dropped for the following game Australia played!

He scored 13. And it was America Samoa not Solomon Islands (may be the same thing).

Oh but your right. I cannot believe how fucking shite Australia can be, yet be guaranteed places in top tournaments.

He scored 13. And it was America Samoa not Solomon Islands (may be the same thing).

Oh but your right. I cannot believe how fucking shite Australia can be, yet be guaranteed places in top tournaments.

You have a point. The way they are playing is fucking horrendous to watch. I guess it has got them this far, but I am worried when they meet real quality at the tournament itself. Could get ugly.

That stupid noise that sounds like a massive wasp coming from the crowd is a head wrecker.

Crap game, looking forward to Spain later though.

I told the missus that there was a massive swarm of wasps over the stadium and that that Iraqi lad who was rolling around after being taken out of it in the first few minutes had been stung several times.

She believed me!

Was more entertaining than the actual game anyway.

How's the new album coming along Mr.Wonder?

Haha!

Seriously, every time i've seen him he's looked alright but nothing special and certainly not worth £20M. He reminds me of Garcia and I wasn't his biggest fan at all.

I haven't seen Silva play for a few months though so whether he's improved or my perception will change I don't know. Hopefully I can say a bit more later on tonight!