You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paulo Ferreira - and other weekend games

Salou

I'm not saying they're bad at all.

I was merely stating that they aren't as brilliant as they were last season and you took that to mean that somehow i think they're some average team or something.

They're the best team in England, but they aren't as good as last season and if we go on a mad run from now until the end of the season we can catch them. Will that happen? Well the odds are heavily against it, but win tomorrow and we're still not out of it. We just have to hang in there and keep winning, then see what happens at Old Trafford.

If we go there 5 points behind them and beat them, i'll bet you everyone will start believing we can do it.

Surely they are better defensively than last year and not as good offensively? I don't think they are that far off, when you look at both.

I'll bet you I wont.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely they are better defensively than last year and not as good offensively? I don't think they are that far off, when you look at both.

I'll bet you I wont.

Yeah i'd say they probably are better definsivly this season. The record suggests that. It's been quite a feat getting that record considering they've had players like Neville, O'Shea and Evans (good player but a rookie) having to play quite a few games. However, they were very good at the back last year too and going forward they were the most devastating team in Europe by a distance. They had the most dangerous player in the world playing for them and scoring 42 goals while being supported by fit and in form Tevez and Rooney.

I think they were a better team last year. Either way, i stil think they will drop some points before the end. I just hope we are in a position to capitalise.

just saying he's shit, plays ok against lower teams but is pants against anyone that knows what they're doing....maybe not those exact words

Wow, Hansen isn't usually that unequivocal is he? I haven't seen much of young but had wondered why with his rep he hadn't been picked for England yet. Guess there are some genuine concerns about his quality, his record does seem pretty good though.

That performance by Webb yesterday was a fucking disgrace. Fucking blatant peno he had his hands all over him. Ronaldo again another sly kick and gets away with it, And people say Benitez was talking rubbish. Oh and Ronaldo can't even dive properly the cheating twat.

You know, I've just read the Observer match report by Tim Rich. It does not even MENTION the penalty incident, or indeed Ronaldo's petulant flick at Dunn. Instead it's a hymn of praise to Rooney and Ronaldo. Extraordinary. I know the Guardian has its historic roots in Manchester, but this type of self-censorship helps noone and only confirm the extent to which corruption and intimidation are endemic in the game over here. Disgraceful.

We sound so paranoid and bitter sometimes.

Well, I think this kind of naive response is part of the problem - it's hardly paranoia or bitterness, because noone is seriously suggesting a conspiracy against us in particular, as far as I can tell. What I'm saying is that the media - and press in particular- engage in self-censorship on this issue. Why is that? Because they're scared of being banned from United's facilities I guess?

How about some facts?

Over the past ten years United have had more penalties given against them in Champions League games at Old Trafford than premiership matches. Now, given the maximum number of home ties in Europe one can play is 7 in a season (assuming a team goes all the way to the semis) and 19 in the league, statistically that is extraordinary. It also suggests that foreign referees are less susceptible to intimidation, or - dare i say it - corruption.

Is it bitter and paranoid to point out the facts like these? That referee Mile Riley has given 10 penalties for United in his last 12 games at Old Trafford; referee Steve Bennett has given 5 red cards against United opponents in his last 5 games at OT.

Is it paranoid to point out that when a referee stands up to Ferguson, they get removed from United fixtures. David Elleray - then by some way Britain's finest and most respected referee - went 5 seasons without a game at Old Trafford on Ferguson's orders one can only presume. The same happened to Martin Atkinson last season.

Why are these things not investigated? Why do the (fawning) press not even comment? In Italy the corruption scandal involved the connivance of their equivalent of the FA as well as referees. And for years fans -= especially of the Milan clubs - claimed refereeing decisions were too unfavourable, and were dismissed as paranoid. And, oh dear, look what the truth was. How do we know that somehting similar doesn't happen here given United are SUCH a big and powerful club? How do we know it's just moral intimidation (which is bad enough) rather than something more corrupt? The Juve scandal came to public knowledge because of press investigation partly - in Britain that would not happen. Because the conspiracy of silence, which is what i was talking about, continues over here.

But, yeah, it's just bitterness... :wallbutt:

Over the past ten years United have had more penalties given against them in Champions League games at Old Trafford than premiership matches. Now, given the maximum number of home ties in Europe one can play is 7 in a season (assuming a team goes all the way to the semis) and 19 in the league, statistically that is extraordinary. It also suggests that foreign referees are less susceptible to intimidation, or - dare i say it - corruption.

These stats are pretty meaningless. How does that record compare to us, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona, Milan?

How about the standard of opposition in the champions league is higher and away teams are more likely to attack at Old Trafford hence they'll get into the penalty area more often than the likes of Fulham would?

This penalties at Old Trafford thing is bollocks. How often are penalties awarded to the opposition at Anfield? Rarely, because the standard of defending from the top teams is higher and the opposition attack less.

There's plenty of room for Manc bashing and plenty of arguments to suggest they get it their own way too often, but not when it comes to penalties. It's no different for them than it is for us.

He WAS a good ref. He's been shite every time I've seen him this season.

Not read all of this thread but I've noticed Howard Webb has been shit this season, I wonder whether it has anything to do with the amount of 'big' games he gets now? It seems he gets every game on TV, being the 'best ref' looks to have gone to his head.