You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm gonna take it in a Youtube direction, Johnny. Here's a clip of Michael Owen being a bit of a bellend.

[YOUTUBE]WqOxNspUPyE[/YOUTUBE]

Class, bit of an Alan Partridge moment that for the lad.

Owen's voice and accent always got on my tits, but he was an awesome player who carried us for years, and has spent the last few years suffering for that fackt due to being played too much as a teenager - IMO. I still think we had the best of Owen, we were a one man side for ages, and without him it'd have been a mid-table fest, and who knows if we'd ever have climbed out of it?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't bear him any real animosity but I don't care for him much as a person, insofar as you can tell what someone's like without spending time with them. Have some great memories of his goals though. I can't believe someone called him one dimensional above: he had every type of finish in him at his best as well as blistering pace, finesse, and was a great header of the ball. He didn't contribute as much when not scoring as many strikers do today, but if you had him on the pitch you always knew there was a big probability he would put away one or more chances. No way do I want him back though. His time has passed and gone.

I'm gonna take it in a Youtube direction, Johnny. Here's a clip of Michael Owen being a bit of a bellend.

[YOUTUBE]WqOxNspUPyE[/YOUTUBE]

I have not seen this until right now. How fucking out of order was Owen there? Laughing his head off, and acting a complete tit, whilst Southall is trying to help a 13 year old goalkeeper.

This isn't because he is Owen. It could be anyone and I'd think they were acting an absolute cunt.

I have not seen this until right now. How fucking out of order was Owen there? Laughing his head off, and acting a complete tit, whilst Southall is trying to help a 13 year old goalkeeper.

This isn't because he is Owen. It could be anyone and I'd think they were acting an absolute cunt.

Get out, he's just pissing about!

Pretending like he really cares and making a game out of it and acting a bit of a tit on purpose. I bet that lad thought it was the best thing that had ever happened to him.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Get out, he's just pissing about!

Pretending like he really cares and making a game out of it and acting a bit of a tit on purpose. I bet that lad thought it was the best thing that had ever happened to him.

Thats why when chastised by his fellow Welshman Southall, Owen, acting like a child who's just been told off by a headteacher, proceeds to give it the big one, but out of earshot of Southall as if the reassure his own gargantuan ego.

I loved his goals, but never warmed to him as a player. From the moment he scored that goal for England, I think we had lost him to the nation. His worst decision wasn't leaving us, it was not returning when he had the chance. I would be very disappointed if he came back, not that I think he will. Not because I hate him, I am very indifferent to him really, but because he just isn't what we need. At 29, he should be at his peak, but his peak was years and years ago.

That`s my point as well. I get the feeling the people that wants him back think we will get Owen at the level he was with us. Owen today is nowhere near the player that left. I have seen him a few times this season, and it`s painful to watch how little he offers.

We should always remember the moments, and if we want to reminice... just find a you tube clip. Owen coming back now would be a bad move for both parties.

Guest The Chimp

Some real revisionism going on in this thread. By all means castigate him for the way he left but to dismiss his play when he was with us as one-dimensional is taking the piss. I tell you something about Owen, whenever he had a one on one I was always confident he'd score - and to be fair to the lad he did more often that not. He's not arsed at Newcastle, simple as. In a decent team that creates chances for him and with his passion in the game renewed he'd still bag a hatful. I don't actually blame him for fucking off - just the manner of it. Also as RIS says his mistake was joining Newcastle, the lad should have stayed at Madrid but then he always did have this England fixation about him. As for the video - he's having a laugh. He's hardly taking the piss in a vindictive "you're shit manner" and actually commends the goalie on a good save. Fucking hell lads, think of when you play yourself and the flak you give out - this is hardly verbal abuse. Do I want him back - no, but that's not because I'm 100% sure that he's shit, it's more to do (stupidly) with not giving him and out after he lied and manipulated the situation, leaving us in the lurch five years ago.

Thats why when chastised by his fellow Welshman Southall, Owen, acting like a child who's just been told off by a headteacher, proceeds to give it the big one, but out of earshot of Southall as if the reassure his own gargantuan ego.

Seriously, to me it looks like someone with no charisma and limited social skills trying to play the fool..... and failing.

No reason to be bitter really. It's not like we are struggling is it? His career has undoubtedly took a total nose dive in the years since leaving us, to the point that he is about to go down with his team (although there is not a chance he will kick a ball in the Championship). We have gone from strength to strength since his departure. He went to win trophies, and hasn't won one, whilst we have won a European Cup and FA Cup, and been to numerous semi finals and finals. Instead of being fed numerous chances on a plate by Alonso, Garcia, Kuyt, Benayoun, Riera, Gerrard, and Torres, he has been sat infront of a midfield containing Barton, Smith, Luque and Duff.

I will always be grateful to him and could never bring myself to hate him. He was my fuckin hero when I was a kid, I watched his 2 tv series, bought his Umbro boots, had his posters, he gave me the greatest day of my life when we where stood behind his winner against Arsenal in Cardiff (Pre Istanbul obviously). But he has made his bed and fuckin let him lie on it. He is responsible for going from Ballon D'Or winner to relegation fodder. I am just totally indifferent to him now, he just doesn't bother me or even register on my radar. Sunday will hurt him more than anything, visiting us in the thick of a title race whilst his club are clinging by the bollocks. Ironically his last game ang goal for us was against Newcastle, pipping us ahead of them in to the CL. How the tables have turned.

Behave ffs. Bit of high jinx or piss take or just players not getting on. Since when has that been a crime?

Cant believe how petty some people are. If it was a.n. other striker people wouldnt give it a second thought. Simply another stick to beat Owen with. pAthetic.

owen is probably treating the kid how he was treated when older defenders probably kicked through him. You need a thick skin to make it, that kid would have loved it and the banter with his mates would have been class

I honestly dont think its even like that. Owen's such a perfectionist he sees any opportunity to hone his finishing. I really dont see why people are claiming he's out of order. If I had of been that young keeper, I'd have been well pleased just to have the chance to face Owen.

OK, so Owen goes 'easy' just for the lad, doesnt show anything when he puts the ball in the net blah, blah, blah. The same people slagging Owen for his celebrations etc would be complaining he didnt show the lad any respect because one, he shows he 'cant be arsed' or 'looks like he'd rather be somewhere else because he's not try' etc.

Like I said, its just another stick to beat him with and whatever reaction he'd have shown the same people would have slagged him off.

As for binman, is this the same binman who it recently transpires, slagged off an 11 year old rooney for continually chipping him in a pre match warm up? Get a life ffs!

Owen was just having fun with the lad in the video clip. You can't read anything into that about his character. He's just messing about and there's no animosity there. I'm certain it would have been quite a highlight in the life of a young teenage goaie.

As for whether he should ever come back, that ship has almost certainly sailed. Best not to go back. But if we did sign him on a free, as a back up striker on a modest wage, then I could see the merit in that. He could provide cover for Torres and I would still think he might get a useful 10 goals in 20 appearances over the course of a season. If that could keep Nando's hamstrings out of trouble by enabling him to be more fully rested for us, then all well and good.

In all likelihood we won't sign him though.

So how should we treat him now? I'd like to think that we could welcome him warmly when he returns by clapping for him. He scored 158 goals for us and played an important part in our history. We have not had too many better than him when he was in his prime.

As for how he left, it's all water under the bridge. We can continue to act like the woman scorned and we can continue to gloat all we like at how it has gone for him since. I can't help but feel that the more we engage in that sort of thing the more smalltime we look.

Thanks for the great memories.

Warm welcome on his return (then hammer them).

Good luck with the rest of your career.

Them's my thoughts.